Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

what about generation y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

baby boomers are also the generation that cares deeply about what bathroom people pee and poop in.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

re: millenials

this is showing up on my facebook feed today

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Sacred-Heart-mourns-death-of-student-after-eating-11045868.php

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

on KAKE news holy smokes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

what about generation y

Gen y is millenials.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

quote:

The late James Nelson participated in rescue efforts in both the 2011 and 1993 World Trade Center attacks, according to the Star-Ledger in New Jersey. In 1993, he braved heavy smoke despite his asthma to evacuate occupants from a bombing.

o7

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Get hosed

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1078861/media posted:

Arab News regrettably announces that it will discontinue publishing articles by US columnist Andrew Bowen.

The reason behind this decision is the columnist insisting that this newspaper deletes previous articles dating back prior to the recent US election where he was in favor of Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

Bowen, a visiting scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, has repeatedly requested the removal of these articles stating that this is needed for him “to be cleared” for what he claims to be a possible job with the new Donald Trump administration’s State Department.

We wish Mr. Bowen the best of luck in his job application.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Nobody cares about this but the Ecuadorian election is being challenged. There were a lot of irregularities and Lasso is demanding a recount. There are protests on various cities.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

psydude posted:

Disagree. Baby boomers are the worst. Their parents literally saved the world from Nazis, and the boomers celebrated by demanding an expansion of government-funded benefits that they could take advantage of while destroying the economy and pulling the ladder up after them, leaving their kids to pay into systems that will no longer exist by the time they can theoretically benefit. They experienced Vietnam, and then subsequently elected three presidents who dodged the draft. One of these presidents went on to start two wars that did nothing but get their kids liquefied by IEDs. They completely destroyed the power of unions (conveniently after their pensions had already fully vested) and then forced everyone to go to college before they hired them, all the while defunding subsidies to public universities, resulting in an unprecedented debt to income ratio among college graduates.

All of this, and they have the audacity to call everyone younger than them entitled for asking for living wages and benefits? gently caress the baby boomers.

Truly the worst. It's incredibly infuriating to get lectured by some smug retired boomer about how worthless the Millennials are. They've been so successful at it that half of Millennials try and disassociate themselves with the term.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Which outcome results in Assange being tossed out to the wolves in the cold London rain?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Guacamayo posted:

Nobody cares about this but the Ecuadorian election is being challenged. There were a lot of irregularities and Lasso is demanding a recount. There are protests on various cities.

Something weird in the water down there. This and the Venezuela shenanigans.

I wonder if we're looking at World War 2: Part 3, The Fascist and the Furious?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

Which outcome results in Assange being tossed out to the wolves in the cold London rain?

I believe the guy demanding the recount is the one that has said Assange is out when he is in.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012

psydude posted:

Lasso winning. Right now Lenin, the goverments candidate was declared winner.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Millennials fall into the middle/end of the baby boomers and the beginning of generation X. There isn't really a 1 to 1 mapping between a generation and its parents; generations are defined by the contemporary culture in which they grow up.

I mean, I grew up whith BBSs and cassette tapes. My first computer was a commodore 64. Just trying hard to find reasons I'm not millenial.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

my first pc was a tandy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Unless you are an OAP, chances are you get thrown in the Millenial category by Baby Boomers.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My dad had an XT clone when I was a kid that I remember playing some SEGA game on, I learned to type on an Apple II and used them (and original Macs) extensively through middle school. Hell, I even had to learn about typing on an electric typewriter in high school in the late 90s. Other than that I remember dialing into a BBS once or twice and mostly growing up on AOL circa 1995.

The earliest newsworthy event I remember is Desert Shield/Storm, so I suppose that puts me solidly in the older Millennial camp.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Gonna bring something that was somehow in the drunk thread over because I liked it, re: more "why did Clinton lose" posts:

Capn Beeb posted:

I remember a sit down between John Oliver and Stephen Colbert where they leaned kinda heavily towards the idea that the both of them as well as well as other similar folks normalizing this garbage under the guise of comedy played a not-insignificant role of getting Trump elected.

