Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi, everyone!

It's a little early, but there is some info here.

In the meantime, here is the thread for seasons 1 & 2.

This is the little show that could and did. I'll be back with more as the season 3 debut is set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yesssssssssssssss splinter sequence initiated

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's the spirit!

Here's the whole thing I linked in the OP:

quote:

For fans anticipating 12 Monkeys season 3 on Syfy, speculation doesn’t stop during the long hiatus. Filming began in Toronto in October of 2016 and wrapped as March of 2017 began, and after the debut of the new trailer at New York Comic Con, news has been coming in that is sure to have everyone anticipating some surprising time periods, amazing guest roles, and new missions for the intrepid time travelers.

12 Monkeys will return for season 3 in 2017 on Syfy. Showrunner, Terry Matalas, tweeted recently that the series will return in "the summer," and he has mentioned elsewhere on social media that it's "before July," but we'll keep you posted for when an official date is announced.

The filming for 12 Monkeys season 3 wrapped recently as the show finished up some Old World settings in Prague.
https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/836249839906115584/photo/1

quote:

What decades will 12 Monkeys visit in season 3? How about the 80s? Terry Matalas recently tweeted this enticing picture from the set.
https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/825418792050188288/photo/1

quote:

And of course there was this tweet from the set of 12 Monkeys season 3 featuring a picture of a new cast member, Hannah Waddingham (see announcement below).
https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/821045263045447692/photo/1

quote:

The 12 Monkeys season 3 cast keeps getting better and better. The most recent news from Nerdist is that Hannah Waddingham (the "shame nun" from Game of Thrones) and Faran Tahir (from Star Trek, Iron Man, and many other genre favorites) will be joining the cast in recurring roles, both as baddies. Waddingham will be playing Magdalena, "a member of an apocalyptic cult charged with protecting the Witness," and Tahir will portray a resident of Titan who is a "devout enforcer of the Army of the 12 Monkeys."

Then, of course, two months after the news that Christopher Llyod would be appearing in a guest role in season three of the time travel drama (more on that below), Entertainment Weekly broke the news that Battlestar Galactica alum James Callis will be joining the cast in a recurring role.
According to Matalas, Callis will play "a highly anticipated and pivotal new character to our series’ mythology," a "rebellious and enigmatic time-traveler raised throughout history by the Army of the 12 Monkeys, one whose conflicted personal and emotional path will change everything for James Cole (Aaron Stanford) and Dr. Cassandra Railly (Amanda Schull)." Sounds pretty important.

It will be nice to see Callis back on the Syfy channel. He played standout character Gaius Baltar on BSG. Callis will be the second BSG alum to appear on the Syfy drama, following Michael Hogan's appearance last season.

The big bombshell, though, was the news that Christopher Lloyd will be joining the cast in a guest role. The Back to the Future star who played the iconic Doc Brown character will play Zalmon Shaw, whom press materials describe as "a charming but deadly cult leader who preys upon other’s tragedies and losses in order to recruit new members into the Army of the 12 Monkeys." Shaw has a familial attachment that explains his malicious intent: he is the father of the mysterious and dangerous Pallid Man, played by Tom Noonan.

Matalas, himself a big fan of Back to the Future as evidenced by his multiple nods to the film trilogy, as well as by the Delorean that he owns that appeared on the Oscars this year, will also be making his directorial debut with the season 3 premiere. Here is the synopsis for the upcoming season:

In season three, James Cole and Cassandra Railly embark on a desperate search across time to find the man responsible for the apocalypse, a time traveler who calls himself the Witness. Killing the Witness will mean saving the world. But the journey will come at tremendous personal stakes for both Cole and Railly and will call into question new alliances, old bonds, and the virtue of the mission itself.

The season 2 finale promised the show’s first leap into the future, and if the latest trailer coming out of New York Comic Con is any indication, the setting in which the city of Titan finds itself is not only a grim post-apocalyptic vision; it’s a complete wasteland.

12 Monkeys has gone from a movie adaptation of a classic film which explored the immutability of time during a post-apocalyptic, virus-ravaged future to a grand story in its own right that went far beyond the prevention of a plague. As season 1 laid the groundwork for causality loops and interference creating the very circumstances characters sought to avoid, the conspiracy surrounding the plague grounded the mission around a central secretive organization, the Army of the 12 Monkeys.

Take a look at the promo below, which uses a combination of familiar quotes from many of the show’s characters, including Jennifer Goines talking about the city of Titan and Cassie Railly speaking about the Witness. With Cassie trapped in 2163, fans can only imagine what it will take to mount a rescue mission to the type of future depicted here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FLbV3Kjf_E

quote:

But the future isn’t the only new location the time travelers in 12 Monkeys will visit! Matalas told Entertainment Weekly that the distant past is also in the mix. “In Season 3, the stakes have never been more personal for our time travelers,” the showrunner says. “The adventure will take them to their own future as well as further back in time than they’ve ever been before. They’ll face their darkest hour — an all-new threat with deeply emotional consequences for heroes and villains alike.”

