Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Baronash posted:

He's watching the Winter Olympics, which took place in February.
Oh. Well there ya go.

Anyway, came across this in an episode review. The EPA report on Area B: https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=0304606

quote:

Initially, Area B was established as a proving ground in the Army's Biological Warfare program. Later, Area B was used as a disposal area for chemical, biological, and radiological (CBR) material and until 1970 for biological experimentation.

Area B has been the primary location of waste management activities for Fort Detrick and is the location of an active municipal landfill, animal farm, former skeet range, former explosives storage area, and former waste disposal/test areas associated with former research activities. In the late 1940s, the Special Operations Group of Fort Detrick installed a test grid in Area B to test both live and simulant biological warfare (BW) materials. A list of the live agent materials used in Area B is not available, but it is known that simulant materials used included Bacillus globigii, Serratia marcescens, and Escherichia coli. Test animals were buried in trenches or pits located in Area B after autoclave sterilization. Many types of munitions were tested on the grid in Area B. A residential community is located within 100 feet of the Area B disposal areas.

Anthrax was buried in Area B. In addition, radiological tracer materials were reportedly buried at three locations in Area B, including radioactive carbon, sulfur, and phosphorous. Two cylinders marked "Phosgene" were also reportedly buried in Area B. Phosgene is considered a lethal chemical agent.

In 1970 and 1971, after the United States outlawed biological research for offensive operations, and a decontamination program was initiated for Fort Detrick. Decontamination procedures for residual biological/chemical research materials included autoclave steam sterilization and incineration. Incineration ash was tilled into soil in the northwestern corner of Area B (Pit 13). Research buildings and equipment were also decontaminated, and an extensive wipe sampling program was completed after decontamination. In addition, sewage drainage lines were cut and capped, and drainage systems were filled with hypochlorite solution where possible.

In June 2004, the Army performed a removal action at Area B-11, an Area B chemical disposal area. Removal activities included the removal of contaminated soil, chemical containers, compressed gas cylinders, and laboratory waste. The discovery of live pathogens in medical wastes at Area B-11 caused suspension of all intrusive work at the disposal area, and waste remains buried at Area B-11.

Promo for episode502 Pests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26MaOSr1bgQ

Edit: VVV Yep, although season 6 will only be 10 episodes instead of 13. Maybe longer episodes though.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is the penultimate season right? And no bullshit season splitting is planned?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is the penultimate season right? And no bullshit season splitting is planned?

Thirteen episodes this season, ten next year and that's it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baronash posted:

You like slow burns? We'll give you the slowest loving burn on cable television!
Episode two will be them filling the hole. It's Keynesian tv.

drunkill posted:

As shown at the start of the episode, basically nobody can get food in the USSR, they're in the middle of a famine. Even the KGB staff were 'joking' about it. Hell, Olegs father is (the minister?) in the Ministry of Railways and I doubt their dinner was lavish.

The CIA extracted him from Russia so I expect food shortages will be the big thing this season.
It shouldn't have been too bad in 84, certainly not for an important dude in Moscow.

I might have missed something, how do we know the CIA extracted them? And if they did, why, and also why aren't they keeping an eye on them?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drunkill posted:

As shown at the start of the episode, basically nobody can get food in the USSR, they're in the middle of a famine. Even the KGB staff were 'joking' about it. Hell, Olegs father is (the minister?) in the Ministry of Railways and I doubt their dinner was lavish.

The CIA extracted him from Russia so I expect food shortages will be the big thing this season.

Here are a few more shortage/queuing jokes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X9hPYGp1Bs

Also, I couldn't help but think of "Papers, Please" when the son was going through passport control.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 9, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Ironically the division Oleg ends up working for makes the food shortage problems even worse by banning the use of state property (e.g., vehicles) for farmers to take whatever surplus they had to market under an anti corruption decree.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

stan is such a chipper sad sack

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You know, with this show taking place in the Northern VA area, I'm surprised they've done the 'poison umbrella' thing, but didn't take advantage of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...n_Boris_Korczak

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Paige is stressed

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So, will Elizabeth be able to cap Paige if she becomes a problem?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Poor Stan. :(

I hope this isn't some sort of lame, setup season for the final season like S5 of Justified.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Kind of a weak start tbh. The "whoops im clumsy and got infected" thing felt like it shoulda come from some lovely zombie movie not The Americans. Also yeah 7 minutes watching people dig what was that about. They really needed to pad out their premier that badly?

