Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Website | Steam Page | Youtube | Fan Wiki

Steam launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIZ7c72WsA0 (Feb 2017)
Game is 10% off until March 3rd due to the Steam launch. $17.99USD

quote:

Blackwake is a multiplayer naval warfare FPS game focused on teamwork and cooperation.
Fire the cannons, repair the sails, sweep the poopdeck and sink enemy ships or board them with firearms and steel!
Released to steam as an early access game this weekend for PC and Mac, Blackwake has been in development for over two years now and had a kickstarter a year ago to raise money for the two developers.
Features
Become a Captain, crew the cannons or repair the ship
Ship boarding, melee and FPS combat
Upto 54 players on a single server crewing multiple ships
Dedicated server hosting
Free future content and DLC

http://i.imgur.com/jlJlAVc.mp4

Gameplay
Two teams, the Pirates and the Royal Navy crew various ships and battle eachother on the high seas in various weather conditions.

Each ship has a captain who can control the ships movement and issue commands to his crewmates, upto 15 of them on the one ship. Crewmates select a loadout of primary, secondary and melee weapons and carry out duties such as re-arming the cannons, firing cannons and deck guns at enemies, repairing the ships sails or hull, putting out fires and pumping water out of the ship. When close enough the captain may order for grappling hooks to be loaded into the cannons to immobilize an enemy ship for boarding action.

The main gamemode sees each team crewing three ships. One galleon and two smaller schooners on a 54 player server. At the start of each round you chose a team, then a ship to spawn on. You can nominate yourself to be Captain and the crew will choose who leads them. If you don't do a good job they can chose to mutiny midgame and replace you. It is similar to Battlefield with a 'tick' for each respawn and when the counter reaches zero the other team will win.

Captains can name and choose a colour scheme for their ships at the beginning of each round.

There are also smaller 1v1 and 2v2 game modes.
http://i.imgur.com/9bD8d3U.gifv

Tips & Guides
Port - the left side of the ship.
Starboard - the right side of the ship.
Bow - the front of the ship.
Stern - the rear of the ship.

If you cannot connect/select a server after purchasing the game, reboot the game and try again. Alternatively use the steam server browser. View > Servers - Filter game: Blackwake.

Interact with cannons by pressing E. Pick up Gunpowder from the supply box, place in cannon with LMB. Pick up shot (Cannonball or Grapeshot) and load into cannon, then hold LMB to ram/pack the cannon. Press E to move the cannon forward again, hold E to view where the cannon is pointing, LMB to light the fuse and fire (~2 seconds later)
  • Press Q to make sure the ship you are shooting isn't an ally. Allied ships will have names above them. Pressing Q will also reveal the objective score 'ticks/tickets'
  • Press 1 for Primary weapon, 2 for secondary, 3 for melee, 4 for special item, 5 for repair hammer.
  • The swivel guns mounted on the deck are filled with chain shot, perfect for shredding the sails of your target.
  • While holding the hammer (5) holes in the ships hull will glow red so you can find and repair them.
  • To repair the sails you need to be climbing the rigging or up in the crows nest. A hammer icon will appear above a damaged sail.
  • You can heal yourself or others by drinking Tea (Royal Navy) or Grog (Pirates) if you have it equipped as a special loadout item (number 4). LMB heals yourself, RMB heals others.
  • Press S to back away from using a cannon, swivel gun or pump.
  • If your supply box has run out of gunpowder or shot you can hold down Q to find the supply crates on your ship. Go to them and press E to pick one up and take it back to your cannons.
  • Grapeshot is useful at close range or broadside for raking an enemy ship. Essentially a shotgun blast. Cannonballs are the main loadout for cannons and are effective at all ranges.
  • Grappling hooks can only be loaded into cannons once the captain has given the order. He needs to steer the ship alongside a disabled/stationary ship for them to be effective.
  • As Captain, press C to bring up the command menu. Everyone can press Z or X for more commands/voice response.
  • Ramming is effective but might knock some holes in your hull as well as theirs.
  • When your ship is grappled you can look for the glowing red grapples and cut them loose. Your respawn timer is greatly increased whilst your ship is grappled.
  • Cannonballs are ineffective while shooting into a grappled ship and do no damage. Grapeshot however will still easily clear the deck of enemy players.
Official Crew Guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackwakeGame/comments/57wrer/a_crash_course_in_crewing/
Official Captain Guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=816247901

