Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

I don't like baseball bc I was forced to play it. The only position I enjoyed was catching bc it constantly gave my adhd brain something to do. Batting was fun, too.

The problem was, I was actually much better at baseball than the sport I actually enjoyed, basketball. Or so I was told.

:negative:

Explain your av then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

MizPiz posted:

And also gay

TOLD YA!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

i was only ever good at decathlon

is that like sucking ten dicks at the same time

bc if so, same

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MizPiz posted:

TOLD YA!

its not gay to kiss your son

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Every sports parent is like that comic where the nerd dad tries to aggressively force his hobbies on to a literal baby while shouting be me. I was also one of those kids put into little league without anyone bothering to tell me the rules. It was the first of many events where my parents got mad at me for not knowing how to do things they were taught by their parents.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fried Watermelon posted:

its not gay to kiss your son

With or without tongue?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

blaseball is the only good sport.

we are all love blaseball.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhvmCgs_L4

About 1:50 in.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Johnny Aztec posted:

With or without tongue?

AV post combo

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Being a sports parent sucks too. One of my coworkers spends almost every night and every weekend in baseball season occupied with his kids baseball stuff. School team, club team, road games, blah blah blah.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When we were in Ireland my wife and I went to a hurling game. Admission was free and it was a huge packed stadium. None of the players are compensated, they just play for the glory of their town.

That, to me, is the platonic ideal of sports.

Also the gameplay is the most hardcore, borderline impossible thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE
It's a little loud.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://youtu.be/phOjmGxK5EQ

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had the same experience, and I think it's not uncommon. People don't even try to give you an getting-on point or explain the rules to you at all, they just tell you the most vague and obligatory instruction and spend the entire game ignoring you or getting mad at you for things you don't know and they can't be arsed to tell you. Apparently you're supposed to pick them up from osmosis. I didn't learn the rules of any sport we played in school until I looked them up on the internet years later.

Lol. I thought this was just me but I think you're probably right. I don't think I'm physically incapable in general (or wasn't when I was younger, definitely) but I tried a few sports because I felt culturally obliged to? And I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing most of the time. So I just kind of tried to bluff my way through it, as a teenage boy will.

As though there was something inherently wrong with me for not just knowing all of this stuff, and yes: I can't remember one good coach I had across baseball, wrestling, or football, it was always some middle-aged man who never explained anything, just made you run laps or yelled at you when you weren't doing whatever it was you were supposed to be doing. (Oh, now that I think about this I did have a pretty great fencing coach in college, which is probably it's own derail. Can't remember the guys name but he was cool as hell.)

The Breakfast Sampler has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Aug 8, 2020

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sports are fine, people can like and engage in whatever activities they like so long as it's not hurting others. Once you start debating the relative worth of one activity over another it gets bad, and once you go from "I enjoy tortoise polo" to "being a tortoise polo fan is my identity" you get bad. With both you get ideas like "eel chucking isn't a real sport, us tortoise jockeys are better that those filthy eel chuckers" or "those Jet Whale Chronicles players are a bunch of filthy casuals, you're not a real gamer unless you play Ultra Murdercats 2 with a Crazr 1337 DPI pseudomouse" and similar pointless gatekeeping and rivalry.

In conclusion, sports aren't my jam but I'm glad they bring others joy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I would like a link to Ultra Murdercats 2.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Sports fans are often the worst type of nerd but unlike with most nerd things society enables them, thus they lack the typical self loathing that keeps nerds in check.

Your weird obsessive hobby stops being that when society at large says okay to be weird and obsessive about it. Also as a burly dude I hate it when people assume I give two shits about sports, I workout because I like the D thank you very much.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LeafyOrb posted:

I workout because I like the D thank you very much.

The most pure and good reason to lift a weight

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Perl Horber was a good man. gently caress Alimo and his two timing ways.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Beachcomber posted:

When we were in Ireland my wife and I went to a hurling game. Admission was free and it was a huge packed stadium. None of the players are compensated, they just play for the glory of their town.

That, to me, is the platonic ideal of sports.

