Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

What would happen if theoretical 70 yard FG kicker was the kicker in this jackass video? Would Preston have died? I think we need Dr. Swickles to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt5Lzw-rFpg

Getting hit in the face loving sucks regardless how it happens. That said, that blow didn't look too bad. You want to look for the head snap, that results in both tension on the ligaments as well as the brain moving within the skull. If the kicker could priduce a motiom resulting in the head snapping back, then there is concern for injury. Otherwise, the damage is superficial, which isn't to say it doesn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bemis posted:

At least he doesn't think he can take on a bear like some people.

I actually once asked Ron Magill whats the fiercest animal an average person would have like a 50/50 shot of taking down and he said a wolf, as long as you realize your arms are going to get tore up. Basically its pretty easy to just let it go for your arms, then grapple with it enough to get into a position to break its neck. Of course, one bite to your neck and you are down to but either side has a reasonable chance of living. So, he isn't far off.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Best hangover cure is a liter bolus of saline or LR, a shot of zofran for the stomach and a shot of tordol for the head. You could run a marathon after a night of drinking on that.

If you don't have access to that, pedialyte popsicles work well in a pinch. Try to avoid tylenol (you will nuke your liver, rare but fatal) and NSAIDS like aleve or ibuprofen (causes ulcers). If you have to take something for your head, take aspirin. Or just drink some gatorade and smoke a joint.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

I often wonder how many lives Tebow saved when he was assigned to keep Hernandez out of trouble in Gainesville

It's his first miracle required for Sainthood. Beating the Steelers was the second. St. Tebow will be a real thing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Gonz posted:

Dwight Clark just announced he has ALS. :(

Holy poo poo that sucks. Sad to say, but a high profile celebrity with an obscure disease helps bring in a ton of funding. So look forward to icebucket challenge part dos, and maybe this round puts them over the edge.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

Didn't he opt out of his contract?

If you saw Mike loving Glennon get 15 million wouldn't you?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kaep went 16/4 last year and had the highest drop rate from his receivers while playing with a complete dumpster fire of a team. If he went to a team like the Texans or even Rams where there is a good defense and some decent offensive weapons, he would probably be closer to his Super Bowl year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I always thought the part of the replay that takes the longest is spotting the ball and getting down and distance correct, regardless of the call. Like if its overturned, they have to look where they were at. The only kind of review this would speed up is catch/no-catch.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jagr is going to play until age 67 and will still be banging 22 year olds on the reg.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Tennis has historically been a young man's game. It used to be you would come on at 16, peak at 20, fall apart at 25 and be retired by 30. It's... changed a bit recently.

A lot of non contact sports like swimming/sprinting/gymnastics are skewed a lot younger than things like baseball, basketball or hockey.

A lot of those are pure athleticism and individual, so it makes sense that it skews younger. Team sports also require a mental component that experience can bolster significantly. Its why a rookie QB isn't as good as a veteran QB despite being physically more gifted.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Of course Bill Belichick wouldn't show up

He is the only one not in the Coaches Association, he's never been in one of those photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Don't the Patriots make a huge deal about refusing to sign people with domestic violence issues in their past?

• Locked thread