Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Regarding some of the spoiler chat...

When they had that gigantic sale/auction a few years ago with the refrigerator that held their entire creative output, there was a mystery prize for 500 K or 1 Mil or whatever the sum was. My pet theory was that the mystery prize was that you *became* a Resident, or at least got complete control over their catalog. I could easily see Homer Flynn (it's a pretty safe assumption he's been in it for the long haul. Just listen to an interview with him and an interview with Randy back to back...) getting a nice chunk of change and saying "Thanks, it's your problem now!" leaving you to decide how the band was going to continue, or if you just wanted to reissue the back catalog for all time.

When I saw the 40th anniversary show (World Of Weird) tour, it did a THING to me. The entire show was based on how long they've been doing this, and how it's not going to last forever. Randy talked about Chuck wanting to leave and do his own thing with his husband on a chicken farm, and how that's totally ok. There was also a bit that I don't believe was scripted, where Randy kept checking his phone during instrumental passages and told us mid-way through the show that his cat was at the vet, and he was waiting for updates from his friend on his cat's condition. After seeing a few reunion tours or bands that just keep chugging going "Yeah, we can totally play cuts from our debut album 30 years ago, no problem!" it was especially chilling to see a band as opaque as The Residents talk about how it can't go on forever, and eventually people will leave and be replaced so they can continue making music as "The Residents", whatever that may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

5 million dollars. :eyepop:

Then that only adds evidence to my theory

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

My friend and I had :350: before the Shadowland show, and my mind couldn't really look at Randy without going nuts, but if I tried to look at the backdrop I thought it was going to come to the front of the stage.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I'm hoping that this is the format of the tour. It would be a very Residents thing to release an album with sparse arrangements, only to play it on the road as "No, THIS is how it should sound" with the real arrangement only heard live. Probably just a pipe dream.

• Locked thread