Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have Guilty Gear Xrd Sign on order from Gamestop. I've only played a GG game once, ten years ago. I'm really looking forward to it, the animation is gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Oh hell Yeah. PS4?
Yeah. I expect it to completely kick my rear end. The only other time I played was one of the PS2 ones. I played against someone who knew a bunch of technical combo poo poo, and I just played Faust and poked him or used the door attacks. Since he never managed to hard read what direction I was going to attack him from I just killed him every time. He'd spent way too long developing the wrong skills.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Nice. Whenever you get it we'll crack a lobby open, I recently switched to Venom and I've been trying to learn him.
Sweet. It's supposed to show up this week or next. I went in to buy it and they didn't have the disc, despite the case being on the shelf.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hizke posted:

You got sign or revelator?
Sign

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The last fighting game I played in any depth was Soul Calibur 3, which I wasn't particularly good at.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I thought Rev was the older one, and Sign the newer, because Sign is way more expensive on the PS store.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh weird. Huh. Well, if Sign turns out to be a bad starting place I can always move on to Rev.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's okay, I'm way too lovely to play against humans.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well, turns out I can't input commands for poo poo. Are there tricks to a PS4 controller?

Edit: Other than developing some calluses on my thumb before all the skin wears away from the d-pad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

i played it quite a bit with a pad and found it okay. go into the training mode, make sure the input viewer is on, and do whatever motion you're trying to do slowly and cleanly. you're probably trying to do a hadoken motion or whatever too fast and missing an input
This is super helpful. I'm trying to do Faust's combo with the spear, pull back, and then three aerial hits, and it's a ton of directional inputs super fast. I can usually hit them all, but not fast enough to keep the combo up. Same issue with doing a kill move or an overdrive or ultimate or whatever they're called. Putting in two hadokens that fast is still beyond me. But I have no fighting game muscle memory at all.

I guess I should practice some simpler combos. I went through the tutorial, but I forget all the stuff I can do when I actually do the arcade mode. I never remember to flawless defense or do the special shield block or roman cancel or anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="“HORMELCHILI”" post="“477095161”"]
how does this happen lol
[/quote]
A dark fate

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Now that I've started being able to push the buttons, what are some good strategies with Faust? He seems unusually defensive for a very rushdown-heavy game, without a ton of combos (that I've figured out).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

He's more a zoner because of his item toss. It's best to learn when you're safe to throw out an item and then react situationally to whatever you get to keep up pressure. You can also YRC door teleports to make them safe and instantly close the gap on people. His sweep is also huge, and picking up combos into knockdown off of it will be very useful. I think P-Mack has been learning Faust so he can help more than I can
The sweep (crouch + heavy slash is what you mean, right?) is already a staple part of my strategy. I love using the door to get around other characters who throw out projectiles, like Venom or uh... Ky, I think his name is?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="“Kongming”" post="“477121187”"]
Sweep is always down + Dust, with the exception of one or two characters. They’ll always cause knockdown when they connect. Super basic Guilty Gear strategy is to always try and confirm a hit into a knockdown, and comboing into sweep is a really easy way to do that.
[/quote]
Is there some way to determine where Faust's sweep pops up? It seems to have a super short range.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kongming posted:

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking "does Faust's sweep pop out in different places" the answer is no. Normals don't have variable hitboxes like that. You'll just have to get a feel on the range of it.

If you're asking "in what situations would I use Faust's sweep" then I can't really provide an answer in good faith because I don't play Faust so I have limited knowledge on what his gameplan really is. All characters can combo into sweep by doing a basic gatling route like Punch > Kick > Slash > Hard Slash > Dust.
Okay, I thought Faust's sweep tracked the enemy's position to pop up under them. But I'll keep that in mind. One of the things I like about GG is that button combos seem pretty standardized across characters, letting you focus more on strategy and learning the character than just muscle memory.

My big goal right now is to start incorporating all the stuff that uses your super meter more. I haven't gotten the hang of roman cancels and those special blocks yet. Also there's some sort of counter or interrupt attack that uses a partial bar? I should double-check the tutorial.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They're putting the Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2. Injustice 2 Hype!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle (Super Famicom)
I'm glad people still play this. When I was 8 my two favorite things were Ranma 1/2 and my SNES, and I would have killed for a copy of this. They used to advertise it at the start of VHS copies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

The announcement turned out to be that DOA is officially on an indefinite hiatus and to never ask them for DOA6 again lol.
That's a baller move

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DBXenoverse 2 is insanely fun, so I'm pumped for this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Their not even going to be a little bit similar as far as I know bro. Good luck.
No, this looks like Guilty Gear, but I also like GG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trivia

In the Cuban release, Batman will sometimes refer to a level 20 Atrocitus as "Terminador de las Chochas."

• Locked thread