Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
my phone is getting faster because I'm swiping away all my apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
yep, do this every morning along with a fresh reboot on ios

also do you know that if you leave 'setting timezone automatically' enabled in the privacy/location setting and have your nightshift enabled from sunset to sunrise, it will drain an non insignificant amount of power because it's polling your gps quite frequently?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

coke posted:

also do you know that if you leave 'setting timezone automatically' enabled in the privacy/location setting and have your nightshift enabled from sunset to sunrise, it will drain an non insignificant amount of power because it's polling your gps quite frequently?

do u also orient the phone towards cupertino to align its chakras, op?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

carry on then posted:

do u also orient the phone towards cupertino to align its chakras, op?

lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i use to think force closing apps was unnecessary, then one day I tried to deposit a check using my phone and the bank app kept crashing like 5 times in row, i force closed all the apps and then it worked

this was coincidentally the day apple turned to poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

coke posted:

lmao no that's not how that works

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Perplx posted:

i use to think force closing apps was unnecessary, then one day I tried to deposit a check using my phone and the bank app kept crashing like 5 times in row, i force closed all the apps and then it worked

yeah that's precisely why i do it

a lot of random bugs would crop up overtime after long uptime and it's literally why it's also a recommend solution for people who runs into strange to try a restart eg. app crashing, bluetooth not connecting etc.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

The Management posted:

lmao no that's not how that works
look at how dumb you are

it's literally in their support doc
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201205

quote:

Use these steps first

Need to share files between your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac? Learn how. To get help connecting Bluetooth accessories to your iOS device, follow these steps:
Make sure that your Bluetooth accessory and iOS device are close to each other.
Check that your Bluetooth accessory is on and fully charged or connected to power. If it uses batteries, test them to see if they need to be replaced.
Restart your Bluetooth accessory.
Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
On your iOS device, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is on. If you can’t turn on Bluetooth or you see a spinning gear, restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Unpair the Bluetooth accessory, put it back in discovery mode, then pair and connect it again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

coke posted:

look at how dumb you are

it's literally in their support doc
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201205

i dont see anything about gps or timezone in that doc

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
swipe harder op

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lol if u swipe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol if u swipe

teach me your secrets

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

abraham linkedin posted:

teach me your secrets

anroid unfortunately, my son

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

anroid unfortunately, my son

aughhhhh!!!!!

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

i dont see anything about gps or timezone in that doc

have night shift on and set it to sunrise to sunset, then go into privacy/location service/system service/setting time zone to turn off setting time zone automatically

then go back into night shift's setting and see again

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

coke posted:

have night shift on and set it to sunrise to sunset, then go into privacy/location service/system service/setting time zone to turn off setting time zone automatically

no thanks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

coke posted:

lol you think this uses gps.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i never have to do this, because i have a relatively powerful iphone 6s+ phone

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Wish I could swipe away your posts op

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Millstone posted:

:golfclap:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Perplx posted:

iphones barely have enough ram to run one process so any ram taken up by background process management destroys the device.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
shaggar was wrong

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Perplx posted:

i thought ios was supposed to automatically suspend apps that go into the background

maybe that was true for older ios versions??

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
just turn background app refresh off for everything

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my iPhone 5s is a lean, well tuned machine

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
swipe right

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Millstone posted:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

coke posted:

If you go into Settings->Battery it will show you what's using up your battery. If you tap the little clock button, it will show you how much time each app is actually running while in the background (instead of being suspended).

Turn off background updates for any app that has an unusual amount of background run time.

Quit doing all that other poo poo. My phone runs for weeks and weeks between reboots without problems.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Doc Block posted:

If you go into Settings->Battery it will show you what's using up your battery. If you tap the little clock button, it will show you how much time each app is actually running while in the background (instead of being suspended).

Turn off background updates for any app that has an unusual amount of background run time.

Quit doing all that other poo poo. My phone runs for weeks and weeks between reboots without problems.

if you turn on low power mode, it turns off background refresh for all apps

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
your phone gets its time from the network and probably never the gps. I know this because I am a witness to nodes on a cell network getting set with the wrong TACs so peoples phones ended up in another time zone and they got owned by their alarm clocks at 2am and complained about it on twitter.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

your phone gets its time from the network and probably never the gps. I know this because I am a witness to nodes on a cell network getting set with the wrong TACs so peoples phones ended up in another time zone and they got owned by their alarm clocks at 2am and complained about it on twitter.

phones get both time and rough location from the cell network. they don't use gps unless they have to have more accurate location data.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

same

on my wifes phone I just turned off background refresh full stop. she doesnt care if poo poo takes a few seconds longer to load or update but she certainly does ccare if her battery lasts a shitload longer

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol bunch of nerds janitoring their perfect steve device like its an android shitpile maybe do a rain dance in front of it while you are at it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

yeah we know how it works in android, but how do you do this kind of thing in ios?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol bunch of nerds janitoring their perfect steve device like its an android shitpile maybe do a rain dance in front of it while you are at it

will that increase my signal strength??

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the only time my stebephone reboots is when it does a software update

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i thought this thread was about androids

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

same

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody posted:

hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same except also when i drain the snake (my battery) and can't resist using till it's death

• Locked thread