Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol we did that too though we didn't have a name for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"cyberbullying"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
asking cindy to the prom over AIM while subtly jacking off under the Family Computer desk

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Smythe posted:

subtly jacking off under the Family Computer desk

tfw you frantically try to close all windows and make yrself presentable when you hear Mom tromping down the hallway to investigate what you're doing up so late

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Roosevelt posted:

tfw you frantically try to close all windows and make yrself presentable when you hear Mom tromping down the hallway to investigate what you're doing up so late

too real

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

also isn't it now just "Aol." I think AOL! was the old version

yeah i messed it up

aol_headbang.gif

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

this doesnt happen if you wrap the modem in a towel

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Current channel topic for #pidgin

quote:

Scary AIM message? Hang tight new version soon!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so the aim integration with gtalk, instead of just giving us apis to call we had a binary lib that was probably a headless version of their own client. anyways, that pos and its wrapper crashed more than any other process in all google pod environment. more than any other google service anywhere lol.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

go play outside Skyler posted:

i made the icon for that

cool

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Bloody posted:

didnt know radium worked for aol. rude of them to kill him

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mishaq posted:

i havent thought about aim in over a decade

thanks for resurfacing high school feels yospos

asl?

msn messenger with a-patch to remove the ads / insert malware, and napster/limewire on some dogshit windows me box.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

yeah i messed it up

aol_headbang.gif

*rummages around in image folder*

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

msn messenger with a-patch to remove the ads / insert malware, and napster/limewire on some dogshit windows me box.
kazaa with the registry hack to max out your share rating so you can max out your dialup internet downloading from other people without having to upload yourself

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SO DEMANDING posted:

*rummages around in image folder*

:)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ahhh i found out what that spergy multi-protocol chat client i hosed around with was, miranda IM! apparently it's still actively developed, last release in january :psyduck:

i recall it was loved by goons and windows customization fetishists (you know, the sort who spent hours tweaking their samurize setup. or wasn't there a goon-made alternative to that?). i also recall it being bare-bones to the point of uselessness.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what does this mean for trillian

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

SO DEMANDING posted:

ahhh i found out what that spergy multi-protocol chat client i hosed around with was, miranda IM! apparently it's still actively developed, last release in january :psyduck:

i recall it was loved by goons and windows customization fetishists (you know, the sort who spent hours tweaking their samurize setup. or wasn't there a goon-made alternative to that?). i also recall it being bare-bones to the point of uselessness.

yeah it's open sauce. i had the same experience using it, super barebones out of the box but with tons of little tweaks. i probably just said "heh" and went back to trillian

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah it's open sauce. i had the same experience using it, super barebones out of the box but with tons of little tweaks. i probably just said "heh" and went back to trillian

same but i went back to digsby

lol remember digsby?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raluek posted:

same but i went back to digsby

lol remember digsby?
I was using Digsby up until a year ago when it started having major problems (taking like 5 minutes to connect, periodically freezing when chatting). shame cause I actually liked it a lot more than trillian.

I've installed Instantbird or something now, it kinda sucks but w/e all instant messaging is dying and aim will probably be dead before the next decade. I only have a couple friends who I still chat with on aim regularly now but we could just use google chat or something.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
solved problem. just use sms or facebook messenger

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wasn't digsby the one that stored your messenger service passwords on its servers, so you could log in to the service from anywhere

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

we talked all night then she put my screenname on her block list, then she clicked ok

i tried to read this to the tune of blink 182 - whats my age again

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Suspicious posted:

how is aol still in business

how

digital prophet david "shingy" shing

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

i basically didnt use any IM programs due to being an antisocial neurotic weirdo with brain problems

i was a very very strange nerd in middle/high school

same

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
snapchat and ig messages slowly replacing texts why why why

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

someone post shingy

i wonder what he would think of this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what the heck is adium

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fart simpson posted:

what the heck is adium

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Xaris posted:

I was using Digsby up until a year ago when it started having major problems (taking like 5 minutes to connect, periodically freezing when chatting). shame cause I actually liked it a lot more than trillian.

I've installed Instantbird or something now, it kinda sucks but w/e all instant messaging is dying and aim will probably be dead before the next decade. I only have a couple friends who I still chat with on aim regularly now but we could just use google chat or something.

yeah same, ish. i think i abandoned it around that time, for the same reason. their server went down so the machine would go unresponsive for minutes while it tried to connect to the server it KNEW had to be there, before using cached credentials. i havent found another one that didnt look all :pcgaming: or like a linux port, so i just gave up on aim :unsmith:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wasn't digsby the one that stored your messenger service passwords on its servers, so you could log in to the service from anywhere

yeah more or less. thats why it stopped working

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Triglav posted:

facebook messenger

looooolllllll

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
the perfect way to keep FWD FWD FWD out of your inbox

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

graph posted:

man in college seeing one of your hookups still online on AIM at 3am when u got home from the bar and them responding to 'u still up?'

epic feels

thus but when you got done with your project at 3am in the computer cluster and they responded to your Zephyr

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

also isn't it now just "Aol." I think AOL! was the old version

and before AOL it was AppleLink Personal Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i guess its just old third party stuff, hopefully trillian or something will update.

quote:

Our messaging to users with Pidgin/Adium/LibPurple (or Third party) at login was misleading.
We are sunsetting a large number of old clients (AIM and third party clients) and an older piece of the login infrastructure which is still been used. As part of this, Third party was asked to update their code with new identifiers (distID and devID) so we can disable the old Third party based clients.

Third party clients in general will not be disabled, only older Third party clients that cannot upgrade the authentication methods. We advise users to switch to AIM clients in this case.

• Locked thread