Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I really liked the movie and know dick all about "film." Just stating what appears to be obvious.

Also, does California have affordable (on par with south Nashville) parts to live in?

You think its obvious that a graphically violent scene in which a slave pokes another's eyes out then kills him with a hammer was made for the purposes of masturbation?

I know this is from a few pages back, but...loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The ones with the best livelihoods are the ones who aren't giving canned responses tho

Conor and Ronda is the best example

Conor does give canned responses, though. He just cans them himself.

Bubba Smith posted:

Those are mostly Jon Jones being a fuckup, which he is, but I don't really see much that makes him mean.

Crashing into a someone, then fleeing, returning only to get cash and then continuing to show no remorse or concern is a pretty good example of being mean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Arlovski's resurgence was a little bit overstated, though the Browne beating was really entertaining. The people I know who really talked him up were, weirdly, Fedor fans who needed to prove that Arlovski is good in order to prove that Fedor's win was really important and relevant.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I don't know how they did it, but they managed to make Anthony Johnson, one of the most imposing dudes in the sport, look really unimposing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Cody owns because he's simultaneously that bright young prospect/gifted athlete who made that leap to champion, who delivered on all that potential he showed, and a loving moron who probably needs someone else to supervise him using the toaster.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kensei posted:

I honestly hope Khabib loses the title shot until he shows up to a fight.

It is awful that he agreed to fight, then was forced not to. If only he took the McGregor high ground of just refusing to ever book fights.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Khabib ducked Tony hth

And Conor ducked the sport.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He's going to end up a Shogun esque case of 'what could have been?' where, despite having actually had a pretty impressive career, he's also just a collection of unanswered questions.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
What a stupid loving waste of time this all is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

UFC Fight Night London is looking like a good evenings viewing. Gunnar Nelson is fighting Alan Jouban, I think Gunnis got it, his striking has come a long way, leaning towards Jouban getting subbed in R2. I think Jouban is fine, but I don't think he's a top ten fighter. His looks on the other hand, dreamy motherfucker.

Jouban looks like Billy Drago. Billy Drago was an actor. An Actor is someone who is in movies. I like movies.
Snowman_McK, Age 7

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

* the people he was fighting when champ were deeply flawed compared to the contenders today
* the people he's getting embarrassed by today are studs

When he was champ, Michael Bisping was the guy getting flattened by all those deeply flawed contenders, and time has not made a half blind 38 year old man with no boxing defence a stud. As evidence, he still managed to get cracked by the same guy who once flattened many moons ago, twice. Turns out that guy hits a bit less hard at 47 than he did at 38.

Daniel Cormier is a better fighter than anyone he faced, but he's also not a Middleweight.

Weidman is the one guy who fits your pattern, but you used the plural.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

you're definitely correct that the level of competition is much higher now

It probably is. Romero and Jacare represent a much higher level of competition than, say, Nate Marquardt. But Andy hasn't fought either of those guys and is unlikely to.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
When you think about it, being good at fighting isn't even an advantage, because then you'll get more fights against better people.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Rumble fought Vitor Belfort and lost because he got tired and gave up mentally when his first idea didn't succeed right away

It's sad that there's going to be a whole generation of fans who just grow up with 'Anthony Johnson - successful/terrifying light heavyweight' and know nothing of the tale of 'Anthony Johnson - The giantest welterweight (who somehow lost to Rich Clementi)'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Didn't work for that Z league MMA fighter with no legs.

Counterpoint: Sean Sherk has no arms and was lightweight champion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Countercounterpoint: Sean Sherk was so spundly beaten at range kickboxing by the smallest lightweight of all time Frankie Edgar he ran from a piss test while screaming and shirtless.

Countercountercounterpoint: he actually managed to outbox Nick Diaz. But Nick Diaz out wrestled him. Man, that was a loving weird fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

but its not the only factor in a fight.

I mean fists aren't even an advantage. You've got to remember to hit people with them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

woozy pawsies posted:

reach beats strength
speed beats reach
strength beats speed

I feel like all three of these are quite specifically wrong.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

He probably looked slow in the rockhold fight because he got kicked in the liver a hundred times.

He was en route to winning every round against Romero until his head exploded.

I think he's probably fine. At least I hope so because I got a hundred on him beating mousasi

I'm pretty sure Weidman got badly wrestled in the second against Romero.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Weidman's downward spiral bums me out. Here's to hoping he turns it around.

He's lost to two pretty good fighters in a row. It's a losing streak, but kind of a qualified one. I still feel super dumb for thinking he was likely to retire undefeated.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The sickest part of this is you can see Dariush jabbing and shooting from further out each time due to the leg kicks, which ends up giving Barboza all the time he needs.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

The takedown attempt right before the last one he's right inside of clinching range. The first and last one are definitely far out but to say "he was shooting further and further out" is incorrect.

You may be right. He definitely gets less willing to commit that outside leg to the takedown.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

chaleski posted:

Yeah Cyborg will be a UFC champ and her terrible career will be validated and everything will be awful

She'll fail a steroid test, or fail to make weight. Or fail to make weight while failing a steroid test. Not vice versa, though. That would just be weird.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

just make him fight jeremy stephens when cub is finished clowning on him

Or Doo Ho Choi.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He's not that technical, but he's a dude you simply cannot afford to gently caress up in front of, because he can really make you pay for it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
What the gently caress. His arms are bigger than my chest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Roncho posted:

There should be an advent calendar theme. Every day a treat leading up to the ultimate treat of Cub Swanson murdering Artem Lobov.

I like that Cub Swanson has gone from being on the wrong end of good fights, to the right end of great fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

UFC April: I'm Agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson. No relation.

This is a very good one and should be the top pick.

• Locked thread