Guess we're forgetting about that.

from the sidebar links

quote:

It also touched off the 34,998th relitigation of the 2016 Democratic primaries and, frankly, I am sick of all these people. I am sick of the useless posturing, the vain heckling, the shined-up counter-narratives that have nothing to do with the damage that is being done now, at this moment, all over the government, to every progressive accomplishment back to the turn of the last century.

I have seen bad Democratic presidential campaigns. I have seen good Democratic campaigns. Hillary Rodham Clinton ran a very average Democratic presidential campaign, and she did so on the most progressive platform a party has put forth in a half-century. At the same time, anyone who denies the progressive energy that the Sanders campaign brought to the election is a fool. The rest of it was a collection of unprecedented flukes all coming together at once: the Russian hacking, the Comey meddling, journalistic malpractice of a kind that always seems to occur when there's a Clinton on the ballot, and, yes, the latent racism and xenophobia and fear of The Other that always resides in the dwindling white majority when it does anything en masse—like voting.

That was the accelerant, as the arson squad says. That was what got people to the rallies. That's what got them on their feet when they were there. That's what got people punched in the head. (Speaking of which, somebody else is going to get to sue the president*, this time on that very issue. Thanks, Paula Jones!) And that was a big part of what got enough people to the polls to activate that creaky slaveowner's doomsday device known as the Electoral College. So, I guess I disagree with what Sanders said at the Orpheum. But I'm not going to define my politics going forward based on that disagreement.

This clamorous futility has to end. There's too much at stake. The country is going off the rails and there's a cartoon character at the wheel. Look, instead, to projects like what Al Giordano is doing with his School of Authentic Journalism. He's holding workshops to train organizers, and Al learned his political organizing in Mexico, where voicing the wrong opinion can get you far worse than a spanking on Twitter.

If Joe Manchin and Heidi Heitkamp think they can't survive without throwing Gorsuch a vote, well, I think they're wrong. But engaging either one of them in a doomed primary attempt would be a diversion of energy and money and time that the Democratic minority can ill afford. Look, instead, to what Jon Ossoff is doing down in the Georgia 6th. He's got them running scared—the oppo is beginning to drop—and he's doing it without raking old intra-party wounds and settling old intra-party scores. I'm sure that, if he were to win, one day, he'll cast a vote for which the Purity Brigade will call him a neoliberal. Other people will leap to defend him. I'm also sure that I will not be able to care less about either position.

What I do know is that electing Jon Ossoff gets the country one step closer to Minority Leader Paul Ryan, and that's the game that matters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My dad was in Saudi for Desert Shield, home before the business kicked off. That was the only time I ever saw the tv-esque "put all the families on the flightline to welcome them home" thing IRL.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
IBM ps2. Clackety mechanical keyboard and all.

Years later I had a pc with a turbo button and it was tits for wolfenstein.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
as for vpns, I've been using mudfish for awhile

it is a silly korean one and charges by the gigabyte but uh I've spent like 10 bucks on it over the years and it still has money

https://mudfish.net/

it is mainly for games but still works for browsing. 8 gigs is about 1 dollar and I guess they got a subscription plan that I never looked at

http://wiki.mudfish.net/Data%20Plans

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

IBM ps2. Clackety mechanical keyboard and all.

Years later I had a pc with a turbo button and it was tits for wolfenstein.

if you've never been stoked to connect faster than 33.6kbps you're loving young end of story

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Two Finger posted:

if you've never been stoked to connect faster than 33.6kbps you're loving young end of story

kbps? :smug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

14000 baud, motherfuckers. Dial your buddy up in Warcraft II and play that poo poo over your modem (what's Battle.net?). Bonus points if you have Through the Dark Portal.