Videos
Kickstarter trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kQ5-7snE4 (Aug 2015)
Steam launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIZ7c72WsA0 (Feb 2017)

Full match play though, 2v2 small ships: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRU4qkH9X7Y (recommend watching this)
Random youtuber footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CPra2xePQ
Random youtuber footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viw30rQXSm8
Sovietwomble gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkLocLP46m4 (Oct 2015)

coordinated broadside volley - https://clips.twitch.tv/bmillz412/LovelyGnatUleetBackup
http://i.imgur.com/OsBsyA3.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/cSjzofX.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/WrCDry1.gifv

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Played a bunch last night and a good Captain with a mic makes a huge difference on a ship. I had an awesome captain who has us load all port with cannonballs and all starboard with grapples on a schooner and we trashed and boarded every ship that came our way. A captain who doesn't talk will doom a ship to confusion

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing this since the first alpha at the beginning of the last year. It has made phenomenal progress in just that time, and the game is addictingly fun to play. The devs are two guys from the US and Australia who develop it in their spare time and the quality of the game is testament to their dedication.

Consider the fact that their first KS failed, then their second ones goal was like 12k AUD.. They ended up making about 120k AUD. All content updates to Blackwake are guaranteed to be free and all items are usable off the bat. The only thing rank does is denote experience and unlock cosmetics for your character. Everyone has the same tools, it's just how you use them.

I can't say enough how this is probably the best game I've ever kiuckstartered and I hope more goons come to enjoy it as I have over the past year.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Skoll posted:

I've been playing this since the first alpha at the beginning of the last year. It has made phenomenal progress in just that time, and the game is addictingly fun to play. The devs are two guys from the US and Australia who develop it in their spare time and the quality of the game is testament to their dedication.

Consider the fact that their first KS failed, then their second ones goal was like 12k AUD.. They ended up making about 120k AUD. All content updates to Blackwake are guaranteed to be free and all items are usable off the bat. The only thing rank does is denote experience and unlock cosmetics for your character. Everyone has the same tools, it's just how you use them.

I can't say enough how this is probably the best game I've ever kiuckstartered and I hope more goons come to enjoy it as I have over the past year.

I got this today and I've been really enjoying it except for the part where it's hard to join a server but otherwise it's the best.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This is looking pretty fun. After the disappointment of Naval Action, I've been looking for something to scratch that Age of Sail itch.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Watching a broadside blast from an enemy gib and send flying half your ships crew is both pretty funny but also oh poo poo panic inducing. Only two alive on a schooner that now has five holes in it is A Bad Day

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Should put stuff from this into the OP, especially the How to Captain stuff.

https://www.blackwake-wiki.com/

Pringlescan4
Jul 6, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This a pretty fun game. It scratches the cooperative and tactical thinking itch that playing clan wars in World of Tanks used to scratch, but without making me dedicate my life to having 9pm to 12:30am literally everyday booked. God I hope they don't release a clan wars type content patch or i might be in real trouble.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pringlescan4 posted:

This a pretty fun game. It scratches the cooperative and tactical thinking itch that playing clan wars in World of Tanks used to scratch, but without making me dedicate my life to having 9pm to 12:30am literally everyday booked. God I hope they don't release a clan wars type content patch or i might be in real trouble.

Devs have confirmed there will be no match making or parties or lobbies in the game. What you see in a server is what you get, basically.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Just got this today and holy poo poo I'm in love. If you ever wanted to know what Guns of Icarus would be like if every crew member was taken straight from Chivalry, you have your answer: it's fantastic.

