Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I can't wait until Gronk is out of the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauff/status/837403287443787776

Only if they draw up a play where he throws the ball to his best receiver, Richard Sherman

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Comprising is fine. It's even a synonym of composing.

www.m-w.com posted:

comprised; comprising
transitive verb

1: to include especially within a particular scope
… civilization as Lenin used the term would then certainly have comprised the changes that are now associated in our minds with “developed” rather than “developing” states. — The Times Literary Supplement (London)

2: to be made up of
The factory was to be a vast installation, comprising fifty buildings. — Jane Jacobs
The play comprises three acts.

3: compose, constitute
… a misconception as to what comprises a literary generation. — William Styron
… about 8 percent of our military forces are comprised of women. — Jimmy Carter

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That's a pretty drastic response to losing to the Packers once

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Only if they draw up a play where he throws the ball to his best receiver, Richard Sherman

I'm down for Kaep. I think he has what it takes to play LT.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

ulmont posted:

Comprising is fine. It's even a synonym of composing.

Just because the good people at Merriam-Webster have surrendered to bad practice doesn't mean I have to. :colbert:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/andrewsiciliano/status/837467008450994176

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2017/03/02/for-fans-whove-used-the-bills-message-board/

quote:

For fans who’ve used the Bills message board

Posted by Chris Brown on March 2, 2017 – 12:09 pm

For those fans who have inquired about the fate of the Bills message board, which has long been an interactive area for lively conversation about the team, the organization thanks you for your contributions and support of the Buffalo Bills. We understand that change is difficult sometimes, but with the emerging popularity of Buffalo Bills social media channels, the organization is encouraging fans to use the platforms below to interact and share opinions and facts about our teams[.

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills
Twitter – https://twitter.com/buffalobills
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/buffalobills/
Snapchat – https://www.snapchat.com/add/BillsNFL

Only team in the NFL without an official message board

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Super excited for Seattle fans to declare Kaepernick One Of The Good Ones when he gets there after their stupid Kaepernick is a bad person infographics

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Super excited for Seattle fans to declare Kaepernick One Of The Good Ones when he gets there after their stupid Kaepernick is a bad person infographics

Russell Wilson is going to rub off on him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chichevache posted:

Russell Wilson is going to rub off on him.
Isnt Russell married by now?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt Russell married by now?

Not if Kaep has anything to say about it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Not really a bad thing. Team message boards are loving awful

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not really a bad thing. Team message boards are loving awful

Tampa shut its Message Board down for awhile because it was awful garbage. I'm surprised there aren't more teams that do this, actually.

Also, I would draft a kicker in the Top 10 if we still kicked off from the 30 and touch backs went to the 20. I don't think coaches will ever consistently attempt kicks from 60+ because of the field position risk, but there's a lot of value in having a kicker who can make a higher percentage of 45-55 yard FG attempts. Also if we ever had a kicker who was also an NFL caliber punter, it may be worth it from a roster spot perspective.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/837474226307219456

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Let them be the first of many.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Man Pittsburgh sports twitter got really angry yesterday when Chris Mueller and Joe Starky were saying that the Steelers should look at Kaep as a backup
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/03/03/Joe-Starkey-Pittsburgh-Steelers-should-consider-Colin-Kaepernick/stories/201703030131

It has to be racism because I would take Kaep over Landry Jones every goddamn time.

quote:

You need to get off the Foo Foo Juice, Joe. In what deranged state did you ever expect Kneeling Knee to fit in a Patriotic town like the 'Burgh. You might get him cheap, but he would be universally hated in the Steel Town. No respect for the Flag and our Vets doesn't sit well with Pittsburgh Folk.
God I hate yinzers, just a bunch of cosmopolitan hicks

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 3, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This was last page, but if you're certain to make a 70 yard field goal, you take it every time over punting the ball deep because you then get to kick off right after anyways.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

This was last page, but if you're certain to make a 70 yard field goal, you take it every time over punting the ball deep because you then get to kick off right after anyways.

it's easier to down a punt inside the 10 than a kickoff because punts can go out of bounds, and a touchback on a kickoff puts your opponent at the 25

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

it's easier to down a punt inside the 10 than a kickoff because punts can go out of bounds, and a touchback on a kickoff puts your opponent at the 25

How meaningful is the extra 15-20 yards, statistically?

edit: from the chart you posted before I'd say that the chance of either a field goal or a touchdown goes up by about 5% (~20% to ~25%) which seems like it has a much lower expected point value than three points.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 3, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

evilweasel posted:

How meaningful is the extra 15-20 yards, statistically?

edit: from the chart you posted before I'd say that the chance of either a field goal or a touchdown goes up by about 5% (~20% to ~25%) which seems like it has a much lower expected point value than three points.