Better hope your mom doesn't pick up the phone in the middle of your paladin rush, though.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/ByronTau/status/849015478936850432

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ok ok i mean i'm not the oldest here but i have written my own batch files with memmaker so i could play WC2 smdftb

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i used to play doom and duke3d dialup every day after school

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Third season premiere of rick and morty is running again on adult swim.

Warcraft 2 was awesome, but I somehow missed it until about a year before warcraft 3 came out, and never bothered playing it beyond that year or so. I got hooked on simcity 2000 at a young age.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 4, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i used to play doom and duke3d dialup every day after school

well look at mr fancy loving pants
my first computer was a 286, don't ask me any more than that because i can't tell you i was too young
i do know it had 2048kb of memory because the startup process is burnt into my brain
and it played the original simcity

type FUNDS for more money but do it too many times and the game will trigger fires to punish you

well guess what game if i cover every tile of the map in roads your fires do jack and poo poo :smugdog:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

14000 baud, motherfuckers. Dial your buddy up in Warcraft II and play that poo poo over your modem (what's Battle.net?). Bonus points if you have Through the Dark Portal.

Better hope your mom doesn't pick up the phone in the middle of your paladin rush, though.

lmao if you didn't start on 9600 or less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cJ0iCMog6k

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My parents just bought a brand new Acer Aspire with Windows 95. It's fast enough to play Dark Forces!

Anyway, we're about to sign up for Bell Atlantic's internet service (also switching to MCI for long distance). I'll give you a collect call when I'm on my way back from the arcade (I lost my phone card) and we can fire up a game of Red Alert.

Also, I finally beat the latest Commander Keen. I'll tell you all about it on AIM.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Two Finger posted:

the day we got ADSL was a fuckin mindblowing experience. a whole megabit per second AND someone can be on the phone while you use the internet?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

how much ram does your computer have

1024?
2048?
4096?
8192?
16384?
32768?
65536?

poo poo maybe I am slightly autistic

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just lol if you didn't try downloading the Starcraft demo to a floppy disk because you were like 8 and your parents yelled at you for using too much memory on the computer. All of those games are using all of our memory, the Windows told us we were out of it! Better delete some stuff from our hard drive!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

psydude posted:

Just lol if you didn't try downloading the Starcraft demo to a floppy disk because you were like 8 your parents yelled at you for using too much memory on the computer. All of those games are using all of our memory!

starcraft is for faggots
*plays total annihilation on a p75 with 16mb of ram*

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Two Finger posted:

ok ok i mean i'm not the oldest here but i have written my own batch files with memmaker so i could play WC2 smdftb

Same. Some poo poo way before Warcraft one, though...before Dune 2 even, don't even recall what wizardry we had set up when we were still in South Africa and I knew nothing of electronics, but after my first PC, I lovingly cherished the memories of getting EMS though loving command lines in autoexec.bat and rebooting before I could run some games.

First modem also was 9600 BAUD

Lol if you didn't have Kings Quest whateverthefuck and Larry III on a gajillion 3.5" disks

PLEASE INSERT VOLUME X TO CONTINUE midgame

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 4, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Back in my day, HTML had about 6 tags and all of the cool web pages looked like this.

e: Real talk, War Craft I was hard as gently caress.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

2400 baud modem krew

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Same. Some poo poo way before Warcraft one, though...before Dune 2 even, don't even recall what wizardry we had set up when we were still in South Africa and I knew nothing of electronics, but after my first PC, I lovingly cherished the memories of getting EMS though loving command lines in autoexec.bat and rebooting before I could run some games.

Lol if you didn't have Kings Quest whateverthefuck and Larry III on a gajillion 3.5" disks

yo gently caress sierra's copy protection for ever

my dad lost the manual for police quest so two friends and i spent a whole weekend trying to get the locker open

i think the code is 247?

edit: 269, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

TO PLAY THE BROTHERHOOD OF NOD CAMPAIGN, PLEASE INSERT THE BOTHERHOOD OF NOD DISK.

• Locked thread