Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

March is the worst month for me. It's raining and I left my umbrella on the bus on the way to school, and now... my university apparently received a bomb threat?? Ugh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RIP Jay Rust

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

oddium posted:

eu4... is so good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

March is the worst month for me. It's raining and I left my umbrella on the bus on the way to school, and now... my university apparently received a bomb threat?? Ugh!
Normally March is just the pits in New England but it's been in the 50s and 60s the last couple of years (hit 74 last week!). So that's one, uh, upside to Climate Change I guess.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

must be midterms time!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Naming the new femshep Lucille 2 in honor of this fine gif

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think that's just goons

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

I think that's just goons

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I suppose if I constantly thought super critically about every single game I've ever played I could probably make myself hate them all quite a lot, instead of just going "welp" and thinking about something else.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i noticed it happen with MGSV most recently. when it first came out everyone was fuckin exploding with cum over it and now people are like "UGH that game"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I still explode with cum over it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

from fox, two phantoms were born

the good parts of mgsv and the bad parts, that is

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

a kitten posted:

I keep seeing a giant Crow T. Robot-esque face behind her, instead of the side and shoulder of that Krogan.

It took me a second but now it's all I can see.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

everyone seems to love horizon new dawn right now but i'm interested to see if it adheres to the typical AAA hype-to-antihype cycle

where at launch it's the best game ever, in 6 month's it's 'pretty good', in a year it 'has issues', and in 2 years it's 'only get it on sale'

I don't know if it'll be anti-hype exactly but being an open-world game, it's definitely the kind of thing that I think most people will get when it's on sale, and I think that's OK. I'm loving it but I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the Mad Max-meets-Oryx and Crake atmosphere and story are very cool to me, as are the robots. The whole thing has a narrative drive which is very up and down. Sometimes it reminds me of New Vegas in quality and sometimes it reminds me of Skyrim in quality, to give you a good idea of the up and down. If it was better at consistently staying good, I'd think it would become a goon darling like New Vegas but I think instead it will probably be considered "one of the better open world games because of gameplay and a somewhat novel game world, but with flaws" like say Mad Max or Far Cry 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider. The last one might be especially apt.

i noticed it happen with MGSV most recently. when it first came out everyone was fuckin exploding with cum over it and now people are like "UGH that game"

If that game had an actual ending, I think it would still be a goon darling. The gameplay was soooo good...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Change the 6 months to one week and 2 years to 6 months and you got it perfect

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Uncharted 4 is bad now too (and The Last of Us/GTAV etc etc)

Do people hate Dark Souls 3 yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't love it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think that's more that everyone who played mgsv died from cumming too much and now the only people left that walk the earth are those that hated it enough not to play it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://twitter.com/_RaHaN_/status/837020201023639553

https://twitter.com/letteraV/status/837020261853483010
:eyepop:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dare not venture into a Dark Souls thread

a place where angels fear to tread

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Rise of the Tomb Raider was great and Horizon might even be a little better, I'll have to see how it shakes out.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/837031975839936512

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Uncharted 4 is bad now too (and The Last of Us/GTAV etc etc)

Do people hate Dark Souls 3 yet

Duh

DS2 has been upgraded to good game in its place

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

In 2 years it will be $19 so whats the problem v:cool:v

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That's most internet communities full of dudes in general. Bioshock, GTAIV (this one had its own sub-forum here back then even, with goons gushing over it), Witcher 2, etc. pretty much any hyped and well received game is despised by the usual suspects over at NeoGAF, 4chan and here after a few months. MGS4 had very positive reviews from both ~~professional~~ critics and regular players and the hardcore hate it nowadays.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
People souring on MGSV over time makes sense too because most of the problems with it are story related and specifically the end of the game, which is long as heck

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am Error.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I am Mad About Zelda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only video "game" that could ever really be considered an actual game is Gone Home.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider was great and Horizon might even be a little better, I'll have to see how it shakes out.

Rise was excruciating outside of the bits where you were actually playing it, Horizon has it beat on that front already.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Pictures of Link from the dark timeline were Nintendo stopped making consoles and develop games for Xbox and ps

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even goon reviews, those most trusted and hallowed of all reviews, have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm seeing it now with Doom. I was a tiny bit wary of playing it from criticism that it was going from arena to arena but now that I'm playing it I think about how similar these "arena" fights are to other games if I swapped it for something like "setpiece". And I'm noticing how much combat is actually spread all throughout the levels in areas of all shapes and sizes that could in no way be described as arenas. Not to mention how much "arena" combat there was in the original Doom games!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Rise was excruciating outside of the bits where you were actually playing it, Horizon has it beat on that front already.

Horizon doesn't have Endurance Mode yet.

Please make Endurance Mode for Horizon.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Duh

DS2 has been upgraded to good game in its place

Maybe the best strategy is to make a bad game people can warm up to

(but i always liked DS2 so what do I know)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GUI posted:

That's most internet communities full of dudes in general. Bioshock, GTAIV (this one had its own sub-forum here back then even, with goons gushing over it), Witcher 2, etc. pretty much any hyped and well received game is despised by the usual suspects over at NeoGAF, 4chan and here after a few months. MGS4 had very positive reviews from both ~~professional~~ critics and regular players and the hardcore hate it nowadays.

If someone doesn't like MGS4 you know to avoid them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as it turns out getting video game recommendations from complete strangers on the internet that have been established completely independently of your own personal tastes and opinions is dumb as poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Horizon Zero Yawn - some games journalist somewhere, I assume

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Literally the only way to tell if you like a game is to play it yourself. Trust no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Horizon Zero Yawn - some games journalist somewhere, I assume

Boreizon Zero Fun

• Locked thread