Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Anyone get the fight pass survey?

One of the potential ideas they are asking if we would find interesting.

"“Lose and You’re Out” match-ups among fighters that are in the UFC, but with multiple consecutive losses; the winner keeps his/her UFC contract but the loser is cut from the UFC"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

They have fights where the fans who follow the UFC closely know that a guy who is on a losing streak will probably soon be cut if he loses, but have they ever officially declared before a match that a guy/girl is going to be cut from the promotion if they lose a fight?

I don't think they have ever done that. It probably would be crazy depressing if they started doing that.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I really liked the movie and know dick all about "film." Just stating what appears to be obvious.

Also, does California have affordable (on par with south Nashville) parts to live in?

Out here in Southern California and you can find cheap, by California standards, places to live in Long Beach.

Long Beach owns.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Rigel posted:

Tony Ferguson said he turned down replacement offers because they would not be fighting for the interim title, and it would be for less money.

[In Khabib voice] This is number one bullshit.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

[in khabib voice, after spending 20 minutes trying to get some grapes which are just out of his reach] the grapes are afraid of me.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tony is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBSJftKGtw

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I like the idea of Conor fighting Woodley after talking Nate up as a freakishly huge giant of a man.

Conor needs to fight Tony first though since Khabib lost.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

Could be because the other guy did even less than he did the whole fight and yet many fans are exclusively chanting "gently caress Woodley"

The way he cracked up at Wonderboy's "why you gotta be so mean" was pretty funny and endearing to me.

What kills me about Tyron is that I bet there's actually a cool chill dude hiding in there that people might like, but he keeps trying to do this "I'm the greatest welterweight in the world" persona and it comes off as so forced.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/tony-ferguson-says-he-received-less-than-half-his-contracted-show-money-for-ufc-209/

Tony talked to MMA Junkie and says he was shocked to receive less than half of his contracted show money for UFC 209.

A UFC official spoke anonymously that Tony was told how much money he would be receiving, but did not deny that they paid him less than the show money.

Insanely lovely if true, especially when Tony has had nothing but great things to say about the UFC, and even showed up to the weigh ins and asked everyone to show love to the UFC, to Khabib, and to buy the PPV.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

manyak posted:

The UFC has been really nickel and diming everyone lately huh

Yeaap, and it's weird as gently caress to do this to a guy who has turned in a bunch of insanely watchable spectacular fights and probably could have livened the card up a lot if they had paid him what he was asking for to fight Michael Johnson on super short notice, which was his contracted show money, but instead asked him to take a pay cut for that fight.

Not that it would be ok to do this to a less exciting fighter, but Tony seems like the kind of guy you'd want to do the absolute bare minimum for to keep happy and pay the guy his show money.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 8, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Remember when Rockhold, jacare, Romero, and Weidman meant 2-3 years of all time classic fights ahead of us in a couture-ortiz-liddell esque golden age for MW

Well Rockhold was supposed to fight Jacare again recently till he got AKAed and had to pull out, and Romero recently killed Weidman so we are half way there.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

JaySB posted:

I'm putting together an interview series for YouTube. What fighters would you most like to see interviewed?

Jorge Masvidal

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I get the knockout bit, but from what I can tell the poo poo talk isn't even creative or funny. Like, I haven't found any examples of him being clever instead of just really loud. Obviously trying to figure it out in retrospect is very different from being there at the time, though.

Conor's ability to get people to both love and hate him to extreme degrees, when it's really obvious that it's all an act on stopping to think about it for 30 seconds, is probably his greatest talent aside from knocking people out a lot.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 14, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

The Chael comparison is a bit unfair too. Chael has said a lot of unfunny stupid poo poo, but I'm laughing right now thinking about "He doesn't even sound like me. He sounds Mexican"

Diaz repeatedly out talking him was...something. The funniest thing I've seen Connor do is flip out when Nate makes fun of him.

Ido Portal vanishing from Conor's social media and embedded's after the touch butt thing was the best.

edit: Conor had some funny lines too. In terms of hyping up and selling a fight those two were born to work together.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 14, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/841792895120203776

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

red19fire posted:

UFC 212: No Mercy for Old Champs

This feels like less of a squash match than kelvin vs vitor.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

manyak posted:

Why are you so hung up on this and why do you think 1 guy getting more famous is proof that the pay scale in MMA is completely different

I don't understand why people think Conor has changed the game for anyone but Conor, and by extension Nate who can wait for the trilogy fight.

Plenty of fighters have been calling for "money fights" since the Nate and Conor fights went down and plenty of fighters have been told to sit down and fight who the UFC tells them to fight.

They wouldn't even give Tony Ferguson, a guy practically guaranteed to put on exciting entertaining fights, the show money he was going to get to fight Khabib to fight Michael Johnson on like 30 hours notice. They tried to nickel and dime him over like 100k.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dana on Conan saying he thinks Conor Floyd will happen.

"UFC President Dana White told Conan O’Brien on the comedian’s show Wednesday night that the payout for a potential Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather boxing match is why it will finally happen.

“I do,” White answered when asked if the two will get in the ring together. “There’s a lot of egos involved in this deal, but on the flip side there’s so much money involved, I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

The fight will be a boxing match in a ring, not the Octagon, White confirmed."

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think Penn was just crazy out matched by a young and really good up and comer in Yair.

Siver experienced a similar defeat against a young and talented McGregor.

I think it will be a better fight than people expect.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Since when did Siver become this scary guy that might seriously hurt another old but much better fighter?

I think BJ just took such a savage beating from Yair that to some people it looks like he can't fight at all anymore, but I think he was just hopelessly outmatched there and the UFC sacrificed him to build up Yair.

Siver seems like the kind of match up he should be getting in the first place, and at one point I think they were supposed to fight at 199.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Give me Rockhold vs Jon Jones.

This would be cool if Rockhold is going to leave 185 for some reason.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

No I mean when like two months ago derrick lewis fought against some dude no one knows as a headline.

My assumption would be that they hoped that fight would have played out more like Browne vs Lewis, wherein Lewis savagely KOs a guy within 2 rounds.

Instead it was four brutally boring rounds until Lewis eventually got the guy on the ground and savagely knocked him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I like adverbs

• Locked thread