Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You guys know there’s a difference between black face and playing a character that is black in color, right?

Like, painting your face to be a black person is bad and black face.

Painting your face to be a shadow, or dark link or whatever that’s called, not bad.

You aren’t painting your face to pretend to be an African American.

And what's great is that it's immediately obvious to everyone around you that there's a difference between the two, even if they don't know the character you're playing, so black people who see your poorly applied shoe polish Link costume don't have to be reminded of the systemic oppression.

...right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Screaming Idiot posted:

For tonight's show, the role of "Guy Goodbody" will be played by Griffin McElroy of "Monster Factory" fame.

Can't be, not nearly enough use of "boy" in that description.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

said Data Graham, referencing the musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, which had a long run on Broadway before being adapted into a feature film adaptation starring Johnny Depp in 2007.

Try the priest.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
rear end

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Dienes posted:

The little black flecks are distracting. He had to deliberately put them there....but, why?

It's "texture" to disguise the fact that he only put five minutes of effort and a couple gradient fills into drawing the location. A LOT of cartoonists find backgrounds boring, and want to focus only on drawing characters. The lazy ones never bother trying to hide it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Guy Goodbody posted:

He's been doing that comic for 25 years, and like 90% of the panels are just those two dudes sitting on a couch. Why doesn't he have a stock of backgrounds he can use?

It would only take an afternoon making the vague "room" they're always in in Sketchup to have a 3D model to trace from whatever angle, and then finding a bunch of pictures of couches on google. Instead, he chose to find the actual least amount of effort he could put into his job and not lose money.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Imagined posted:

The worst are the artists who do it. They're like the scabs of professional creativity. If absolutely nobody and I mean nobody whored their talent out for free the assholes of the world would have to pay.

I have an amazing artist friend who does this poo poo to herself, unprompted. She'll spend a month making some amazing leather purse or something and then you'll ask her what she'd sell it for and she'll quote about the price of the materials. Like her time and skill have no value. I keep telling her to let me be her art pimp. I have no problem demanding money.

A lot of artists internalize the idea that creativity has no value. I do it myself, and always feel really awkward whoring prices for commissions. People tell you your whole life that pursuing the arts is dumb and worthless, either joking or not, and then it's hard to value your own work.

That and thinking you have to "pay your dues" and "get exposure" in order to be successful. So people will work themselves into the ground for no money, and a lot burn out and abandon their art when it turns out working for free for years gets you nowhere.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Guy Goodbody posted:

jpeg isn't an acronym.

https://techterms.com/definition/jpeg

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did you seriously just post a techterms.com link as evidence of anything?

I mean, I can give you the wikipedia and Cambridge dictionary pages, too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/jpeg

It's an initialism, dude.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

RFC2324 posted:

idgi. some kind of obscure racism i assume?

Implying that the woman is a racist redneck who hates Muslim people.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

punchymcpunch posted:

whats a moh eye?

Nothin. What's a moh eye with you?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Baron von Eevl posted:

The better ones revolve around the sport 'skeleton.' Skeleton Till I Die! Live without skeleton? I don't think so! I love my skeleton dad!

I automatically heard all of this in Griffin McElroy's voice.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Rick and Morty fans are all the people who yell about Big Bang Theory being "nerd black face" on reddit.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think the Big Bang Theory getting that far is riding half on people not liking the show, half on family/friends who talk about the show a lot/always have it on. It's not the kind of fandom that makes a toxic hole for itself on the internet that makes it really visible. It's more like your coworkers who still talk about The Office and Friends constantly, and how they "started another rewatch of the whole series again last weekend."

Or maybe I'm projecting.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

New Leaf posted:

Not to derail this even further, but Hardwick was found innocent by both the networks he represents, so calling him a rapist just because you choose to believe one side over another a bit extreme..

You mean to say a law firm that represents Hardwick's in-laws was asked to investigate, they asked Chloe Dykstra to participate, she declined because she said it wasn't her intention to ruin his career, and they decided that was case closed...

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

The General posted:

If you're not going to follow it up, why say anything at all? I don't understand "Not to ruin any lives or anything, but Person X is a rapist and abuser. Please don't ask me about it, and please enjoy your day!"

Closure? Catharsis? Because she wanted someone, anyone to know what happened, and maybe help people in similar situations know they're not alone, but then not have to go through another few months or possible years of civil court litigation reliving it and being called a lying whore by the public?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Holy poo poo, I thought this:

Calaveron posted:

A fat guy dressed in golden lamé

was a joke.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, it's the new parroted line that came up after, I think, the Vegas shooting. Every chud in comments sections online now yells about how it's people on the left who commit almost all violent crime in the country, usually with compressed jpgs as "proof" of the most recent mass shooters being Hillary supporters or whatever.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

burial posted:

I think I liked his original costume better. The external web shooters were awesome.

Also what is this poo poo about talking to spiders?

That's a different Scarlet Spider. That's Kaine, who was originally an evil clone, then become a reluctant hero. Ben Reilly, the original Scarlet Spider, was a good clone they made evil a couple years ago. Not sure if he's been reformed yet.

Comic dumb.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

modern fuckchair

Never has a name change request post been more sincere.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Hirayuki posted:

something something :pisstape:

PeeU?

Is that anything?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
There's a lot of people that absolutely should get training on how to be aware of spies that don't, mostly civilian contractors for the government. These are people that have to be told that no, they can't go out to lunch and openly discuss classified work in a city known to have multiple companies with high level military contracts. They think spies only exist in movies and all carry pens that turn into guns, when really they're just randos paid by foreign governments to sit around places important people are likely to be.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Arborophile

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
"The origin of this meme might be related to a racist accent."

