Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just bought this game during the sale (it was 0% off!) because it showed up in my queue. Fun so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The randomly generated name for my 3rd go round (in about 15 hours of play) is The Inspiring Trainwreck, and oh what a wreck it has been. I had a stable base at 7 dupes and algae was running low so I tapped into a slime biome to refine, but that turned out to be a terrible way to go. I had about 5 cycles where they were spending about half their time suffocating and/or starving because there wasn't any oxygen (not overwhelmed by co2, just near-vacuum from scrubbers). They were all stressed from everything.
Since, I've managed to go another 40 cycles from disaster to disaster. I switched back to muck bars or whatever they are (since the farm had died off) to solve starvation, and managed to get them to complete an electrolyzer setup before any deaths. Then power generation was an issue, so I got the hydrogen generators going (previously I had 3 coal generators out of coal, and two NG generators running off a single geyser). After that, my water reservoir ran empty, so I spent a while tapping into a steam geyser. Now, I've got the problem of my base getting hot from filling my reservoir with hot water, so I'm working on a cooling system. At the same time, my septic reservoir has filled and I need to get that pumped out.

E: PS this is fun.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, the problem I'm having now is that I'm producing too much oxygen, and I don't know what to do with it. My gas pumps with the electrolyzers have nowhere to put it in the entire place. There's almost no CO2 left to scrub out. I'd try to freeze it or liquefy it or something, but I can't generate enough power to do that. Is there something I'm missing or did I just start scraping the limit of this map? (I only have one NG geyser so that only gets me 1600W (-240 for the pump, 120 for the filter, and 120 for the scrubber, so net +1220W). Each of the four electrolyzer setups is only producing a net of 80W (800 - 240 -240 -120 -120) and that's even when it's running constant (which it can't right now).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

No. There may be others. My understanding is that they tend to appear in court, and that I just got the short end of the RNG. Will they always be partially exposed?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'll do some exploration. There's lots of slime biome around me. E: Found a void. That could help with my excess O2 problem. E2: found 4 steam geyser (plus the one I'm already using) before finding one other NG geyser.

carticket fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 25, 2017

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you're using the hydrogen, eventually you may want to open the doors and have the O2 leak out because the base will have hit max pressure. It does depend on how many dupes you have and if you're scrubbing the CO2. This is the problem I'm up against right now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dogen posted:

I usually pipe out excess oxygen to nearby ice and slime biomes so dupes can breathe at the old sleet wheat farm and in the natural gas power plant, but I keep an airlock up (although if it's a door they use CONSTANTLY I put in an electronic door even though they suck power). It's also helpful because you can cool O2 in the ice biome and send it back as a form of A/C if you're keeping up a mealwood or bristleberry farm, or to use cold gas to cool a hot water dumping tank.

My second NG Geyser is near a void, so I'm going to flush it to vacuum and seal it up so I can run without a gas filter.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm trying to maximize power available for other tasks, and it's only one geyser, so that one filter costs 60W/generator.

That brings up another thing I think the game needs: more unpowered items. I'd love to have a drain tile that will allow liquid into a pipe provided that the exit points are below it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

They're going to need to add more ways to delete things. With the new bottling system, I would have overflowed with water from melting ice and the geyser. Having lots of options to create stuff (steam and NG geyser) and not as many to get rid of stuff (void, CO2 scrubber, deodorizer) is problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I wish they would rework phase changes. Not being able to cool a gas to liquid without using hydrogen is annoying.