Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Deathy McDeath posted:

He and Geithner oversaw the implementation of TARP. That was super important.

Didn't the government end up profiting off of TARP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

unbutthurtable posted:

At this point, I would support any politician, regardless of other stances, if they ran on a policy of merciless, holy inquisition of Customs and Border Protection

I dunno if you know this, but Donald Trump appointed the Executive Director of a white supremacist hate group to be the Chief of Staff for CBP. Admittedly the hate group is for egg-heads and academics to influence policy and stop non-white immigration in order to preserve a white majority in the US rather than skinheads knocking over Jewish tombstones, but there you have it.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I eagerly await Trump's condemnation of Wikileaks now that they've seriously compromised the CIA's hacking tools.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

psydude posted:

Don't they also have a massive tuberculosis epidemic among their prison population?

In 2000 about 10% of the prison population had active Tb. The vast majority of cases of Tb are latent. Prisoners are 58 times more likely to die of Tb than the general population.

Percentage of Latent Tb in Various Russian Professions:
Primary health care providers: 39.1%
Medical students: 8.7%
TB hospital health providers: 46.9%
TB laboratory workers: 61.1%

The WHO recognized this as a serious problem and began addressing it in the 2000s and the rates have gone down since then but still remain astronomical compared to here.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

lol The new healthcare plan destroys the enhanced Medicaid starting in 2020, and it's a huge tax cut for rich people, drug manufacturers, and insurers.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Like the only way to stay on enhanced Medicaid after 2020 (if this bill is passed) is to have 100% continuous enrollment which requires your local Dept. of Health and Human Services not to gently caress up and randomly kick you off when you start a new job or it wants additional info from you and gives you 1 week's notice. More than 1/2 of people on Medicaid are kicked off it due to poo poo like this every year and have to reapply.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Casimir Radon posted:

Flood them with the worst batches of heroin we can lay our hands on and let nature take its course.

(Prevalence of Injection Drug Use-Related HIV in Russia, 2012) "Russia has the largest population of injecting drug users (IDUs) in the world — an estimated 1·8 million people. More than a third have HIV; in some regions, the proportion is nearer to three-quarters. Astonishingly, an estimated 90% of Russian IDUs have hepatitis C, and most patients co-infected with HIV and tuberculosis in Russia are drug-dependent."

Source: Talha Burki, "Russia’s drug policy fuels infectious disease epidemics," The Lancet, Vol. 12, April 2012, p. 275.
- See more at: http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Russia#sthash.zHav0rsz.dpuf

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I've been reading on what passes for "drug treatment" in Russia and it's basically a bunch of hilarious poo poo that we would probably view as torture in this country. They take you and put you in what is essentially a prison with 60 other people for a year. For the first month you're locked in a "quarantine room" shoulder-to-shoulder with other addicts & handcuffed to a bed. All it takes is a letter from your family.

16% of Russian "narcologists" use some retarded form of hypnotism to make drug users think that they will die if they take the drug again.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2017/03/atf_investigating_fire_at_mosq.html

Someone burned down the local mosque where I live. My buddy Sameer once met Dave Chappelle during a service there.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Yeah the states that have used it have found that something like 95% of the people pass the drug test, 4% just don't take it for one reason or another, and 1% fail it and the vast majority of those failed drug tests are due to marijuana because opiates, cocaine, meth, etc. are all in your system for only a week at most.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Two Finger posted:

honestly whoever the gently caress came up with this whole concept of trickle down deserves to be shot. doubly so since i read somewhere they made a rounding error giving the false impression in the first place.

It's been around for a long time. Back in the 1800s they called it "Horse and Sparrow" economics. You give the extra oats to the horse, which shits them out and the sparrows come and eat the leftovers out of the horse's poo poo. That sounds like a lot better analogy although it never quite caught on.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

M_Gargantua posted:

One out of Humvee gets healthcare, one behind follows with GI bill. When the one with the healthcare gets killed, the one who is following picks up benefits and continues.

:drat:

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Americans don't have to compete with uneducated, illiterate 3rd world workers who lack labor/environmental protections if we have plenty of them here.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

What would Trump's "tax reform" have been anyways? Pretty sure that'd be designed to screw poor people just as much in the long run. Probably would've cut taxes on capital gains, dividends, the top income bracket, then give a pittance to the poor and middle class, probably a corporate tax holiday so they could onshore billions of dollars tax free.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

"Perhaps the most uncomfortable moment of Ms. Haley’s speech on Wednesday came when she tried to defend Mr. Trump’s travel ban. She insisted that it was not meant to exclude Muslims, but to strengthen vetting procedures for asylum seekers. At one point, she cited this month’s London terrorist attack as a justification for the travel ban. The audience murmured audibly; the London assailant was a native-born Briton."

LOL

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Venezuela just went full dictatorship. The National Assembly has been annulled by the Supreme Court.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Republicans probably aren't going to impeach Trump, so the best course of action might be to just use up all his time being embroiled in these scandals so he remains extremely unpopular, keeps infighting between Republicans constant, and is unable to pass major legislation. I'll support impeachment if it happens because it'll be severely damaging to the Republican Party and I don't know how much Pence could get done with that albatross around his neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Narcissism is almost impossible to treat because the afflicted will never view themselves as a narcissist and, if ordered to seek therapy, will believe themselves smarter and better than the therapist and not needing any change. It's caused by having poo poo self-esteem deep down, so they delude themselves into the lie that they are actually their ideal self instead of their real self. It's an ego protection mechanism and anything at all that puts up a mirror to their imperfections is viciously attacked and must be destroyed. They develop obsessions with enemies and allies and you are either one or the other to them. They also need a constant supply of adulation so they surround themselves with yes-men and grandstand to get attention and validation (narcissistic supply). To them, the most important quality is loyalty, not truth.

If you scan their brains, they also have less gray matter in the left anterior insula and the area of the prefrontal cortex that processes empathy/compassion. This means their cognitive function and emotional regulation are already compromised. They also have unusually high activity in a region of the brain associated with self-directed thinking. There's also increased activity in the part of the frontal cortex that does impulse control, which actually corresponds to more impulsive behavior. Like they have so many crazy impulses to do stupid and destructive poo poo that it is overloading their self-control mechanisms.

Think about how terrifying your own internal monologue is then multiply that by several times in a brain that lacks empathy and compassion for others and is obsessed with the self.

• Locked thread