Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:laffo: that's amazing, i hope you told him to pound sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Not in as many words, but that was th jist of it. I asked him if he'd go along with it if he were in my shoes and his response was "we're not asking you to sign away your ability to find work." Based on that I'm not even sure if he knows what "noncompete" means.

Absolutely no interest in returning to work there either, unless they'd be willing to add a zero to the end of my previous salary.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Not in as many words, but that was th jist of it. I asked him if he'd go along with it if he were in my shoes and his response was "we're not asking you to sign away your ability to find work." Based on that I'm not even sure if he knows what "noncompete" means.

Absolutely no interest in returning to work there either, unless they'd be willing to add a zero to the end of my previous salary.
Well done, sir :golfclap:

Had a similar phone call from a spiteful ex-employer who had insisted I had signed a non-compete after he found out that I got a job at a new tech firm. Told him that no, I didn't, and he just kept getting mad, so I hung up.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

We just had a visit from Princess Anne, apparently the itinerary for her visit was locked down months ago. Today security turned up, demanded we open the trays to the photocopiers because of bombs and then kicked up a fuss because we're nothing to do with printing nor do we have keys for the loving paper trays. So she rolled up and was supposed to be doing A at X time, B at another time, C following etc but she didn't do any of it and just wandered around the place ignoring the stupid poo poo set up for her. I kinda like the royal family a little more now. :v:

She came to our place a few weeks back. Seemed lovely :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

That might be the funniest thing I've read all week. Hahaha.. what kind of moron would go back to someplace the had fired them (or laid off, semantics) to sign anything unless it was going to benefit them in some tangible way, let alone something that is detrimental to them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Geoj posted:

Is your poo poo-eating grin hurting your cheek muscles yet?

'If maniacal glee lasts more than 4 hours, consult a physician'

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

Yeah it sounds to me like he has no clue what it actually means, and is more likely trying to cover his rear end for it not being done in the first place.

How did you even get any words out, I would have been too busy laughing :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

Yeah, gently caress that. You owe them nothing, and it's their mistake.
I mean, how could you seriously be surprised at a negative response to a question like that? It's literally a case of "you're not the boss of me."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

VICTORY!

Found another 06. Pedal wasn't like new, but it's a lot better.

Seminal Flu posted:

Is there a shadetree mechanic fix, or stop-gap, method to keep you functional until you find the part? What is the actual failure mode of the part?

Plastic assembly. Pushrod eats through the pedal. Now that I have a replacement, I can reinforce that spot a bit before I install it.

Phone posting, but once I get home I can snap a few pics to better describe the lovely design.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How did you even get any words out, I would have been too busy laughing :v:

Oh, God, so much this. And it would have been so very cathartic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

VICTORY!

Found another 06. Pedal wasn't like new, but it's a lot better.

Plastic assembly. Pushrod eats through the pedal. Now that I have a replacement, I can reinforce that spot a bit before I install it.

Phone posting, but once I get home I can snap a few pics to better describe the lovely design.

Ooh-rah! You may even be able to fix the old on by drilling across and inserting a steel pin or something, depending on the exact design. I'd offer tools and poo poo, but I'm in the mid cities, as you know.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

i would have been much less pleasant

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

"listen here you bitchmade cocksucking motherfucker dot dot dot"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

off i go on another power fantasy :sigh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would have shot him through the phone ala Kung Fury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzDgaGTARqE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally got home. Holy poo poo trying to limp my car 20 miles home without a functional clutch during rush hour (which in DFW is basically 3:30pm-7pm) wasn't any fun at all.

Darchangel posted:

Ooh-rah! You may even be able to fix the old on by drilling across and inserting a steel pin or something, depending on the exact design. I'd offer tools and poo poo, but I'm in the mid cities, as you know.

I don't think that'd work, more because the plastic seems kinda brittle. But I finally got some pictures of the failure point.

The first manual Ion I ran across was full of broken glass, and laying in that while trying to remove the pedal was fun. The pedal FELT fine at first, then I heard a crack as I moved the pushrod, and suddenly a few pieces of plastic fell and the pushrod wasn't moving until the pedal is almost to the floor.... exactly the way my existing one is. Walked around the yard for about half an hour before I found another manual Ion. This one had a little bit of play in the pedal, but nowhere near as bad as what my car has. I think some expoy would be a good fix, but only with the pedal removed from the car until it's fully cured; otherwise if you have to replace the master cylinder (or clutch) in the future, you're hosed.

So the point where the pushrod contacts the arm is just behind this white plastic cap. If you remove this cap and a bunch of broken plastic falls out, congrats, you're replacing the pedal! All you did was let the broken bits escape, but it was already far along into failure at that point anyway.

Here's the contact point where the pushrod hits the pedal:

You can see that this one shows slight wear, and looking closer, I can see a crack already.

A used one is still a shitload easier to stomach than...