Not sure whats up with the new guy theyre working on. Hes an advisor on agriculture to the US but seemed like a big nobody back home who could barely get food.

The timed, focused-on panting through the masks by Elizabeth and Philip was kind of forced, too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Liz with the embarassing mom question right in the middle of martial arts training

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yes Phillip, Stan is picking up on Paige's PTSD over watching her mother brutally murderize two dudes.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
drat, what a lovely way to handle a guy who helped you out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So, uh, we didn't gently caress with the Soviet's grain, right?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Who knew they had mountains in Illinois?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Cue "In the Air Tonight"

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

kittenmittons posted:

Who knew they had mountains in Illinois?

They do in the southern parts of Illinois.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think I saw this episode of the X-Files.

And there's the FX mandated bare rear end.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

"She's like a female version of you." :laffo:

Not sure that's how you describe a date to your best friend.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I hope Oleg doesn't think Stan did him dirty like that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Take this guy to Golden Corral.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

You can tell that Elizabeth wants to rip his throat out for daring to speak ill about :ussr:.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tuan is intense.

And Phillip and Elizabeth really need to buckle up.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ummmm... what is happening?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
This is the most awkward thing in a show rife with incredibly awkward situations

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Zero One posted:

Ummmm... what is happening?

The Birds and the Bees.

"Think about us whenever you're about to have sex."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Talk: Americans style is naturally the most hosed up thing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

This is the most awkward thing in a show rife with incredibly awkward situations

We got off light. I was really thinking FX was going to have her undergo a modified version of the sex training from like Season 2, only instead of Soviet employees, it'd be her parents she'd get to service.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

We got off light. I was really thinking FX was going to have her undergo a modified version of the sex training from like Season 2, only instead of Soviet employees, it'd be her parents she'd get to service.

I thought that too when that scene was happening thank god it took a diff turn

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I too thought it was going to be a lesson in the art of the blowjob or something at the end there. Phew.

I liked how at the restaurant the first thing you hear is someone sneezing and a kid coughing on the salad bar. Who needs Lassa virus?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"I've had enough of your attitude, Paige. Don't give me your poo poo. Eat me out. Then you're going to make out with me and orally pleasure your father. You have to learn all this to help The Cause. Practice on Matthew if it makes you feel better."

That would've been one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen on TV if they'd gone that route and that's a commentary on how far FX is willing to push it in spite of how good their shows are. :stonk:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Was that an entire episode of "Where's Matthew?". He didn't turn up once, right?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

That would've been one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen on TV if they'd gone that route and that's a commentary on how far FX is willing to push it in spite of how good their shows are. :stonk:

Jesus christ why the gently caress are you even thinking about this. The only thing your non-observation is a commentary on is your own mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mameluke posted:

Jesus christ why the gently caress are you even thinking about this. The only thing your non-observation is a commentary on is your own mind.

Seriously what's wrong with you people :gonk:

Poor Oleg :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

precision posted:

Seriously what's wrong with you people :gonk:

I blame the show for conditioning us to expect the most :stonklol: resolutions.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Was that an entire episode of "Where's Matthew?". He didn't turn up once, right?

He did, they had a conversation about the first time they met.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They could hit a real sentimental note in the finale if they show an adult Paige staring wistfully at something while rubbing her fingers together.

Mameluke posted:

Hmm, family-time is getting intense... must be incest.

The intensity made me anxious, too, but I thought it was going to be some weird depersonalizing meditative exercise. Or something off-putting about covers like, "You have to find it within yourself to make it real."

I didn't expect it to be some hokey rub your fingers together and think of your parents thing.

Edit: Makes me think of this show about Delta force where one of the operators was giving someone a crash course in maintaining cover. They had this fun little question-answer back-and-forth based around, "What's real is true. Cover is real. Cover is true. What is true?" "My name is [cover]."

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 15, 2017

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I didn't expect it to be some hokey rub your fingers together and think of your parents thing.

Yeah, that was honestly pretty strange and kind of dumb. It didn't jibe at all with Elizabeth's "I'm tired of treating her like a child" line. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting (though it definitely wasn't anything like what people were saying upthread, jfc), but I did kind of expect it to be sort of off-putting to the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I was thinking of starting this series. Is there action? Is it mostly people talking about relationships? Is there a clearly marked best season and worst season?

• Locked thread