Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elite
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

More articulate people than me have called it "indescribable", and it's true. It fits into no genre neatly, aside from possibly the overly nebulous "mumblecore" style. It's so much more than that, though - heavily serialized, almost every episode is showing you flashbacks from different POVs, or flash-forwards, that slowly reveal this is far from a simple story. As things go on, things get more hosed, and by mid-season I genuinely had no clue how any of it would wrap up.

I guess I'd describe it as : Character-driven drama comedy where serious characters try to claw themselves free from a farcical problem.

Maybe character driven is debateable there, but it is a point that I'd argue for.

The characters feel consistent and reasonable (with one or two silly personality quirks) and they're always trying to advance their own goals, but for comparison the main plot doesn't necessarily change much from episode to episode.

I also think the characters do a good job of setting up comedy:

Leslie getting super psyched about breakfast is made funnier by him being so serious and such a hardass everywhere else in the show.
John's desperate need to keep his job for the greater good make his various sabotages of Stephen (ranging from petty to horrific) become funny, but they'd horrible if done for a selfish motive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread