Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

pik_d posted:

How many times did it vote for Biden?

Well, if something that didn't vote for biden is, by definition, not black then something that is the blackest black to ever black must have voted for him.

Now, voter fraud isn't really a thing, so I'd have to assume that this single instance of blackest black ever to black only voted once, as its its constitutional right.

Still, I would assume that it cast the votiest vote to ever vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sound on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ia376QKMHM

This dude scubas like I work on cars. GODDAMN, NOT AGAIN!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm not a fan of this dude or hot ones but someone told me about steve austin not really reacting to the super hot poo poo and it was indeed fun to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCXfezz4BB8

That’s a decent showing, but he’s no Rachel Ray.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Sorry actor guy, but I'm laughing.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Phy posted:

Sound on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ia376QKMHM

This dude scubas like I work on cars. GODDAMN, NOT AGAIN!

Good, gently caress that guy. Spear fishing on scuba is cheating :colbert:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Good, gently caress that guy. Spear fishing on scuba is cheating :colbert:

It does explain why the sea is salty with guys like that in there.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XKCmgMt.gifv

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Cops are gonna be all over this.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The problem with the ultra black reporting is that they ignore the part of the research that deals with the question of how much more black it could be.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

VictualSquid posted:

The problem with the ultra black reporting is that they ignore the part of the research that deals with the question of how much more black it could be.

There's a science guy on youtube that makes at home nano-tubes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr1AiExSAnU
he points out that in vanta-black videos they never show a bright light being shined directly on the material, because guess what...it's not that dark:

He found out that black velvet is darker than vanta-black. Turns out it's just marketing.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 15:13 on May 28, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

VictualSquid posted:

This was answered decades ago, the answer is none.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a science guy on youtube that makes at home nano-tubes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr1AiExSAnU
he points out that in vanta-black videos they never show a bright light being shined directly on the material, because guess what...it's not that dark:

He found out that black velvet is darker than vanta-black. Turns out it's just marketing.

That’s not what he says. Vanta Black is still 4 times as black as black velvet. But the point is that these differences in blackness only make a perceivable difference when you shine a bright light on them at close range.
Vanta Black and other materials like it find a practical application in art, where it is used like a paint. In that setting, ideally, you have control of the light. And when that is the case, it doesn’t really matter if it is as dark as black velvet or a 100 times as dark. It just becomes a technical detail, not observable by the human eye.

Vanta Black (tm) is definitely a hype-thing linked to hype-human garbage Anish Kapoor. But the ability to use a really dark paint is amazing.
The company I work for does interior construction for museums, and last year we built an exhibition on Pieter de Hoogh. We made floating walls inside a 15th century buiding, which were painted in industry quality dark blue paint. Good paint, but nothing that MIT made. With good lighting these walls became amazing deep blue voids in which the paintings appeared to be floating.

Are there any technical or scientific uses/needs for materials that are incredibly black?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Such Fun posted:

Are there any technical or scientific uses/needs for materials that are incredibly black?

The interior of a camera lens body is black to prevent internal reflections from loving up the picture. I suppose ultra black pain could be useful there.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Telescopes?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Painting a large asteroid you shoot towards a distant exoplanet you picked up signals from...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Painting a large asteroid you shoot towards a distant exoplanet you picked up signals from...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Such Fun posted:

That’s not what he says. Vanta Black is still 4 times as black as black velvet. But the point is that these differences in blackness only make a perceivable difference when you shine a bright light on them at close range.
Vanta Black and other materials like it find a practical application in art, where it is used like a paint. In that setting, ideally, you have control of the light. And when that is the case, it doesn’t really matter if it is as dark as black velvet or a 100 times as dark. It just becomes a technical detail, not observable by the human eye.

Vanta Black (tm) is definitely a hype-thing linked to hype-human garbage Anish Kapoor. But the ability to use a really dark paint is amazing.
The company I work for does interior construction for museums, and last year we built an exhibition on Pieter de Hoogh. We made floating walls inside a 15th century buiding, which were painted in industry quality dark blue paint. Good paint, but nothing that MIT made. With good lighting these walls became amazing deep blue voids in which the paintings appeared to be floating.

At the end of the vid he states that while he does not have a perfect sample, his nanotubes and the one donated by a material scientist are 5 percent reflective, where the velvet is 4 percent. Not sure what actual vanta-black is, but I suspect not much darker. The applications are most likely in monitors or for absorbing lasers...When vanta black came out I wanted to see videos of it in real world settings but it all seemed pretty staged to make it look like object's details and contours become invisible...I really don't think they would be in person. Anyway, I have no evidence I guess...still this guy's video was fun to watch.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’d like to know more

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I suppose ultra black pain could be useful there.

I use ultra black pain every day :smith:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

That's dumb, because obviously it can judging by the damage it does to ships.

It can't do it at superluminal speeds, though.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Such Fun posted:

Dashboard, so it doesn't reflect onto the windscreen in bright sunlight or streetlights.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

"It's a fraud"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Such Fun posted:

Thanks to this thread I remembered black velvet existed which is exactly what I need to create a pedestal to hold objects for photographing objects for photogrammetry.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

theflyingorc posted:

"It's a fraud"

:gowron:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Such Fun posted:

Pretty much any situation you can think of where you don't want poo poo reflect light.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/QqBzybp.png:nws:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Dashboard, so it doesn't reflect onto the windscreen in bright sunlight or streetlights.

Now your dashboard is hot enough to cook lunch on as well!

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 18:04 on May 28, 2020

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

OwlFancier posted:

This seems more like a design flaw to me, I only say that because my Tacoma has zero issues with dashboard reflection but my fiesta is horrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yeah you can achieve it with other materials and that's usually why you get the trim in some sort of dark colour and textured surface, but something that looks good and is durable and washable would be a desirable material for that sort of application.

Though I'm sure they'd still put horrible craqelure effect plastic on at least half the cars because gently caress you basic driveability is a premium feature.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

by cob

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

martian stealth plating would be better.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

cornhole on the cob

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

She's all I want but she says it's haram

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Country girls don't have to make do no more

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Sorry actor guy, but I'm laughing.

Poor Jack Noseworthy, he never really got a big break and has mostly done side roles.

The bugs have to have some kind of way of interstellar travel considering they're on multiple planets.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

chitoryu12 posted:

Nah, a lot of people somehow think all those videos are fake. I posted a clip from it before and got a bunch of people saying there's no way it's real.

Like, why would you fake something like that? Make a bunch of bottles of fake hot sauce just so celebrities can pretend they're eating hot wings in an interview? That's more effort than just getting hot sauce.

Having had both Da Bomb and The Last Dab, they're very real and I can fully believe some of the reactions. Also Da Bomb is far worse than The Last Dab.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Da Bomb is apparently bad. Like it's not the hottest thing in that line-up but it's the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Da bomb is incredibly bad. I had about three or four drops on a pasta salad k de. Worst. Decision. Ever.