Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TNA has won Worst Promotion in the Observer Awards for a 10th straight year

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New logo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
John F. Swagsalot vs. Alberto for the TNA World Title

Swagger going Full Racist with the Trump gimmick would be interesting

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strawberry Panda posted:

God damnit do i have to read every thread now for lovely business practices or is there one that consolidates all of them?

We had a wrestling dirt thread at one point...I'll leave it at that

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had never heard this - Cornette claims TNA only brought Russo back in late 2006 because Jeff Jarrett wanted to leave the booking team to take care of his wife who had cancer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDN_sFD-rmk

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/411mania/status/839858390243373059

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/imwiththoughts/status/839942531592900608

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It looked like Tenay to me at first

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tato posted:

Also, why are wrestling promoters the only dumb fucks on earth who think people want FEUDING COMMENTATORS that detract from the product? Vince even wanted to get Jesse Ventura feuding with the coaches to try and drum up some sort of interest in the XFL. Commentators should be there to enhance the product, never to detract from it or be the center of attention. It's the dumbest poo poo alive.

Didn't it start with Heenan, who was blatantly biased towards the guys he was managing/had managed and it turned into an angle with Perfect who was doing commentary while injured

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would think the whole "Broken" gimmick would be TNA's intellectual property

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

gently caress that Owl.

We've found the winner for the naming contest

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MotU posted:

i thought they were naming it Birdy

That is the hip thing to call future casualties of the wrestling business, yes

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skinty McEdger posted:

Of course it had that guitar shot on Hogan in Japan they put in every loving thing.

...even after Hogan was actually in TNA for 3 years they still used that clip?

Hahahahahahaha

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhonne posted:

What was the story behind that anyways? Did they just both happen to be in Japan and Jarrett asked Hogan for a favor or something?

Hogan was going to come in for TNA's first 3-hour PPV in 2004 and face Jarrett, but negotiations fell through

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Like maybe, MAYBE they own the name. POSSIBLY. TNA can't possibly own "talks in a certain accent, rambles incoherently, talks about Seven Deities." Good loving luck, idiots.

If Steve Austin went to TNA tomorrow, he would have to be "Steve Austin". No mention of "Stone Cold", no mention of "3:16", no "gimme a hell yeah", no "what?", no "and that's the bottom line because stone cold said so", etc.

All that stuff was created while he worked in WWE and it remains WWE's intellectual property

Remember when Booker T jumped to TNA and wanted to continue the "King Booker" gimmick with Sharmell without actually calling himself that? He changed his accent from that of a royal aristocrat to that of an African King. He sounded retarded, but he did it because he knew WWE would sue him otherwise

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay but even IF that''s the case, what in the gently caress is TNA's endgame here and how could it POSSIBLY end well for them in any way?

Make the Hardys buy the gimmick from them

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrigadierSensible posted:

You can't copywrite an accent, nor mannerisms etc. But you can copywrite a name and a catchphrase.

Right - but in court you can argue that the mannerisms show intent by the performer to use the character

That's why Scott Hall dropped the cuban accent after jumping back to WCW - WWE argued (successfully) that WCW was trying to present Razor Ramon on their television program

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bully Ray just threw down some revisionist history:

http://411mania.com/wrestling/bully-ray-says-he-almost-brought-the-character-to-wwe/

quote:

On Impact making a play for him: “At the last minute, TNA came in hard and heavy and made me a significant offer. But the way I look at it is this: If I can’t go back some place and top what I did before, then it’s kind of pointless. I’m not blowing smoke up my own rear end here, Bully Ray was the top heel in TNA. I generated ratings—me and Jeff Hardy drew TNA’s biggest house of all time at Lockdown, and I had my run with Hulk and with Sting. If you take a look at the landscape of TNA and their locker room, I don’t have anybody to top what I did before.”

He's taking credit for drawing 7,000 people in the 60,000 seat Alamodome

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Havoc904 posted:

I'm pretty sure Austin was like 38/39 when he retired. Or am I missing something?

He was 38 for his last match in 2003

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CubsWoo posted:

This but WWE also refuses to acknowledge the Broken universe and has 42 and 39 year old Matt and Jeff, The Hardy Boyz come back complete with 90s gear and mannerisms

They kidnap Lita and bring her down to the ring against her will

"Wait where are you taking me"

"YOU MUST DO THE DANCE IN THE RING WITH US - YOU ENJOY DOING THAT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hermie Sadler-era TNA house shows were all good, they should let him run the live events

I just looked it up and he's currently on GFW's Board of Directors, for whatever that's worth

• Locked thread