Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
young people are people with rights who get shat on by the government and their elders enough already, thy shouldnt be legally compelled to do forced labour

if its voluntary then go ahead who gives a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Wal-Mart™ is proud to offer National Service opportunities for unpaid labor to support your community with the construction of parking lots and supercenters

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

XMNN posted:

young people are people with rights who get shat on by the government and their elders enough already, thy shouldnt be legally compelled to do forced labour

I would be all for civil service equating to free education at federally funded universities. I don't think it should actually be compulsory, just because I don't think anyone would learn from something they're really forced to do

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

XMNN posted:

That's why I said it should be mandatory for everyone. Drag all those 50-year old middle managers out into the wilderness and have them plant some loving trees instead. They're the ones who burned all the old ones.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
alternatively make it retroactive, all those old fuckers saying bring back national service whenthey never did it and they would poo poo themselves if they were required to would at least make it fair

you shouldn't be able to vote to make someone else do something without the possibility of you also being made to do it

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Hobologist posted:

That's why I said it should be mandatory for everyone. Drag all those 50-year old middle managers out into the wilderness and have them plant some loving trees instead. They're the ones who burned all the old ones.

lol snap

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
lol

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

XMNN posted:

alternatively make it retroactive, all those old fuckers saying bring back national service whenthey never did it and they would poo poo themselves if they were required to would at least make it fair

you shouldn't be able to vote to make someone else do something without the possibility of you also being made to do it

Dude, get out of my head!

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Hobologist posted:

It's not a net win for the people who fix roads or maintain forests for a living now. They're one of the few jobs that can't be outsourced and now you expect them to compete with what is basically prison labor? It may be a gross win, but not a net one.

I agree, but in my idea fantasy America this would offer more like part time gigs to college students. I know stuff like this exists already, but I'd like to see it expanded on.

An optional "public service corps" or whatever you want to call it, instead of the military, for people who want to serve.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Old people are useless for compulsory service jobs and should certainly be grandfathered in if you ever hope for such an idea to fly

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

We could use a shitload of basic manual labor in the US, and there are tons of people where, given a basic task, they would really excel in life instead of just drifting into a fast-food job or no job at all. I still think everyone should get swim/firearm/first-aid training, but I'm totally cool with a plethora of civil-service options. Anyone who's extra good at bayonetting can be offered a segue into the Marines.

I tried to edit this into my last post, but essential life skills that maybe not all families have access to, should be part of formal education. For instance, my high school had mandated foreign language, swimming, first aid and sex education. Other than that, teaching most basic life skills are the parents' jobs, not the government's job (which we all pay for).

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
So here's the plan:. Free college for two years of civil service, jobs include, but are not limited to:
Military
Medicine
Fire
Infrastructure (roads, bridges, great walls)
National park service
I guess police

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Dial-a-Dog posted:

So here's the plan:. Free college for two years of civil service, jobs include, but are not limited to:
Military
Medicine
Fire
National park service
I guess police

This is good, baby boomers would hate it

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Military
Medicine
Fire
National park service
I guess police

And all old people with college degrees who didn't do all that stuff can pay us back. With interest.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
: baby boomer executioner, punisher suit not provided but compensated upon proof of kill

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Dial-a-Dog posted:

: baby boomer executioner, punisher suit not provided but compensated upon proof of kill

Death Panels need lots of data-entry nugs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Nobody made you choose the Air Force.

yeah, that's fair

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Military
Medicine
Fire
National park service
I guess police

Americorps is basially nps and education, it should be expanded to include all these and become the thing we are talking about

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yes let's take every capable 18 year old and build the infrastructure to do this with hundreds of billions of dollars and then remove those people from the workforce for 2 years of their lives and delay their college education as well

I mean look at how well it's working for South Korea's population! Durrrrrrrr

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Teikanmi posted:

Yes let's take every capable 18 year old and build the infrastructure to do this with hundreds of billions of dollars and then remove those people from the workforce for 2 years of their lives and delay their college education as well

Hell, let's make it 10 years. It's working even better for North Korea.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Zesty Mordant posted:

Americorps is basially nps and education, it should be expanded to include all these and become the thing we are talking about

A girl I used to work with started in americorps actually, and until I worked with her I had never heard of it before. It's basically the blueprint for my idea

Also, to my eternal shame I wanted to, and started to, apply to the peace corps between my graduation and getting my non service job. Got my job too quick, though, and I never did it. I still feel like I did my part EMSing though

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I used to volunteer for Habitats for Humanity and generally it's easy to put people to a simple task & make them all produce a meaningful end

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Teikanmi posted:

Oh man, you're right, my office full of forty something software engineers who like to tell me about COBOL really needs 21-22 year olds and will suffer greatly from a public works movement that would make prospects 23-24 instead

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

super sweet best pal posted:

Requiring a mandatory two years of menial grunt work before entering college would reduce the dropout rate and liberal arts enrollment numbers a ton.

