Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
OP should probably update since they added two more ships and a new game mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Bought this because of the summer sale. Big fan of Mount and Musket type games, add in ships and lovely players and I'm sold. It even has lovely Voice taunts, this game is great! If there's ever a Goon group for crews let me know. Not sure if the game will get big enough, but whatever.

For now, I'll just sip tea on my sinking ship while some basement dweller yells at me over VOIP.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
This is a fun game for a Alpha.

Its really fun to grapple ships then board them and wildly swing my sword while chasing the enemy.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got this, it's a lot of fun. A goon group would be cool.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Apparently they just pushed out an update and the friendlist thing works now? I was too busy playing fallout for like a fuckin' lame-o

sometimes I get kinda drunk and start singing into my mic

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A rousing round of shanties would be amazing if everyone joined in.

I'll be the dude doing the inappropriately happy "HEY"s during Lowlands Away

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

OK, so the party tag system is now implemented. It'll allow up to 7 players to use a tag to get in on games together. Anyway, the tag I'm using is "Goons" so use the tag "Goons" (not sure if it's caps-sensitive, but I capitalized the G) if y'all wanna play together.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This game loving owns bones. The sound design on it is superb and matched only by the wonderfully awful voice acting. I'll set up a tag later because a Goony boat would be great

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

A guy being as useful as the average pubbie.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

im the guy taking potshots with a musket while all the cannon are unloaded and the enemy ships are a mile away

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I do it because occasionally I get a kill and feel like a god.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

im the guy taking potshots with a musket while all the cannon are unloaded and the enemy ships are a mile away

I'm the captain who gives the order to fire and then immediately starts throwing the rudder back and forth. And who then brings our sloop broadside to broadside with an enemy galleon.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

COMRADES posted:

I got this, it's a lot of fun. A goon group would be cool.

+1 looking for a goon group as well, may we set sail on the HMS Gorka

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The muskets are hit scan. I've got across the map kills before in alpha.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Perestroika posted:

I'm the captain who gives the order to fire and then immediately starts throwing the rudder back and forth. And who then brings our sloop broadside to broadside with an enemy galleon.

im the captain that does this and then stops all forward movement

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I haven't played since launch really and logged in to try the new ships.

Was able to prestige once off the bat and halfway through the second immediately.

The junk is loving garbage though, holy poo poo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
New patch today, nothing grand.

quote:

- Annley, cutlass, and various other weapons should now properly contribute to medals.
- Opposite factions tickets have been hidden, an experimental change as we've noticed it has positive effects in other games.
- Kickstarter badge is now available as an overwrite for those of you who backed stowaway and above.
- Stat medal values have been adjusted.
- Grunts added for melee swings (better impact sounds on the way for the victim of a nice slice, too!)

Our main change for this patch is our brand new win screen which is still in it's early stages that will display your player avatar and a chosen (not yet implemented) medal to display, if you should feel the need to flex.

We've also introduced noob-friendly marked servers. When custom servers rose in popularity we phased out our official servers because it was unrealistic for us to keep them moderated, the community is usually best at doing this themselves. Recently we've been noticing reports of many toxic servers in negative reviews and in our discord, so we contemplated introducing official servers again and putting customs in a separate tab. We felt that this would hurt all custom communities as a whole, which we did not want to do.

Instead we've opted to recognize those servers that foster positive, well managed communities and endorse them. For a long time we would play on servers as developers but admins/mods continued to recognize us and be on their best behavior. Over the past couple weeks we've been playing on servers undercover with freshly created Steam accounts to get an idea for how the most populated servers were representing our game and treating new players.

These servers will come and go, as we along with our moderation team will always keep an eye out for those that deserve it. They will take up a maximum of 5 top slots, and can be various communities.

The goal here is to funnel new players into these servers to gain experience in a positive environment. We know some players are completely fine with toxicity and find it more fun and competitive especially with rival veteran filled servers, but sadly that is not the kind of environment that welcomes new players.

As with any update we will definitely improve how this system works in the future.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I got a fairly long distance kill once with a musket.

Turned out I was on a friendly fire server ...

I was still proud.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

if i'm on an ff server, the last thing i do before i log off is order a broadside into a friendly ship right at the start of the match

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

if i'm on an ff server, the last thing i do before i log off is order a broadside into a friendly ship right at the start of the match

It gives your teammates on that ship a load of free XP for fixing it up and pumping whilst waiting to reach the enemy ships. How generous.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Skoll posted:

So I haven't played since launch really and logged in to try the new ships.

Was able to prestige once off the bat and halfway through the second immediately.

The junk is loving garbage though, holy poo poo.

The way you wreck people with the junk is by loading grapeshot in the front single cannon and ramming enemy ships.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fix Lag posted:

The way you wreck people with the junk is by loading grapeshot in the front single cannon and ramming enemy ships.

Truth. A couple of games ago I decided to start loading that front cannon with grape, and the captain quickly picked up on it, and from then on out it was murder town. He'd charge in, I'd touch off the cannon a second before impact for 3+ kills every time, and the collision itself would cause enough damage to keep what's left of the enemy crew busy for a while. With the wide-open front it's easy to then lob grenades and boarders over to the enemy ship while they're still scrambling to react. And the best part is that the junk has no bowsprit that would be damaged by a collision, so it can keep right on moving and follow up that ram with an immediate point-blank broadside. We've actually managed to outright sink a couple of enemy ships with just a single charge each that way.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Weird. Did they patch that? I thought the junk did no damage when it rammed. I remember being rammed by junks and not seeing any damage/deaths.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

I don't believe the junk does much if any damage when it rams.* The key to utilizing it successfully as more than just a gun platform is to load grapeshot in the front cannon, a grapple in each of the side cannons closest to the front (or if you're really good and know what the gently caress's up just the one you plan on using) and the rest regular shots. You ram them and get a good shot off with the front cannon to clear the deck, then immediately grapple before they can respawn and finish them off by boarding.