I didn't bold anything because the whole thing is loving incredible.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 28, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Looks like the show's getting a full run!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/03/12-monkeys-renewed-for-4th-season.html

IIRC, Terry Matalas said the plan was always for 4 seasons. Apparently Syfy has enough faith in them to play it out. :)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

Looks like the show's getting a full run!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/03/12-monkeys-renewed-for-4th-season.html

IIRC, Terry Matalas said the plan was always for 4 seasons. Apparently Syfy has enough faith in them to play it out. :)

:neckbeard: This is great news.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Fantastic news. I'm currently halfway through rewatching S1 in prep for S3. I love this show so much!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:neckbeard:

(Please don't run the show off the rails.)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I have faith in this show. I dont think we'll see Cole end up as a lumberjack in any timeline.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dr. Faustus posted:

(Please don't run the show off the rails.)

This is not a show I associate with "Rails" :lsd:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dr. Faustus posted:

Please keep running the show off the rails.

FTFY.

It's been a weird wild ride and as it gets weirder it gets better.

"OK, we figured out the storyline for last season after we each took 12 tabs and watched the Langoliers. That was good, but I feel it was a little too restrained. So, we've invited all the Syfy executives for an "all you can handle" liquid buffet.

Instead of a movie, we're going to have strobe lights and a lot of industrial ambient noise. I'm pretty sure it's going to be amazing but if anyone wants to add anything, feel free. Before you say anything, yes Joe, we'll have a tub filled with cockroaches. You don't have to ask, it's in your contract. That's why we have those things."

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
This is one of the best shows no one watches. :(

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I do. I also only personally know 2 other people who watch the show so I am also sad. :( :ohdear: I always wondered if this show was going to face death by lack of TV ratings (I bet including DVR numbers came just in time).

Thank you for the good news all around.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Take this show behind the shed and put it out of its misery holy poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Take this show behind the shed and put it out of its misery holy poo poo

It's goin for two more seasons bucko

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Last I heard it was finishing with a shortened 10 episode season Edit: I guess it has 2 more 10 ep seasons? Jesus

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 22, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I was including season 3 which hasn't aired yet

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The end of season 2 felt like it was running out of steam, both in plot and budget. I cannot think of what they're going to do for another 20 episodes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Didn't seem that way to me at all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's okay

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:negative:

Dude. Please.

Our last thread was generally upbeat and positive. I know I struggled at first with the introduction of the Primaries and time being somehow sentient(-ish.) Still, the show continued to be equal parts mind-fuckery, heavy drama, and laughs. The characters remained awesome. We became invested in our awesome little show and we're very happy with the new support it appears to be getting. This isn't a thread for hate-watching.

So I implore you: would you tone down the disdain and condescension, pretty please? I'm a special snowflake and I like my safe space or whatever.

News Time
Here's something:
http://deadline.com/2017/03/12-monkeys-renewed-final-season-premiere-date-binge-1202044781/

quote:

‘12 Monkeys’ Renewed For Fourth & Final Season On Syfy; S3 Premiere Date Set
The plague is returning in the spring but will be over sometime next year. That’s today’s news from Syfy about its series 12 Monkeys: Season 3 will bow in May, with all 10 episodes will air over three consecutive nights, and it has been renewed for a 10-episode fourth season likely in 2018, which will be its last.

As for the spring bingeing, Season 3 bows on May 19, with the first four episodes back-to-back starting at 8 PM. Then three episodes will air from 8-11 PM the next two nights.

“With its time-twisting themes and edge-of-your-seat storyline, 12 Monkeys is the perfect show to air this way,” said Chris McCumber, President of Entertainment Networks at NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “It’s grown into a world well beyond the original film, and after seeing the creative strength of Season 3, we couldn’t wait to pick it up for a fourth season.”

Based on the 1995 feature film, 12 Monkeys follows the journey of Cole (Aaron Stanford), who is sent back in time from a dark, hellish future to prevent it from ever happening. Joining forces in the present with Dr. Railly (Amanda Schull), Cole must defeat a centuries-old malevolent organization known as the Army of the 12 Monkeys. As Cole, Railly and their unlikely allies get closer to the truth, they’ll learn there are deadly consequences for all of history — and time itself. The cast also includes Kirk Acevedo, Emily Hampshire, Barbara Sukowa and Todd Stashwick. Christopher Lloyd is joining as a guest star on Season 3, and Hannah Waddingham, Faran Tahir and James Callis will recur.

12 Monkeys is produced by Universal Cable Productions in association with Atlas Entertainment. Terry Matalas is showrunner and executive producer. Travis Fickett co-created with Matalas. Charles Roven and Richard Suckle also serve as executive producers.
Has any show ever been aired in this way on cable/satellite? I'm used to hearing about whole seasons dropping at once on Netflix, but I've never heard of ten episodes over three nights. May 19th is a Friday night, so if I'm still on this work schedule I'll be able to finish up Sunday night/Monday (my days off).