I'm not going to rehash this. Just refer to my post which shows the actual probability of a win is higher for downing your opponent at the 5 than kicking the FG and getting a touchback, albeit with caveats on both sides. There's literally two pages of discussion on this.

e: you aren't considering that a FG from your opponent doesn't win the game for them, but rather gives them a 50/50 chance of winning in OT. If they score a TD, you're hosed unless they miss the XP, which is much rarer.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't your super accurate robo kicker be the one kicking off, so you wouldn't have to worry about him kicking it out of bounds or pinning them inside the 10 - he could just do it?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wouldn't your super accurate robo kicker be the one kicking off, so you wouldn't have to worry about him kicking it out of bounds or pinning them inside the 10 - he could just do it?

Eh even a super accurate kicker could not account for a bad ball bounce

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah but what if he could

what then

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CyberPingu posted:

A kicker that can hit 70 yard field goals should be able to get enough hang time for coverage to make it down the field and drop the ball inside the 10.

This hypo was based on a FG or pinning them inside the 10. If you're far enough out for a 60-70 yard field goal, a punt is going to need 50-60 yards to pin someone deep. You would need a hell of a punter to make that consistently worthwhile vs points on the board.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What have I done?? (when I started this derail)

:ohdear:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What would happen if theoretical 70 yard FG kicker was the kicker in this jackass video? Would Preston have died? I think we need Dr. Swickles to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt5Lzw-rFpg

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

A kicker that can hit 70 yard field goals should be able to get enough hang time for coverage to make it down the field and drop the ball inside the 10.

This hypo was based on a FG or pinning them inside the 10. If you're far enough out for a 60-70 yard field goal, a punt is going to need 50-60 yards to pin someone deep. You would need a hell of a punter to make that consistently worthwhile vs points on the board.

50-yard punts are very common. Every starting punter in the NFL had a punt over 55 yards last year, and several averaged punt distances in the 48-50 yard range. You don't need a hell of a punter, you just need a decent one and a coverage unit that isn't rear end.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

whiteyfats posted:

What have I done?? (when I started this derail)

:ohdear:

So much special teams chat, my suspicions have been raised. He has infiltrated our forums. Belichick! Reveal yourself! Your dark powers have no sway here!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm not going to rehash this. Just refer to my post which shows the actual probability of a win is higher for downing your opponent at the 5 than kicking the FG and getting a touchback, albeit with caveats on both sides. There's literally two pages of discussion on this.

e: you aren't considering that a FG from your opponent doesn't win the game for them, but rather gives them a 50/50 chance of winning in OT. If they score a TD, you're hosed unless they miss the XP, which is much rarer.

I did, that is the exact chart I'm looking at. It doesn't say "the actual probability of a win is higher for downing your opponent at the 5 than kicking the FG and getting a touchback". That's still relying on your assumptions about how coaches coach, which is a reasonable argument but you didn't post anything to support it. What I'm saying is that, looking at that chart, the field position bit doesn't seem all that relevant.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Eagles/Colts draft order needed to be decided by coin flip, Philly won.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
gently caress yeah suck it Colts

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

whoaaaaaa what huge changes

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

evilweasel posted:

I did, that is the exact chart I'm looking at. It doesn't say "the actual probability of a win is higher for downing your opponent at the 5 than kicking the FG and getting a touchback". That's still relying on your assumptions about how coaches coach, which is a reasonable argument but you didn't post anything to support it. What I'm saying is that, looking at that chart, the field position bit doesn't seem all that relevant.

TheChirurgeon posted:

In the case I mentioned, we gotta take field position into things, though: Consider a start from the 5--according to the chart there, your odds of a FG are *theoretically* something like 5%, and your odds of a TD are something like 13%. So 5% of the time, you get that 50/50 shot at winning (2.5%) plus your chances of just getting a TD (13%), so 15.5% chance of winning. Or losing, if you're the team that punted instead of going up 6.

On the other hand, if you're up 6 and your opponent has the ball at the 25-yard line, about 18% of those drives end in a TD. Of those, something like 95% have successful extra points, and 5% end in OT, which leads to a 50/50 chance of winning. Crunch the numbers, and your odds of winning if you're the team that's down are 17.55%, or a 17.55% chance that you'll lose if you kick the Field Goal.

Admittedly, this doesn't consider every factor--obviously the time will be an issue, and whether your opponent fields the kick, etc. But the odds suggest that in 2-4 minute situations, you could in fact be better off being up 3 than up 6, and that's *before* you consider how it changes how opponents play!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

What would happen if theoretical 70 yard FG kicker was the kicker in this jackass video? Would Preston have died? I think we need Dr. Swickles to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt5Lzw-rFpg

Getting hit in the face loving sucks regardless how it happens. That said, that blow didn't look too bad. You want to look for the head snap, that results in both tension on the ligaments as well as the brain moving within the skull. If the kicker could priduce a motiom resulting in the head snapping back, then there is concern for injury. Otherwise, the damage is superficial, which isn't to say it doesn't hurt.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

The Big Jesus posted:

gently caress yeah suck it Colts

The Colts are use to failing on draft picks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Get your bird watching on

https://twitter.com/SBNationGIF/status/837710016345952256

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 3, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He eats just like my almost 100 year (in a couple weeks y'all!) old grandfather - with his front teeth

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Doesn't hold a candle to this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

w/t

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 3, 2017

• Locked thread