Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Just purchased this game today. Read OP. Starting out, whats the best way I can help my ship while learning?

Fix holes, pump water, run supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Hughmoris posted:

Just purchased this game today. Read OP. Starting out, whats the best way I can help my ship while learning?

Do things. If there's a hole, fix it. If there's a cannon that isn't loaded, load it. If there's a sail that needs to be fixed, fix it. That's all.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Always be doing something or be looking for something to do.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, sometimes I really wish there was a giant flashing "REPAIR THE GODDAMN HOLES, DUMBSHIT" sign I could throw at the pubbies. Even when the ship has a dozen holes, is on fire, all pumps disabled, and with no sails, there will always be several guys doing their level best reloading and shooting the cannons that are already three metres below the waterline. Nothing's more frustrating than being stuck at the pump, watching helplessly as people ignore the giant gaping holes in front of them while they plink away with the swivel guns or something. :argh:

Hughmoris posted:

So yeah, like my rant may have suggested, prioritise repairing things. The pump is the thing with the handle just behind the mast on the sloop. On the galley, there's one each towards the bow and stern on the lower deck. As a general rule of thumb, I'd put the overall priority of things somewhere like this: Manning pumps (when needed) > Fixing holes > Dousing Fire > Repairing sails > Loading/using cannon (if there's a target nearby) > Repairing cannon > Using swivel guns. There are times when some things may take precedence (e.g. when you have just one or two holes it can be more important to keep shooting), but unless the captain specifically tells you to, stick with the regular order. Remember Tirpitz' maxim: The first duty of a battleship is to stay afloat. :v:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I've literally never had the swivel guns do anything useful (except for the chain shot ones, they rock socks).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I've literally never had the swivel guns do anything useful (except for the chain shot ones, they rock socks).

The side ones are anti-crew. You aim them on the decks of the enemy ship. I've sniped MANY captains with side swivels.. The front are exclusively anti-sail and will do no damage against people.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Skoll posted:

The side ones are anti-crew. You aim them on the decks of the enemy ship. I've sniped MANY captains with side swivels.. The front are exclusively anti-sail and will do no damage against people.

Is there a secret to aiming the anti-crew swivel guns? I can't seem to hit poo poo with them, even at close range.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
First content patch is coming soon: http://steamcommunity.com/games/Blackwake/announcements/detail/521695432462971344

But already added is the spyglass below and new voices.

quote:

Spyglass is now available as a special option. Note that for now it is only slightly beneficial, showing you enemy ship captains/locations. It is also missing 3rd person animations at this time and will appear as a pistol (expect a hotfix for this). In the near future it will also give you information about the current damage state of that ship. The ultimate goal of the spyglass is to require a spyglass to spot a ship before your crew can see it by pressing Q. You will not be able to tell friendly or enemy ships apart (aside from the flag) until someone spots the ship.
Servers with friendly fire on will now have “FF ON” tagged to the end of the server name. Once we have more hardcore options we will classify FF under HC.
3 more voice actors added, two for pirates and one for navy. You are assigned a voice at random. Eventually you’ll be able to pick in the customize options.

Coming soon: New game mode!

quote:

CAPTURE THE BOOTY!
In other news we have a new gamemode in the works, capture the booty! If you are interested in taking part in the early stability/balance tests be sure to join our discord. Capture the booty focuses more on land battles and boarding, which we thought would be a great contrast to those of you who have been pouring hours into our TDM modes. Two teams of two hoys will fight for a chest of treasure located on an island between your bases. Do what it takes to claim your riches!

Plus more weapons coming soon (pictures of all these are in the update post): Double flintlock pistol, boarding pike, throwable harpoons, two handed axe & Matchlock Arquebus

And a strawpoll to vote for what to see in the future, a 1v1 hoy 5 man crew mode (e-sports/competition) or a different new mode: http://www.strawpoll.me/12547124

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 18, 2017

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yessss more. I need more. I can't wait until this is more full featured. It's already a fun as hell game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got this yesterday and it's already the most fun multiplayer game I've got. The level of coordination a ship with only a few players with mics can achieve is staggering as long as everyone pays attention to an attentive captain. I played on a galleon where only 2 or 3 of the players aboard had mics, and we managed to board and sink two enemy galleons in a row and never got sunk ourselves.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Last man alive on my ship. Six holes and sinking, sails in shreds, a fire growing on the captains deck. No chance I can prop the ship up long enough for my teammates spawning to mean anything. As I'm sinking I use a side swivel gun to snipe the enemy captain on the ship the destroyed ours as a parting gently caress you :getin:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Played a few rounds as captain of a hoy for the first time. Holy crap is it difficult. The coordination seems easy at first, but it's really easy to accidentally crash into other ships from trying to divide your attention between all the different sides and direct people to guns and holes. One time I even forgot that W and S aren't used for accelerating and decelerating like most games and accidentally stepped backwards off the ship at full speed trying to avoid a crash.

Speaking of sniping captains, I did that in a melee on a snowy island map today. The enemy ship had T-boned our galleon and was trying to board, so our captain brought us up alongside and stopped. The ships were stationary long enough for me to headshot him with a musket.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Whoops didn't see that this thread already existed for Blackwake, closed the one I made earlier today.

Oh my god, I love this game! Is there a goon group somewhere that plays this game? It'd be amazing to get a coordinated goon squad going!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfortunately I don't think the game has set up a party system yet, so there's no way to guarantee playing on the same boat unless you join an empty server with sufficient people to go to war with each other.

I played a little at lunch today. Our hoy got sunk after a collision and boarding by an enemy ship....which was low enough in the water that all the survivors climbed aboard. We hacked and shot everyone until we had captured the ship without our own having respawned yet.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey, been playing this for a while, having a good time. Anyone down to join a goon group if I were to make one?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, been playing this for a while, having a good time. Anyone down to join a goon group if I were to make one?