Pretty sure I can just drill out the part that's cracked, through the white plastic cover, and probably put in a screw so long as it doesn't have a sharp tip. For now, I'm going to try just taping a small piece of plastic over the part that's trying to fall out from the back of the pedal and throw the cover on to retain everything.

I did find a bushing insert for GM clutch pedals, but it doesn't look like it'll fit this pedal. The bushing, in this case, is cast as part of the pedal.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 31, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would probably just JB weld a furniture slider in there and call it a day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

LOLWUT

Thats just so stupid to even think you would sign

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've got a hole blown in my exhaust right at one of the catalytic converters because I guess the sc300 has two? Anyway because of this it sounds bad at idle but under load goddamn does the 2JZ-GE sound amazing. I'll stay in second or third gear just to hear it work under high revs then embarrasingly try to hide the fact that it's just an exhaust hole when I have to stop :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah it sounds to me like he has no clue what it actually means, and is more likely trying to cover his rear end for it not being done in the first place.

He started there last summer (should have read the writing on the wall at the time - I've never had a good job with multiple direct supervisors), I think it was his first supervisory position. According to a former coworker he was super butthurt because I didn't shake his hand on the day they laid me off and spent the day after bitching at length to anyone who would listen.

I don't think there was any error on their part, before I started I asked if they'd be willing to waive a 90 day waiting period for health insurance and they said no.

Just a poorly run, lovely business.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would probably just JB weld a furniture slider in there and call it a day.

I don't think you'd even need a furniture slider, just a few dabs of JB Weld (or maybe even superglue) if it hasn't completely fallen apart yet. This one has not fallen apart, all the pieces are still there.

Unfortunately, the one in my car has completely fallen apart, to the point that I'm pretty sure the only thing pushing the pushrod is that little white plastic cap.

I have an old credit card (no longer valid), gonna reinforce it with a couple of small pieces of that and throw it in.

e: looks like that might work, just have to adjust the pedal height up a little.
e2: gonna go throw it in before it gets too dark.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 31, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Aced this goddamn ITIL cert exam. gently caress yes. I need to compensate for all this IT manager doublespeak bouncing around my cranium...should I get a tattoo sleeve or a turbo corvette or something?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm taking a break for a bit. Steering column broke free of its home before the pedal did and decided to say hello to my head. Thinking I should have unbolted the column after I had freed the pedal, instead of before... :sigh: I'll come up with something witty about hindsight once the headache and tweety birds circling my head go away..

This is the existing pedal. Toward the end (kinda blurry), you can see the pushrod to the master cylinder poking through the pedal arm to say hello. :stonk: The plastic ball on the end of the pushrod is loving trashed too, ugh. I'll doctor it a bit with some electrical tape before the replacement pedal goes in. I have the hardest part pretty much done, just need to get the pedal free now (it's completely unbolted), then wedge the new one in.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 31, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LOL at that pedal design, in plastic. Sorry about your head!

In funny HOA stuff, got my monthly management report, and the call-center reports are always funny, not much this month, but a couple good examples of how stupid people are and why nobody who is a reasonable human being wants to be on HOA boards.

A couple copy/pastes from the report with names obviously removed (these are the notes made by the person taking the call, I'm sure the actual calls are even more interesting:

1) Notes: Wanted to confirm xxxxxxx's email to make sure complaint on neighbors was received -confirmed email and
provided property manager email.

2) Notes: xxxxx, Owner. Calling regarding street repair tar causing black marks on driveway. Request call back xxx-xxx-
xxxx.
Close Note: Called owner in regards to contacting the city for this. He explained the problem was
that neighbors said he said that he drove on the street and its tire tracks in the street and he has it in the driveway.

-------------

I'm not even sure WTF that guy in the last one is trying to say, but seriously? You are calling the HOA to bitch about black marks in your driveway from street repairs (they are city owned and maintained streets)?

It's both hilarious and sad how many people think that the HOA board should be solving their neighbor disputes. Go talk to your neighbor yourself you dumbass.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
If you want a super good reason for why not to have an HOA try out the NextDoor app.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

If you want a super good reason for why not to have an HOA try out the NextDoor app.

I'm not sure what that thing has to do with having an HOA, but I'm pretty sure that much like the people that show up for HOA meetings because they are either busybodies or mad about something, the people who would sign up for and use this app are probably the same sort of people, who I want nothing to do with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus loving christ. Never doing this poo poo again. gently caress you GM.

Just NOW got the original pedal out.. and I finally got it out by yanking the steering column entirely. There's also no saving the original pedal, it has a hole where the pushrod punched through.

Plenty of room now, but I'll have to disconnect the battery before I even think about hooking everything back up. I don't want to catch an airbag to the chest, that'll probably hurt more than dropping the column on my face earlier. I'd left the battery hooked up for now since I didn't think I would be going this far into the drat thing (and also wanted working interior lights), but if I'd just yanked the steering column to begin with, I would have been done an hour ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 31, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watching MightyCarMods and I want a Kei car again!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

Watching MightyCarMods and I want a Kei car again!

