Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I recently quit my job to do some bucket list adventuring as part of a life goal thing. I will need a job when I get back. My brother - who I think of as a really smart 'climbing the corporate ladder' success story, recently gave me some poo poo for setting my sights too low. Since he's in a different industry and a higher COL area, I can't tell if he's ignorantly blowing smoke up my rear end or what.

I would really appreciate it if some of you IT pros could look at my goals and resume and tell me how close to reality I am. The mechanics of the resume itself are better suited to the resume megathread, I'm significantly more interested in the content and what you all think that makes me qualified to do.

My Powershell chops are pretty lame, and thats the number one skill I will be working on. I also acknowledge that an MCSA will help but I really dont want to foot the bill myself and also MS cert tests are supposedly terrible. If I have to then I will.

Short term goal: (Senior) Windows Sysadmin, target salary $75K-$85K (My brother says I should be billing myself as an architect and shooting for $125K, both of which sound ridiculously way beyond normal levels of imposter syndrome)
Long term goal: IT Management, I think. Architect? Not really sure what the end game is for IT coming from a Windows generalist role. Overseeing vast armies of Docker/Puppet instances? How the gently caress do I figure this out

code:
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS______________________________________________________                     

Bachelor of Science, REDACTED	REDACTED
Associate of Science,REDACTED	REDACTED

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (lapsed), Datto DCAT (lapsed), Sophos Cloud Engineer

SELECTED WORK EXPERIENCE                                _____________                                                                 __

System Administrator											REDACTED
REDACTED													REDACTED	
•	Created company-wide standards for infrastructure design and configuration, led effort to implement those standards across entire client base to increase profitability and decrease reactive ticket load.
•	Performed security and infrastructure audits.
•	Responsible for reactive and proactive maintenance on approximately 20 domains and 50 servers.
•	Cradle-to-grave implementation of server installs and migrations, including architecture design, implementation, project management, and cutover.
•	Planned, tested, and evaluated new technologies for company-wide or client-specific rollout.
•	Tier 3 escalations for all aspects of I.T. infrastructure.

Project Manager 											REDACTED 
REDACTED												REDACTED
•	Managed projects from creation to completion, always juggling multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
•	Increased profitability more than 15% by modifying project scoping process and implementing accurate labor estimates using historical data.
•	Created and maintained library of standard project templates to streamline sales and implementation.

Service Desk Coordinator 									REDACTED 
REDACTED													REDACTED
•	 SME for Datto backup appliances and Dell SonicWALL and Sophos UTM firewalls.
•	Procured hardware as required by clients, increased non-recurring revenue by as much as 75% per month.
•	Performed dispatch duties for 3-4 team members 
•	First point of contact for all help desk calls, successfully met SLA goal of >75% first call resolution
•	Created efficient and automated implementation plans for client requests and handed off to senior administrator for implementation.

I.T. Consultant											REDACTED
REDACTED												REDACTED
•	Administered and repaired Windows-based home computers and SOHO networks.
•	Built and supported white box and OEM computers according to customer needs.
•	Maintained network infrastructure using consumer-grade networking equipment.
•	Implemented automated backup solutions using various software packages.

SKILLS ________________________ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____________________________________                         

•	Expert: MS Windows 2000 - 10, MS Office 2000 – 2013, Desktop support, Documentation
•	Intermediate: Windows Server 2008 – 2012 R2, Exchange Server 2007-2010, Office 365,  TCP/IP, Group Policy, Active Directory, PowerShell, Hyper-V, Project management methodology, SonicWALL, Sophos UTM
•	Novice: MS SQL Server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
• Created company-wide standards for infrastructure design and configuration, led effort to implement those standards across entire client base to increase profitability and decrease reactive ticket load.
-On what? How?
• Performed security and infrastructure audits.
-On what? How?
• Responsible for reactive and proactive maintenance on approximately 20 domains and 50 servers.
-How?
• Cradle-to-grave implementation of server installs and migrations, including architecture design, implementation, project management, and cutover.
-For what?
• Planned, tested, and evaluated new technologies for company-wide or client-specific rollout.
-What technologies?
• Tier 3 escalations for all aspects of I.T. infrastructure.
-Like what?

Hope this helps. Also there's a great resume thread in business, finance, and careers forum. We're all nerds so you'll get good tech advice

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, there's not nearly enough detail there to be able to give advice. My preference when looking at resumes as IT management is to see more about projects rather than "was at this company, had this responsibility." I want to know about the most interesting or complex things you've tackled. Preferably in bullet format.

• Locked thread