Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

that's a pro move right there

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I think it's really only people that are like fully matrilineal Italian, and even then I think a lot of people, especially in the suburbs and whatnot, just call it sauce to avoid the confusion.

It’s a bunch of uneducated Americans trying to gate keep their fake heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/WrongJill/status/1262479693858648069

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ruddiger posted:

It’s a bunch of uneducated Americans trying to gate keep their fake heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

The way they pronounce manicotti on that show always makes my skin crawl.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If someone showed me 100% definitive proof that this never happened I wouldn't care, it's still great.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

The way they pronounce manicotti on that show always makes my skin crawl.

For context: born in Germany, as an American, learning both languages. Dropped German outside of the home at about six years old, when we moved to America for good.

On the other hand, hearing Mennonites in America speak German is a trip. It started out with me as kind of background noise, like hearing anyone else around me speak English while not actually listening to what they're saying. I didn't even notice much until someone ran into me with a buggy and reflexively said, "Sorry, my fault!", in a very weird accent. Which lead to me reflexively saying, "No problem!", in German. The woman and I just kind of looked at each other and kept doing what we were doing. I like to imagine we had the same thought, "Did you just speak my language. Nah. Maybe. What?"

When we moved to Iowa, my family used to go out to the Amana Colonies to have dinner about once a month. That was fun, like eating at Oma's with twenty other people. Dad's from a very rural area, and the Amana Germans are, too. My dad had people to talk to and we all had to juggle between High German, Amana German, and English. Super friendly people, always willing to try and be kind. Beware, they will feed you until the bursting point.

Funny pic tax:

Some alcoholic who works at a bar in New Port Richey, Florida has a sense of humor.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
PA Dutch/Mennonite German barely sounds like German

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Who What Now posted:

They're purposefully training you wrong, as a joke.

Did that to my college roommate. I kept pronouncing it "Yar-ma-lukes" around him. One day he's talking to this hot friend of ours and asks her if the people going to her seder had to wear "yar-ma-lukes" and she dead eyed him and said "It's yarmulke..."

He was so pissed, and I laughed and laughed. I think the payoff was two years after I started.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Cocaine Bear posted:

Why would you need a warning that you're about the be able to go? Sounds dumb as hell.

I always thought it was so if you just turned onto the street before the crossing or something, you can tell which way the light is changing at a glance; red and amber means it's about to go green, amber on its own it's about to go red.

Still pretty marginally useful information.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

OwlFancier posted:

The general rule is that pudding is something you boil or bake in a container, sometimes the container is also edible.

That at least gives you the throughline between black pudding, steak and kidney pudding, christmas pudding, and pease pudding. I'm not sure exactly how you get to the modern idea of a sweet pudding being just "anything you eat for dessert"

bastardising the language and then acting like we're the fools is their favourite game.
do not play it with them, it will only lead you unto madness

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OwlFancier posted:

The light sequence goes green > amber > red, then red > red and amber > green.

In the UK, which is where their voices are from, and where people drive on the left.

The video is Australian, you can tell it's not from the UK by how they are expressing emotions.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Memento posted:

The video is Australian, you can tell it's not from the UK by how they are expressing emotions.

But they weren't being really racist so people might miss that they're Aussie. Like they may think they're from New Zealand or something.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

The Lotus Eater

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:troll:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

eh it's white bordered, that's only 13k.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Scratch Monkey posted:

PA Dutch/Mennonite German barely sounds like German

Buddy, German barely sounds like German depending on where you are in any German speaking area fwiw.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hellyeah:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

The general rule is that pudding is something you boil or bake in a container, sometimes the container is also edible.

That at least gives you the throughline between black pudding, steak and kidney pudding, christmas pudding, and pease pudding. I'm not sure exactly how you get to the modern idea of a sweet pudding being just "anything you eat for dessert"

I think Sandi talked about this on an episode of Bake Off, before they made the bakers do some kind of boiled pudding technical challenge. I don't remember what it was, though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

dialhforhero posted:

Buddy, German barely sounds like German depending on where you are in any German speaking area fwiw.

German has a lot of loving variety. When some people from near Stuttgart really get into it, I (born near Magdeburg) won't understand more than a couple of words at most. That's only ~500 miles distance.
Same with Plattdeutsch. Don't even start with Swiss and Austrian German.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bobby Digital has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Apr 15, 2021

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

:captainpop: Nice art effect

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

:piss:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

:drat:

That is amazing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is this what they mean by metagaming?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:five:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The Leguan that was a croissant. A lady basically called the police because she thought she saw a huge lizard. Turns out it was a small pastry. What is it with croissants and getting misidentified as animals.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Son of Rodney posted:

The Leguan that was a croissant. A lady basically called the police because she thought she saw a huge lizard. Turns out it was a small pastry. What is it with croissants and getting misidentified as animals.

Shrimp, lizard, what's next, some kind of bird?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

that's a lol.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Perfection

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/Bhaal_Spawn/status/1382657457466396677?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is it really a vintage 90s army if the rim isn’t painted the brightest green known to man