Echoing that getting a good captain really can make all the difference. Went through a series of lovely, racist blowhards and got murdered repeatedly until I went Pirate. Ended up with someone who took us through three straight games of total domination. We had the highest crew hits by far, zero friendly fire, and barely any casualties (I didn't die once) despite being aggressive as poo poo and taking part in several boarding actions. All without micromanaging -- just called when to shoot and let us know poo poo was coming up in advance, and pulled some truly slick maneuvers. Dude had over double the score of anyone else in the server even when we lost. It was insane.

So I looked up the guy's tag (it was what I assume is his RL name) and he's ex-Navy. Ops and Logistics. I'm dying laughing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Looks drat good. Kinda getting that Air Buccaneers vibe.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
had a guy with a really really nice french accent speaking english today and it made everything 100 times easier.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Fun game. I would love to see a bigger max player mode. Also add an admiral who commands the ships around and chooses what ship types are to be used. And more ship types.

But what's here is amazing. They worked on getting a solid base on which to add things too rather than feature creeping their way to bankruptcy.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 27, 2017

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm hoping they add a spyglass special item into the game. I had a captain on a galleon who stuck someone in the crows nest who would call out any approaching ships and it was super helpful since it allowed us to disengage any ship battle we were distracted with if there was a second ship trying to get involved

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm hoping they add a spyglass special item into the game. I had a captain on a galleon who stuck someone in the crows nest who would call out any approaching ships and it was super helpful since it allowed us to disengage any ship battle we were distracted with if there was a second ship trying to get involved

this would be great yeah.

personally my main wish is for more ship types at since most engagements generally go the same way with the 2 sloop 1 galleon standard.

I'd really like 1 massive ship for an entire team which could be really fun or really horrible.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
We had a woman on our crew that literally said everything with such a hilarious pirate accent and completely in-character. Would totally play on any ship that person was on, made the entire awesome experience that much more fun.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

this would be great yeah.

personally my main wish is for more ship types at since most engagements generally go the same way with the 2 sloop 1 galleon standard.

I'd really like 1 massive ship for an entire team which could be really fun or really horrible.

I think a bit more diversity amongst the ships without adding different size ships would be nice (think modules or specialization options for ships).

EDIT: Not sure how to delete this and combine with post above to avoid the double post, apologies mods for any annoyances.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'm really impressed by this so far, had some great fun when a captain actually talks and tells people below deck what is happening and what to expect in the next few moments.

They mentioned a big content update in May/June so perhaps before then they'll be able to hire a few freelancers to outsource some 3d models and items to help pad out the game while they code.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A spyglass for people in the crows nest would be great, maybe make it like the swivel guns in that you just need to press E while you're up on the riggings to pull it out. Also a compass on the Q/info screen for calling out headings and locations of the enemy.

Their discord server has a suggestions channel and the two devs seem to be active when they're online: https://discord.gg/tAxvjY3

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I just had an incredible series of games with the nearly the same 13 person pirate Galleon crew. By the fourth or fifth game we felt like an incredible oiled machine, and managed to totally annihilate the entire enemy fleet without even dropping below 100 tickets. That felt incredibly good. Those two hours were already worth the $18 tbh.

Edit: To be fair the boarding combat felt pretty janky, but I've been on a For Honor/FPS of the month kick for a while so that's to be expected. The cannon/teamwork mechanics are simple but important and spread around very intelligently which was very cool. There always felt like a job to do which is ideal in this kind of game.

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 28, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Having a lot of fun with this now that the frame drops have been mostly dealt with. I wish man to man combat felt better, but like almost any game with shooting from moving vehicles, the lag/desync is going to be tough for servers to handle. Melee combat is pretty bad right now and three hits to kill is a bit excessive considering how hard it is to register a hit. Hopefully the net code can be tightened up a bit. Different game modes might also be cool but I don't have any suggestions for what types yet.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

VulgarandStupid posted:

Having a lot of fun with this now that the frame drops have been mostly dealt with. I wish man to man combat felt better, but like almost any game with shooting from moving vehicles, the lag/desync is going to be tough for servers to handle. Melee combat is pretty bad right now and three hits to kill is a bit excessive considering how hard it is to register a hit. Hopefully the net code can be tightened up a bit. Different game modes might also be cool but I don't have any suggestions for what types yet.

