Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I know a lot of you here like to "eat fresh" so I wanted to share this news. It is very distressing, to say the least. Probably worse than the whole Jared thing tbh.

Subway's oven roasted chicken only 50 percent chicken, DNA test shows

http://www.kmbc.com/article/subways-oven-roasted-chicken-only-50-percent-chicken-dna-test-shows/8989669

quote:

BOSTON —
Subway is fighting back against a claim that the chicken it serves up isn't all real chicken.

A Canadian Broadcasting Corporation investigation backed by Trent University researchers says a DNA test showed the oven roasted chicken is just over half chicken. The rest was made up of soy.

The same test found other fast food chains had about 85 to 90 percent chicken as opposed to Subway's 50 percent. With such a different result, the researchers tested five more oven roasted chicken pieces and five orders of chicken strips: the roasted averaged 53.6 percent chicken DNA and the strips 42.8.

Subway said it can't confirm any of the testing methods used, but admits it uses about 1 percent of soy protein for texture and moisture.

"We will look into this again with our supplier to ensure that the chicken is meeting the high standard we set for all of our menu items and ingredients," the chain said in a statement.

So yeah, all those delicious chicken subs you had would be more accurately described as soy subs.

EAT FRESH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
So is there an FDA regulation on what percentage of chicken actually needs to be chicken to be called chicken?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Not a surprise. Canadians are also the geniuses that thought pineapple on pizza was a good idea.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I don't care what's in the food I eat if it tastes good and doesn't immediately kill me. Not only does this not shock me I don't really care OP

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
KFC NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN

EAT FRESH

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Dog the Builder posted:

I don't care what's in the food I eat if it tastes good and doesn't immediately kill me. Not only does this not shock me I don't really care OP

Well I hope you enjoy your man boobs, buddy!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You used to get 2 chicken breasts on a footlong. I'm tellin ya, poo poo went downhill when they stopped triangle cutting their bun tops. :shrug:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol why does anyone give a gently caress its fast food

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Stuntman posted:

lol why does anyone give a gently caress its fast food

I guess the real answer is probably that if we let companies mislabel soy as chicken, then it's a slippery slope and eventually they'll be mislabelling rat poison as tylenol. :shrug:

This was mostly a public service because lots of GBS folks love to eat fresh, sometimes multiple times a week!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it hasnt been a good couple years for subway public relations

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
This completely changes my interpretation of what it means to Eat Fresh

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Nolan Arenado posted:

I guess the real answer is probably that if we let companies mislabel soy as chicken, then it's a slippery slope and eventually they'll be mislabelling rat poison as tylenol. :shrug:

This was mostly a public service because lots of GBS folks love to eat fresh, sometimes multiple times a week!

I eat fresh but never get chicken

Like everyone knows that salami is bullshit but people think chicken is chicken ya know?

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Nolan Arenado posted:

soy is healthier so this man wont have any sweet boobs to touch at night

however if you follow up that soy sub with several beers welcome to my erotic world

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

howd they get a chicken to gently caress a soy plant

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
only mongoloids eat chicken and not red meat, smoked meat or deli meats

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
When can I let go of my butt though?

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nolan Arenado posted:

So yeah, all those delicious chicken subs you had would be more accurately described as soy subs.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Nolan Arenado posted:

Well the moobs and spare tire predates my ever eating fresh. :shrug:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'll just buy two now noobs :smuggo:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
theres a guy i see walking in front of my apt complex wearing mlp memorabelia and always carrying a subway sandwich

dude is dumb enough to have fallen for the jared fogle weight loss program

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
also hes probably a pedophile too

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I get the meatballs everytime so I'm not worried

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Cool instead of soy they'll just grind up necks and beaks and form that into patties now

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Subway sucks anyway so who cares

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Eat Flesh!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

fishing with the fam posted:

So is there an FDA regulation on what percentage of chicken actually needs to be chicken to be called chicken?

Have you never heard of the "chykyn wyngz" that come with a DiGiorno's pizza?

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

nigga crab pollock posted:

also hes probably a pedophile too

subs are the new cheese pizza, if you know what i mean............................................

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm so fat I take three airplane seats but only pay for one :smuggo: this is good news for me.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
lmao if you order anything but the italian bmt at subway

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

When the Taco Bell report came out that their meat was 15% filler, the company pushed back hard saying "how loving dare you accuse us of subpar beef, we take pride in our beef" and people we're generally surprised that there was actually LESS filler than they thought.

I don't know what my point is EAT FRESH

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

so it's half-vegan?

soycken.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

935 posted:

and people we're generally surprised that there was actually LESS filler than they thought.

:eyepop:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The signs at Subway say all their meats are turkey-based, so I've always assumed that extends to their weirdly shaped chicken breast puck things. I'm genuinely surprised they serve even 50% chicken.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

b-minus1 posted:

lmao if you order anything but the italian bmt at subway

:yeah:

I am a goddamn heathen and put pineapple and barbecue sauce on mine though, on toasted flatbread, suck my balls I do what I want

stump collector
May 28, 2007
jared probably put 5 or 10 ephedrine tablets on each sandwich

eat fresh

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Captain Yossarian posted:

KFC NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

howd they get a chicken to gently caress a soy plant

PM me.

:hellyeah:

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
If it were something terrible, I'd be more inclined toward outrage. But I consume soy products all the time, so whatever.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ill have the chicken DNA sandwich please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
also soy causes man tits FYI :eng101:

• Locked thread