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 23, 2017

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
There are few networks and network shows that could probably pull off the Netflix like release, but the addiction factor of this show might warrant the realise pattern. I wish this had been a thing back when I was hooked on Lost and 24. I really have to wonder if fewer people would have given up on :lost: if ABC had tried a release like this.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Dr. Faustus posted:

:negative:

Dude. Please.

Our last thread was generally upbeat and positive. I know I struggled at first with the introduction of the Primaries and time being somehow sentient(-ish.) Still, the show continued to be equal parts mind-fuckery, heavy drama, and laughs. The characters remained awesome. We became invested in our awesome little show and we're very happy with the new support it appears to be getting. This isn't a thread for hate-watching.

So I implore you: would you tone down the disdain and condescension, pretty please? I'm a special snowflake and I like my safe space or whatever.

News Time
Here's something:
http://deadline.com/2017/03/12-monkeys-renewed-final-season-premiere-date-binge-1202044781/

Has any show ever been aired in this way on cable/satellite? I'm used to hearing about whole seasons dropping at once on Netflix, but I've never heard of ten episodes over three nights. May 19th is a Friday night, so if I'm still on this work schedule I'll be able to finish up Sunday night/Monday (my days off).

Off the top of my head, Angie Tribeca aired its entire first season in one night, and this was on TBS.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It sucks for discussion in here though.

Also there was a really cool 12 Monkeys weekly podcast that had writers and actors from the show, and whelp there goes that! :v:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I agree. I realized I'll have to binge-watch them all before I can even open the thread to comment.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

How the gently caress has no one mentioned Deacon in his very best Miami Vice gear? I don't even have to know what that episode is gonna be about to know it's gonna be fuckin' legend.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

This is the best thing ever.

No one I know in real life watches this show or has even heard of it besides from me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Feels like a long time to go, but it's not. Not really.

So here are a couple things to enjoy if you haven't already:

Here's the full Season 3 trailer (sorry about the commercial intro).

12 Monkeys showrunner talks 'going inward' in Season 3, adding Christopher Lloyd.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That trailer totally spoils who's playing the Witness, if you want to avoid knowing that. I don't think it's a big deal, myself, but just in case. It's James Callis, if you can't tell from the voice and the hair.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just finished watching the new season (got press copies). Not going spoil anything but it's gooooooooood poo poo.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just finished watching the new season (got press copies). Not going spoil anything but it's gooooooooood poo poo.

Not cool man, not cool.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Not cool man, not cool.

Before I got assigned this I had literally never seen an episode of the series so I jumped in feet first to the third season. Despite not really having any idea what was going on in the first episode (I had to keep pausing it to check the series Wikia) I increasingly enjoyed it the more episodes I watched. Going to go back and watch the first two seasons at some point.

Dug the music choices, the kickass period costuming and James Callis effortlessly outacting everyone else on screen and stealing the entire series.

Didn't like the constant pop culture references so much, but heyo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just four more days. Then I have to stay away and binge-watch before I can comment.

Thanks Mr. Flunchy for not spoiling anything (much) and giving us hope for Season 3.

I want to ask about how things end but that would be borrowing trouble, so let's keep things spoiler-free.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Before I got assigned this I had literally never seen an episode of the series so I jumped in feet first to the third season. Despite not really having any idea what was going on in the first episode (I had to keep pausing it to check the series Wikia) I increasingly enjoyed it the more episodes I watched. Going to go back and watch the first two seasons at some point.

Dug the music choices, the kickass period costuming and James Callis effortlessly outacting everyone else on screen and stealing the entire series.

Didn't like the constant pop culture references so much, but heyo.

I completely forgot that James Callis was in it this season! :dance:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Two more days, motherfuckers! And it just so happens that I have 2 episodes left of my S2 rewatch! This is such a goddamn good show, and reading that James Callis steals it this season is pretty impressive considering the chemistry among all the leads and the presence of Christopher Lloyd.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This week's Entertainment Weekly says that they're going to be traveling through time with a smaller, more portable piece of tech based on the Splinter machine.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Too bad it's a massive ep dump because it'll be a "see you on the other side" moment for this thread. :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Flunchy posted:

James Callis effortlessly outacting everyone else on screen and stealing the entire series.

BEST NEWS!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

Too bad it's a massive ep dump because it'll be a "see you on the other side" moment for this thread. :(
That's totally true. I'll be at work on Friday night and still have to work on Saturday night, so I'll have to avoid my own thread until I binge the whole thing. Like, I have other things I need to do, too. O well, it is what it is.

See you on the other side.

I guess everyone should figure out what should be in spoiler tags and for how long before Friday. Let's hear your thoughts.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think we should do an episode by episode, week by week thread. At least spread it out somewhat because otherwise it's "watch 12 hours or whatever over a week and don't post til you're done, come in and post your review and speculation for Season 4 and read everyone else doing the same thing."

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
nah nah nah, streaming rules. Episode spoilers.

Until however long.

• Locked thread