*2 pages later*

An honest to god meltdown about not getting to say the n-word.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

More like oldpainless

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
That's Greg Land art, so likely it was traced from a hand holding a dick.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
People have been trying to make iGen a thing for Gen Z, but it hasn't taken. Probably because they're Boomers who don't realize putting "i" in front of everything was passe 8 years ago.

Also, naming generations is literally just a book selling tool. The first person to think of a name that sticks and use it to describe exactly the ways the youth will ruin society is the one who gets to write all the New York Times bestsellers that will set all the dumb stereotypes for that generation.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The punchline of that IT Crowd episode was that Linehan wanted to make a man beating up a woman funny. Like, that's literally how he described it. He made her trans because he didn't see her as a woman and didn't think anyone else would either, so it would be okay to see her getting hit by a man.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
There's a gray area with bad people and making fun of their looks, it seems. If it's really obvious they're sensitive and have a huge vanity issue, their looks are an easy target. But a lot of folks seem to really lay into it, like they're finally glad they get to use all these super good short/fat/ugly/bald/etc burns and not get called out for it. When you make a thousand "Ben Shapiro is short" jokes and you're no longer engaging with the fact that he's also a Nazi, it's obvious you really just want to be making fun of short people.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Biplane posted:

Actually it seems obvious you want to make fun of Ben Shapiro.

For being short. Which seems entirely separate from him being a white supremacist, but people have their own priorities, I guess.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Except when he never sees most of those jokes, such as on a dead comedy forum he never goes to, or twitter threads he's not even tagged in. Yet a ton of people do it, and the same for other bad people. Not because they know it's "really gonna bother" the bad person, but because they want to make a short/fat/whatever joke. Just saying, context matters for how you're making these jokes and who you're making them to.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, sit down,be quiet, never say anything lest you offend or upset someone.

If you can't think of insults that don't involve how fat someone is or the fact that they were raised Lutheran or whatever, then maybe just shut up, yeah.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Zzulu posted:

Boobs are not sexist, you mongrel buffoon

Writing women characters like they're only vehicles to deliver boobs to the reader is sexist, which is what is being discussed.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Besesoth posted:

There are 139 movies currently scheduled for theatrical release in 2019 (including those already released in Jan/Feb). Of those, nine (9) are remakes, and I'm including as many films as I can justify in that number (for example, I don't know what the animated Addams Family movie will be about, but I'm counting it as a remake). 21 are sequels or part of a shared cinematic universe. Of the rest, 14, as far as I can tell, are based on existing properties.

So 44 out of 139 movies being released this year, or ~31.7%, are either remakes, sequels, or adaptations.95, or ~68.3%, are none of those.

Clearly "the industry as a whole has decided that creativity is dead and focused exclusively on plucking the nostalgia strings".

Yeah, what's funny about those complaints of originality is that they're always focused on big blockbusters. So either they don't really pay attention to movies coming out and only notice the big franchise movies because they have a fuckton of ads, or they just really want more original popcorn schlock.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
No one ever said the word weeaboo itself is bad, just people that yell it about anything that seems vaguely related to an Asian country, writing off entire countries and cultures as things only white losers care about.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Reading the book is kind of sad, as Sestero outlines how he managed to alienate an actually big time agent who signed him through an innocent mistake, which made him desperate enough to hitch himself to Wiseau. Not to say he would have had a big career, or how true the book is, but he probably would have done okay as a bit player and model for a few years instead of having to do conventions as "the guy from that movie. No not that guy, the other one."

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Railing Kill posted:

Huh. I didn't know Mike Pence used to be a cop. You learn new things everyday.

Good: watch The Room.

Better: watch The Room with friends.

Best: watch The Room with friends and Rifftrax.

The Riff doesn't take away from the experience of watching the movie yourself. Nothing can. It makes it more tolerable, and provides moral support (and jokes).

The sex scene is untimely, gratuitous, and incredibly weird. It is excruciatingly long, like a few straight minutes I poo poo you not. It features the worst use music I have ever heard in film. It is painful to watch, and occurs about five minutes into the movie. The dude spends most of the scene grinding his dick into her hip. It's like a space alien wrote a sex scene.

And it is not even close to the worst scene in the movie. :allears: :allears: :allears:

The one bad thing about the Riff of the Room is the weirdly transphobic bit they do during that big sex scene. You can tell they're desperate for literally anything to talk about that isn't what's happening on screen for like a solid 5 minutes, so it devolves into a weird, pointless sketch. It's not meant to be bigoted, but it's also really unfunny and just keeps going.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
New mandates from SEGA after that cover included Sonic never having a girlfriend or expressing emotions other than "being cool".

Did Ken Penders' recent twitter meltdown get posted in this thread? Cause it was a doozy.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115455623104086017

This came after announcing randomly that Princess Sally lost her virginity at 16 to an older character. It's fascinating that even the DeviantArt Sonic people can't even outdo the guy who wrote the comic for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The 'darker' Sonic cartoon wasn't that dark, but it did have a plot that became the basis for the American comic and added on the environmental message popular in cartoons in the early 90s. The problem is people (mostly Ken Penders) remembered it as being dark, and decided that's what Sonic needed to be. That's where the divide between the comic and the games started.

Hell, was Princess Sally ever even a game character?