Get. One.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SATURN IS A loving GO-GO

(loving finally)
(mostly anyway... I'll finish putting the interior back together tomorrow, I'm loving DONE with this godawful piece of poo poo for tonight)

I never, ever want to do that job again. It doesn't help that the internet is full of "oh you don't have to remove the steering column, just unbolt it and let it hang and work the pedal out around it. NO, loving REMOVE THE COLUMN, I WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE HOURS AGO HAD I DONE THAT TO BEGIN WITH.

Now I just have to re-learn how to use a loving clutch. The slip point has been "through the firewall" for so long that I'm having a lot of trouble driving it - and i'm going to guess that the clutch is pretty close to well done based on where the slip point is now. Seems like I got the steering wheel pretty well centered too, it seemed dead on when I took it down the road and back.

Never... again... if I have to do this job again, it will involve a bonfire.

e: remember the pic I posted earlier showing the ball socket on the replacement pedal?

This is the original:

I don't think there's supposed to be a hole there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 31, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You dummy, you drove it around town. That doesn't match the beancounter's curve fit of 90% of American drivers, who commute 50 miles to work and barely shift. Clearly your own fault for over-fatiguing the part!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Most of my driving, at least for the past year and a half, is highway. :colbert:

Admittedly, I never realized I had an issue until a coworker sat in my car and touched the clutch, and literally said "what the gently caress is wrong with your clutch?". So I sat in his car (a 2007 Jetta with >200k on the original clutch) and YUP, something was definitely very hosed up on my car. That was a few months ago, and once he pointed out it, it was painfully obvious something was wrong. I just kept putting it off until the car couldn't really be driven anymore.

It took about an hour and a half to get home from the junkyard (20 miles) - drove home during rush hour, during the worst of it I had to pull into a parking lot and wait for traffic to die down. I was able to stop just fine, I could idle fine, but the only way to get the car to move from a stop was to shut off the engine, jam it into 1st, and abuse the hell out of the starter.

(in our next installment, I'll probably be replacing the starter... at least the starter on this car is beginner mode for a FWD starter)

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Im breaking my hiatus to say: god drat it rdb. I am so extremely sorry for your loss. I hope you have good people around you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cakesmith handyman posted:

I just washed my car for the first time in months and discovered Fiat thoughtfully constructed a convenient pocket above the front chassis member to collect dirt and gravel for later use. There was literally about a pound of crap on either side like they wanted it to rust. Wankers. During this the hose connectors burst off about a dozen times and I find the hose itself is leaking from a million places.

Then I tried to clean the block paving which was now black. I think I'll give in and buy a cheap karscher and a new hose tomorrow. :homebrew:

I'm seriously considering selling my car, because it costs $800/year in emissions tax and $1,250/year for insurance, plus 10L/100km is no fun when gas is 11DKK/litre ($6/gallon). With 20,000km/year, that's ~$2,850/year in gas alone. Of course the comfort and torque is nice, but it certainly does come at a cost.

I was considering getting a Panda again, but your post is sort of putting me off that idea. I noticed that mine would pick up a little bit of road dirt in front of the rear wheels, but I didn't know about the front chassis member thing.

Currently, I'm thinking about a Peugeot 206 SW with the 1.4 (or 1.6, I guess).

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 31, 2017

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

I have the app plus a Neighborhood watch Facebook group. I never run out of entertainment between the too (and also want to move the hell away).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fjelltorsk posted:

Im breaking my hiatus to say: god drat it rdb. I am so extremely sorry for your loss. I hope you have good people around you.

How are you doing?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

I've got a hole blown in my exhaust right at one of the catalytic converters because I guess the sc300 has two? Anyway because of this it sounds bad at idle but under load goddamn does the 2JZ-GE sound amazing. I'll stay in second or third gear just to hear it work under high revs then embarrasingly try to hide the fact that it's just an exhaust hole when I have to stop :v:

Haha when I picked up my 7M supra it had a very hosed exhaust but sounded great. To go buy a new one I had to drop the entire thing from the manifold back and then saw it off because the bolts were chemically welded in. When I took it to the exhaust place it was running the manifold and downpipe but that was it, it ended right underneath where the driver's seat is and was the loudest thing in the world, vibrating the cabin constantly. Apparently from outside it sounded cool as poo poo (but like a car with 1/3 an exhaust system).

Straight 6s sound so good.

Go on then, how much fun are you having here?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I have been very slack taking photos at ebisu so far, and have only played on the skid pans whilst we sorted the car/s. Photos don't do some of the tracks justice, touge course is proper scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SquirrelGrip posted:

I have been very slack taking photos at ebisu so far, and have only played on the skid pans whilst we sorted the car/s. Photos don't do some of the tracks justice, touge course is proper scary

I watched this fairly recently, agree photos ain't poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elNHyORnzjw

Altitude gain on that course is pretty massive considering it's length too

• Locked thread