Alternatively, it'd make sure that nobody signs up in the first place because who would want to waste even more years than is already required focusing on college when they could be living their life doing whatever they want

edit: It also would further devalue a college education because a big part of why they are so valuable in the working world is because it's not free as hosed up as that is, which in turn would defeat another big point of going which is to gain a leg up on people who didn't go

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I think college should be free the same as high school, but we live in the real world and 1) everyone else disagrees and 2) it is both harmless and beneficial to suggest that young people should engage in civil service. Also people hate each other a whole lot less when they work together and depend on each other. I'm as white as it gets, and one of my old EMS partners was a literal black panther, we used to talk about comic books and classic rock and that guy turned out to be alright (he may still hate me though idk)

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Oh man, you're right, my office full of forty something software engineers who like to tell me about COBOL really needs 21-22 year olds and will suffer greatly from a public works movement that would make prospects 23-24 instead

Probably no worse than an office full of forty-two something software engineers who spent two years hauling saplings up a mountain in Oregon while their young replacements have been busy making them even more obsolete.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If the GI Bill has taught us anything, it's that a lot of people won't bother going to college even when it's free, so nobody is in danger of having a BA become universal across the American populace.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Teikanmi posted:

And let's immediately fire all police, firefighters, forestry, public works and EMS workers nationwide because now we have an infinite supply of teenagers who are going to do all that work by decree.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So basically you want to government to provide every citizen with two free years of education and vocational training op. OK yeah seems doable

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

I would MUCH rather pay for kids to attend college than national service. College has the same benefits of meeting new people from other cultures around the country as well as bonding experiences sharing dorms or having roommates. Also the kids come out with an education.

e: And if we as a society really decide all kids have to have some basic life skills then mandate that curriculum at the high school or college level.

Globalist trash.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Hobologist posted:

Probably no worse than an office full of forty-two something software engineers who spent two years hauling saplings up a mountain in Oregon while their young replacements have been busy making them even more obsolete.

It says a fair bit about American life that you could take 95% of the population and make them haul saplings up a mountain in Oregon for two years and they'd be *better* rather than worse off.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Pawn 17 posted:

And let's immediately fire all police, firefighters, forestry, public works and EMS workers nationwide because now we have an infinite supply of teenagers who are going to do all that work by decree.

Please do, I don't know about forestry, but the rest of the services are infested with idiots, racists, people who can't physically do the job, or some variety pack of all three. Public services need youth, and they need people who haven't sat around developing prejudices for years/decades

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Also, to my eternal shame I wanted to, and started to, apply to the peace corps between my graduation and getting my non service job. Got my job too quick, though, and I never did it. I still feel like I did my part EMSing though

Funny how the two people in the thread who think this would be a good idea are the ones who think they already did it and wouldn't have to do it again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I think college should be free the same as high school, but we live in the real world and 1) everyone else disagrees and 2) it is both harmless and beneficial to suggest that young people should engage in civil service. Also people hate each other a whole lot less when they work together and depend on each other. I'm as white as it gets, and one of my old EMS partners was a literal black panther, we used to talk about comic books and classic rock and that guy turned out to be alright (he may still hate me though idk)

The US needs fewer nationalistic people, not more.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pawn 17 posted:

Or on the opposite end, fire everyone in the military below the rank of Staff Sergeant or Major? You can jam all kinds of labor below even the lowest position in the US and simply free to up the other people to do more of the harder parts of their jobs. I'd love to have a bunch of teenagers doing the menial poo poo for my job while I do the cerebral poo poo.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 26, 2017

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
When I finally have a heart attack shitposting, I want a crew full of 20 something newbs pounding on my chest, not a fat fifty year old who never got his paramedic card

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Americans should generally get some real life experience for a couple years between high school and college so they have a better grasp on the requirements of working life as well as life without government mandated time-tables

Volunteer work, emergency training classes, and humanitarian work would be good for that transitory period

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Dial-a-Dog posted:

When I finally have a heart attack shitposting, I want a crew full of 20 something newbs pounding on my chest, not a fat fifty year old who never got his paramedic card

I somehow read "supple" into the first half of your post.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Hobologist posted:

Funny how the two people in the thread who think this would be a good idea are the ones who think they already did it and wouldn't have to do it again.

Funny how you read my eternal regret and assumed I wouldn't do it again. I already did it, I don't think you did, if I had the means I would do it again tomorrow but right now I have to pay off the student loans that EMS would literally never afford for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
                      ( Woof woof ! ! )
                                  /

• Locked thread