Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I've posted it before but I am from the same mountain hollers as Dolly and have dozens of family ties to Dollywood and all the stories are true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I've posted it before but I am from the same mountain hollers as Dolly and have dozens of family ties to Dollywood and all the stories are true

Just the fact that she is super southern but also cool with LGBTQ+ folks was a shock. She's a remarkably good person and I have no idea how we managed to keep her around in this, the worst timeline.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lobok posted:

Half expecting to find out she's secretly an incredible accountant as well but just doesn't always have the time.
She sits down to compare audits but instead writes a song or two.

Accounts Payable of the Heart

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Aleph Null posted:

Just the fact that she is super southern but also cool with LGBTQ+ folks was a shock. She's a remarkably good person and I have no idea how we managed to keep her around in this, the worst timeline.

Always funny to find out that there are actual theses written about her. https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2645&context=etd

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

She sits down to compare audits but instead writes a song or two.

Accounts Payable of the Heart

The Pain of Auditing You

I Will Always Love You (for tax reasons)

Islands in the (revenue) Stream

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/conkface/status/1293679809059577862?s=20

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I want to be seduced by Dolly Parton.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Biplane posted:

I want to be seduced by Dolly Parton.

Has she not already seduced all of us?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Is Dolly Parton not already in the Pantheon with Fred Rogers and Bob Ross (and may also include Levar Burton and/or Tom Hanks)?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Is Dolly Parton not already in the Pantheon with Fred Rogers and Bob Ross (and may also include Levar Burton and/or Tom Hanks)?

It is possible. I can't believe she's been married to the same dude since forever:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Apparently on an episode of the "Dolly Parton's America" podcast they gave her their academic, homoerotic take on Jolene and she said "You're overthinking it".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PYF Dolly Parton Facts & Anecdotes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Biplane posted:

PYF Dolly Parton Facts & Anecdotes

Please, yes!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

LifeSunDeath posted:

It is possible. I can't believe she's been married to the same dude since forever:

I love this. There's few things better than celebs who have normal, boring, non-famous rear end in a top hat spouses and they've just been in a happy quiet relationship forever. This should go in the Blessed Thread.

Feel bad for interrupting Parton chat with this:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

"bees on wheat, balls on toast" rattles through my head every time I see Bees on Wheat posting

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Promoters kept Dolly Parton away from country music at first, not thinking her voice was suited for it. Among those early singles is 1959's Puppy Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RxCSp5pqAE

Many Parton siblings got involved in music, including much younger sister, Freida. It's not country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5GkuJuBPZc

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Phy posted:

"bees on wheat, balls on toast" rattles through my head every time I see Bees on Wheat posting

Jesus Christ now it's happening to me too.

Very strong "four legs good two legs bad" sort of tune

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

I love this. There's few things better than celebs who have normal, boring, non-famous rear end in a top hat spouses and they've just been in a happy quiet relationship forever. This should go in the Blessed Thread.

you see what happens when 16 year-old drink

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
This is a pretty good take on her relationship with Porter Wagner, summed up in 6 minutes by a drunk dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK40qogSdFI

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've lain awake nights trying to lull myself to sleep thinking of what a "helicoptor pie" might be

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

This is a pretty good take on her relationship with Porter Wagner, summed up in 6 minutes by a drunk dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK40qogSdFI

Here's some content, this picture is funny but also look at that package lol.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

jojoinnit posted:

They got married in 1966 and did it again in 2016 because they were having so much fun. He ran an asphalting company until he retired and he only goes to see her play at State Fairs cause he gets to check out tractors. He sometimes writes her poems.

Just wanted to share my favourite Dolly quote.

quote:

I patterned my look after the town tramp. I thought she was the prettiest thing in the world, with all that bleached hair and bright-red lipstick. People would say, ‘Oh, she’s just trash,’ and I’d think, ‘That’s what I want to be when I grow up.'

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

jojoinnit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBgk5umQqNw

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Had to post this:

Taken on our anniversary trip to Conneaut Lake, PA, back in 2012, which was the most horrifying weekend I think I've spent anywhere. In early October, the place is like the set of a Stephen King movie. We were promised the "honeymoon suite". It was in the basement.

(oh, and I got drunk on way too much Jagermeister and beer at the only depressing open bar, and literally fell through a boardwalk. I'm happy I didn't die.)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Gang Drinks Piss Water

Coffee_Break
Apr 30, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Many Parton siblings got involved in music, including much younger sister, Freida. It's not country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5GkuJuBPZc

Suggested with this was sibling 'Randy'.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViQ0s2SQdkg
Why am I getting 'Jame Gum' Silence of the Lambs vibes from this dude? The era, style, clothes, body movement? Yikes.
"I'd gently caress me" :P

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1293994243409752064

Should go in the blessed thread but since we're talking about Dolly here it belongs.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I reposted some stuff in the blessed thread

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

jojoinnit posted:

I can't decide if I'm Cheese Monster or Egg and Beer Queer.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Had to post this:

Taken on our anniversary trip to Conneaut Lake, PA, back in 2012, which was the most horrifying weekend I think I've spent anywhere. In early October, the place is like the set of a Stephen King movie. We were promised the "honeymoon suite". It was in the basement.

(oh, and I got drunk on way too much Jagermeister and beer at the only depressing open bar, and literally fell through a boardwalk. I'm happy I didn't die.)

Not even Stephen King, it was shot for Cormac McCarthy’s The Road

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

LifeSunDeath posted:

I reposted some stuff in the blessed thread

And it was, indeed, a blessed act.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It rules that the years-long urban legend of Dolly being covered in tattoos (hence consistently wearing sleeves for decades) was more or less confirmed a few years back

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

It rules that the years-long urban legend of Dolly being covered in tattoos (hence consistently wearing sleeves for decades) was more or less confirmed a few years back

takes off her shirt and has like yakuza full back tats.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
imagine going out drinking with Dolly and she says to you "hey, wanna check out my tatts?"

quote:

Actors Roseanne Barr and Jennifer Saunders claim to have gotten a look at the ink at a Los Angeles restaurant called Morton's, when, after lots of conversation and wine, Parton offered to show them off.

"It was 9:30 in the evening, which meant that the restaurant was empty, because that's what happens in LA: Everyone goes home; no one stays out drinking late," Saunders recalled. "And so the restaurant was empty and she just opened her jacket and showed us, can I say, the most beautiful tattoos."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dolly Parton is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

uber_stoat posted:

imagine going out drinking with Dolly and she says to you "hey, wanna check out my tatts?"

Wait people don't drink late in LA? What the gently caress is the point of living in the city

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait people don't drink late in LA? What the gently caress is the point of living in the city

Nobody lives "in" LA

They live 400 miles away and commute in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Milo and POTUS posted:

9:30 isn’t late, it’s early