Also the gameplay is the most hardcore, borderline impossible thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE
It's a little loud.

Hurling is absolutely insane, I'm amazed more people don't get concussed, considering how fast it is and how hard they swing the hurls. Even the ball is vicious to get hit with - it's hard leather with a thick upstanding seam all around it. I've heard it said that if you don't start playing as a kid you'll never be any good at all at hurling, the range of skills is just too complicated.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I say hurl. If you blow chunks and she comes back, she's yours. If you spew and she bolts, then it was never meant to be.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can get behind this recreational activity

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Goober Peas posted:

I can get behind this recreational activity

You're keen on underage incest?

...have you considered applying for Modship?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Samovar posted:

You're keen on underage incest?

...have you considered applying for Modship?

Wait...they're underage? :ohdear:

serious chat - I thought it was these guys

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You're a bunch of fat dorks, we get it. Other people are allowed to enjoy things you don't. Also, shut up.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

You're a bunch of fat dorks, we get it. Other people are allowed to enjoy things you don't. Also, shut up.

Yes; for example, we're allowed to enjoy this sports derail.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cocaine Bear posted:

How is being fat related to one's enjoyment of underage incest exactly?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Paladinus posted:

How is being fat related to one's enjoyment of underage incest exactly?

Forget it Paladinus, it's Cocaine Bear

funny pictures

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Moon Slayer posted:

Yes; for example, we're allowed to enjoy this sports derail.

Fair enough.

I'll say it again, if you nerds want to fit in more just learn analytics. You can sperg out over sports, get your math and excel and chart kick and learn enough player names along the way to be able to hold up casual conversation with your rear end in a top hat jock coworkers. Just look at this glorious advanced stats chart from Micah Blake McCurdy! :

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Aug 8, 2020

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Cocaine Bear posted:

Fair enough.

I'll say it again, if you nerds want to fit in more just learn analytics. You can sperg out over sports, get your math and excel and chart kick and learn enough player names along the way to be able to hold up casual conversation with your rear end in a top hat jock coworkers. Just look at this glorious advanced stats chart from Micah Blake McCurdy! :

lol

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Goober Peas posted:

Wait...they're underage? :ohdear:

serious chat - I thought it was these guys

The man on the table is noted cheating quarterback Tom Brady open mouth kissing his son while he was getting a massage. There’s video. It’s also the son from his first marriage who gets knockoff jerseys, while the other kids from his current one get real merchandise. For more information, see the official thread.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

xtal posted:

Sports are homophobic

Simultaneously they are also very homo-erotic.

Like, whenever people question how weird it is that I am both a big Eurovision fan and a big fan of the FIFA/UEFA Championships, I tell them that both events are very similar to some extent: the outsized nationalism, the kitsch, the drama, the mass spectacle and yes, the homo-eroticism.

In terms of money wasting/peak performance however, F1 takes the cake. These are likely the most well-rounded athletes to exist even if their overall condition only accounts for like 1% of their success, all the rest is due to their teams and their cars, both of which are an absurd waste of money. It's also why I like F1 because if you're going to do something gaudy and wasteful, best to go balls to the wall with it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Watch Formula E instead because it has BOOST ZONES and the cars sound like spacecraft

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

loss is getting more abstract every day

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Watch Formula E instead because it has BOOST ZONES and the cars sound like spacecraft

Cars? You mean marbles, right?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Hihohe posted:

Mario golf is fun tho

juustoleipä (aka bread cheese) rules. so good. i'm a big fan of cheese that you can grill or fry. can't find any fuckin halloumi around here, sucks.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Make it yourself, it's the easiest cheese in the world to make and you probably already have everything you need in your kitchen.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Paladinus posted:

Cars? You mean marbles, right?

It's a goddamn miserable showing from Nissan this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Make it yourself, it's the easiest cheese in the world to make and you probably already have everything you need in your kitchen.

Well, halloumi specifically is usually rennet-curdled, but other fresh acid-set cheeses like paneer are super easy to make and fry up deliciously. Halloumi, though, is awesome. Sorry you can't find it where you are, uber_stoat.