Devs have already confirmed they are testing out a seige mode so I assume it will be boats vs sea fort which might be intresting.

agree with you on the reworking the melee combat though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Did they ever fix the audio bug where if somebody talked while you were under water your eardrums would be blown out? Cause that was annoying.

Also one of my fondest memories of the alpha was flipping the ship.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Custom servers were added in yesterdays patch and a patch earlier today made the server browser much better, allowing you to properly filter servers and it no longer connects to a server on one click, you now get the window with the server details before you join. The next hotfix will be for the way the game sends data at the start and end of games so that should improve some peoples connection issues a bit. Also a patch for Macs to bring all these changes inline with PCs.

This is a decent video of a pro crew working together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNq-_5EoAAo&t=849s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I hope they'll implement a way to keep your view outside the firing port after shooting. Half the time when we land a great volley I don't get to see anything of it because the view reverts back to the firing port.

Anyhow, game owns. It's incredibly satisfying when you manage to turn a server completely around with some proper coordination. Man-to-man combat is still pretty janky, so most of the time I'm just throwing and shooting grenades every which way. :v:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Game is a lot of fun, but melee is janky, as mentioned.

There also should probably be some sort of advantage to two-man guns or something. Now the dance by yourself on the gun feels a bit silly. Some sort of gunner class and loader class.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alright, this looks pretty appealing but I have one very important question:
Can I swing across to another ship on a rope, with a knife clutched between my teeth? This is very important to me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Alright, this looks pretty appealing but I have one very important question:
Can I swing across to another ship on a rope, with a knife clutched between my teeth? This is very important to me.

You can jump from your ships rigging to another ships rigging with a musket/shotgun, sidearm, and your choice of three different stabbing / slashing weapons.

I like to do it while Captain Blood plays in the background.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
This game is very very good. I just played it for an hour, and am very happy with my purchase. Grenades are awesome. I kind of wish you could change out the ammo types on the swivels though.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

This game is awesome. ''Twas a pirates life for me this weekend and I enjoyed every minute! Needs more goon hijinx though.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LeafHouse posted:

This game is awesome. ''Twas a pirates life for me this weekend and I enjoyed every minute! Needs more goon hijinx though.

I'm a little burnt out from playing for over a year. Once they get a party system sorted I think I will jump in full swing and maybe start a small goon group fit for crewing a hoy.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Skoll posted:

I'm a little burnt out from playing for over a year. Once they get a party system sorted I think I will jump in full swing and maybe start a small goon group fit for crewing a hoy.

Word. Has anyone gotten the bug where they have to keep repairing a single hole over and over and over again? Is it just caused by lag? I'm wondering if I should report it.

Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Word. Has anyone gotten the bug where they have to keep repairing a single hole over and over and over again? Is it just caused by lag? I'm wondering if I should report it.

It's done that to me once before; holes wouldn't repair, pumps would only pump for a few seconds, cannons wouldn't load, etc. I think it was desynched or something, leaving the server and rejoining seemed to fix the problem.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
http://www.blackwakeforums.com/

Blackwake has an actual forum now, so you don't have to use the piss ocean that is :reddit:.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
This is the best game.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
I managed to captain for the first time without being mutiny'd today.

man it is way harder than I expected.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I managed to captain for the first time without being mutiny'd today.

man it is way harder than I expected.

Yeah, for the longest time I thought the captain would get a zoomed-out view, perhaps with some additional info. Turns out that nope, a good chunk FoV is covered by the ship and masts around you.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, for the longest time I thought the captain would get a zoomed-out view, perhaps with some additional info. Turns out that nope, a good chunk FoV is covered by the ship and masts around you.

and people standing in your way.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

It's not so bad on the little ships but man I can't see poo poo when piloting the galleon. Captain is so much fun with a decent crew but makes me want to rage quit when I have to spend the majority of the game begging someone to get on the pumps.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Game's real fun (except desyncing off the boat)

If anyone's interested in plundering booty with Goons, BMW(http://discord.bmwdiscord.com) has been running nightly games for the last few days and even connedconvinced me to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just purchased this game today. Read OP. Starting out, whats the best way I can help my ship while learning?

• Locked thread