Definitely! Has the game added parties yet?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I had the same question. The game would be great with a group.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Not yet, but the community wants it so they're working on it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I had the same question. The game would be great with a group.

Parties? Not trying to sound dumb but I haven't done FPS multiplayer much since the HL1 era. What are parties, in this instance?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Parties? Not trying to sound dumb but I haven't done FPS multiplayer much since the HL1 era. What are parties, in this instance?

It lets you join a game all at once with your friends, and preferably puts you all on the same team and hopefully same ship. This is a product of Xbox live/match making, as opposed to just joining servers straight up.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A party system that allows you to queue as a Sloop Crew or Galleon Crew would be lit.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
New game mode "Capture the Booty" is out.

Here's the trailer :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V7FuvNsPO4

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not sure if it was the patch, the servers I was on, or my own connection being poo poo, but I had some weird network trouble last night. I'd be playing at a server with my ping generally staying at 30 or so, but once every 2-3 minutes it'd spike to like 1200 for a couple seconds, and I'd lag out and glitch off the boat. Has anyone else experienced this?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not sure if it was the patch, the servers I was on, or my own connection being poo poo, but I had some weird network trouble last night. I'd be playing at a server with my ping generally staying at 30 or so, but once every 2-3 minutes it'd spike to like 1200 for a couple seconds, and I'd lag out and glitch off the boat. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yeah it's happened to me a few times

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

chitoryu12 posted:

I wasn't able to join with my friends through the server browser, but we were in a steam group chat and the "join game" link worked fine to get us in game.

I'm totally down, be nice to work with a coordinated group. I think that grappling hook respawn timer could be deadly if you could follow it up with some grapeshot volleys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Are there any bigger ships with multiple gun decks in this game? Or is it all just sloops?

I like the idea of a multiplayer crew of different roles, like Guns of Icarus. But looks like this is still pretty light on content and early in development.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Are there any bigger ships with multiple gun decks in this game? Or is it all just sloops?

I like the idea of a multiplayer crew of different roles, like Guns of Icarus. But looks like this is still pretty light on content and early in development.

In the bigger Fleet gamemode you also get one larger galleon per team. IIRC, that one has two or three guns per broadside up on deck, and then another dozen or so on a bigger gun deck down below. Additionally it's also got two pumps instead of one, making it quite a bit more resilient than a sloop.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Since the Naval Action thread got archived, I'mma leave this here for anyone who has this bookmarked :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WknfCyQObjk

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Skoll posted:

Since the Naval Action thread got archived, I'mma leave this here for anyone who has this bookmarked :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WknfCyQObjk

If i was wearing panties they would be damp.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That game looks bad.

Give me a semi-historic Naval Action game that isn't generic pirates with giant red sails and skulls & crossbones everywhere.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Popete posted:

That game looks bad.

Give me a semi-historic Naval Action game that isn't generic pirates with giant red sails and skulls & crossbones everywhere.

Oh man, Naval Action. Beautiful ships, realistic but easy sailing, super fun giant fights even in the earliest stages of the alpha.

And then they turned the drat thing into a grindy as hell MMO where you have to toil hours for every minute of actual fun. :negative:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My big concern is that Blackwake risks getting pushed off the market and accused of being a "cheap clone" because it's not from a major developer.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

My big concern is that Blackwake risks getting pushed off the market and accused of being a "cheap clone" because it's not from a major developer.

I dont think that will happen, Blackwake has a very installed playerbase and its a very fun game.

However, its not the MMO type that some crave since PotBS is gone, Naval Action is a bust, and Sea of Thieves doesn't look fun. I signed up for the Skull and Bones beta so I guess we'll see what happens.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I wish some of the Blackwake community was less autistic age of sail basement types and more willing to embrace that its Pirates of the Caribbean where everyone rams everyone else while making dick jokes with a pirate accent.

I loving love this game though!

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 14, 2017

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Is the playerbase healthy? it will probably go up for awhile in the Steam summer sale, but how is it right now?

I stay away from most pvp multiplayer only games, unless theyre called Battlefield, but I've kept this one on my wishlist since release.

Perestroika posted:

Oh man, Naval Action. Beautiful ships, realistic but easy sailing, super fun giant fights even in the earliest stages of the alpha.
And then they turned the drat thing into a grindy as hell MMO where you have to toil hours for every minute of actual fun. :negative:

Yeah they have ignored the "Action" part of Naval Action. Last time I played they had a new crew buying mechanic and I didn't have the money to man my ship :(

It's too bad because the basic combat gameplay is really fun. They've had some major patch(es) lately but I haven't bothered to go back and see if it's any better (it probably isnt).

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Well that sounds like poo poo now. boo.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Skoll posted:

PotBS is gone

It's still technically alive https://play.burningsea.com/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Goast posted:

It's still technically alive https://play.burningsea.com/

Nobody plays though :cry:

And updates or support are non-existant.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Blackwake got more interesting in the latest update with more small ships. The sloop (schooner?) Has more cannons than the hoy and is faster but is also a lot more vulnerable, while the junk is slower, does no ramming damage, but has a front-facing cannon and is harder to sink.

It's fun as it is but I'm excited for later updates. If you luck into a ship with a couple good players you can mop the floor with pubbies, and once friend - groups get integrated it'll be even more lopsided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This game is the best but there's only about 3-400 people on at any given point at time and it seems to be split evenly between weird edgy dudes who name their boats the SS Auschwitz, the dumbest people imaginable who like to stare down their rifle sights at the galleon who's blowing you up while you have 10 holes in you, and normal people who might be decent or might not.

• Locked thread