I was part of this with a good crew on a regular server and we got ~80 kills among 7 people in one round. The junk's way better suited than the other ships for close range, aggressive action because it's the only small one that can ram and grapeshot simultaneously. It's not meant to be a broadside machine or supplemental firepower to the galleon.

*someone go find this out

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Interesting. Think my favorite's still the schooner, though. Ten cannons and zippy as hell? sign me up!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
This game has improved since the last time I tried it. Anyone in here still playing it?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I plan on it but I've no idea when I'll be at my computer next

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I play it every so often. Can never seem to round up a goon ship though.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Just got the game and I'm down to crew a SA ship. Is the discord from page 2 still relevant? Link is expired.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

The new pike is currently the best melee weapon. Also, they added waterspouts, dangerous ice patches, a new main cruiser ship for the Navy (massive broadside power, no forward/rear cannons, rear-facing anti-sails) and volcanoes.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Steam this has on their winter sale, so I picked it up yesterday, and I have to say it's well worth the $13.

Biggest thing I have trouble with is boarding; how the hell do you tell the enemies from the friendlies? I know the outfits are technically different, but with the unlockable clothing/hats everyone looks pretty different and there's not an easy way to distinguish between factions. You can hold down Q so friendlies have their names above their head, but that's not an option in a chaotic melee. What am I missing?

I also got yelled at by a captain last night for unclear reasons. I had gone to get cannon supplies, but as I was approaching the cannons with it, someone else dropped some supplies in, so I had an armful of supplies and nowhere to put them. I just dropped them, and a moment later the captain says "I saw you do that, we kick people for that!" I asked what I had done, and all he said was "watch that trigger finger!" before he got interrupted.

My guess is that they were after me for wasting supplies, but I'm not sure what I could have done differently. Only alternative is they were accusing me of firing the cannons too much, which doesn't sound likely as I was landing probably 80% of my shots.

Regardless, I'm enjoying this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Capn Jobe posted:

Steam this has on their winter sale, so I picked it up yesterday, and I have to say it's well worth the $13.

Biggest thing I have trouble with is boarding; how the hell do you tell the enemies from the friendlies? I know the outfits are technically different, but with the unlockable clothing/hats everyone looks pretty different and there's not an easy way to distinguish between factions. You can hold down Q so friendlies have their names above their head, but that's not an option in a chaotic melee. What am I missing?

I also got yelled at by a captain last night for unclear reasons. I had gone to get cannon supplies, but as I was approaching the cannons with it, someone else dropped some supplies in, so I had an armful of supplies and nowhere to put them. I just dropped them, and a moment later the captain says "I saw you do that, we kick people for that!" I asked what I had done, and all he said was "watch that trigger finger!" before he got interrupted.

My guess is that they were after me for wasting supplies, but I'm not sure what I could have done differently. Only alternative is they were accusing me of firing the cannons too much, which doesn't sound likely as I was landing probably 80% of my shots.

Regardless, I'm enjoying this.

Some captains can be dickheads. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you're firing only when you can make a hit and not intentionally wasting supplies.

Have they made it so you can put supplies back yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I got gifted this by a friend and it seemed kinda silly and good fun? God dammit, Naval Action is also doing a spinoff thing that has none of that lovely open world, which do I play first ughh.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Truga posted:

Naval Action is also doing a spinoff thing that has none of that lovely open world

So like it was when the closed beta first came out? ugh they are gonna make you pay for that again aren't they

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Goast posted:

So like it was when the closed beta first came out? ugh they are gonna make you pay for that again aren't they

It's a f2p world of tanks/warthunder kind of deal where you work your way up from cutter to bigger ships up the tech "tree". I sunk a cutter yesterday and got 3000 silver and 241 xp, brig is next in line and costs 8000 and 1000 to unlock so the grind doesn't seem too bad from the start at least?

They did say there will be no premium ammo bullshit at least, so I'm checking it out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

It's a f2p world of tanks/warthunder kind of deal where you work your way up from cutter to bigger ships up the tech "tree". I sunk a cutter yesterday and got 3000 silver and 241 xp, brig is next in line and costs 8000 and 1000 to unlock so the grind doesn't seem too bad from the start at least?

They did say there will be no premium ammo bullshit at least, so I'm checking it out.

Ugh. Gonna pass on Naval Action the Second.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is there a thread on Naval Action, or could someone give me the rundown what it is like? I can't get a good handle on the autism level of it, or how much you can play with your buddies? Can you just sail with your friends and do teamwork, or does the game awkwardly instance and segregate?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Is there a thread on Naval Action, or could someone give me the rundown what it is like? I can't get a good handle on the autism level of it, or how much you can play with your buddies? Can you just sail with your friends and do teamwork, or does the game awkwardly instance and segregate?

It's archived ;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683189

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

So is this game pretty much Air Buccaneers, but on the water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

The naval combat in NA is great, the problem is they went down the MMO route where the game is one giant open world. It can take 15 minutes or longer to sail between ports. There is a fairly hefty grind to unlock better/bigger ships and the port take over mechanics are weird and I never figured it out. A lot of people just wanna play the combat part and not 18th century sailing for months on end simulator.

It's gotten some bad flack but honestly I think it's still a great game just because the naval combat is very pretty to look at and is pretty fun. They also have in beta currently what amounts to World of Sails (instanced engagements, unlock new ships/guns) which is what most people wanted from the beginning so if that appeals to you it might be worth picking up.

• Locked thread