Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I've always wondered about the consequences of Dr. Doom's tooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I remember a giant rocketship too at my preschool. It was in the courtyard and the building was built in 1969, just the right time for SPACE to be in the minds of all children. I attended in the early 90s so it was a bit rusty with flaking paint, but it seemed enormously tall.

I also seem to recall a number of other space themed equipment, like Apollo capsule jungle gyms.

They seemed old to me even when I was little and I didn't recognize the shape. I found a Pinterest page full of playground equipment from the past, which is ringing a lot of nostalgia bells in my brain.

Now my local playground has a jungle gym made with some kind of bungee cords which looks like you could strangle yourself on it.

One playground not far from me has a similar "Submarine" jungle gym, that resembles something like a Gato-class boat. I'm kinda amazed its still there because it may even pre-date the space-craze.

When I was a little grabber, the local elementary school had a great playground. The district was never very well funded, and it looks like the city simply took whatever leftovers they had in the Department of Public Works yard, because it was mostly telephone poles, cement sewer culverts, packed earth and old tires. The result was more like a military obstacle course than a playground but we loved it.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

He's just trying to get a feel for the court

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Sweden, the year 1650

You: Thank you for your business, that will be 9 daler please.
Me: *snaps fingers, servant comes in with a 10 daler copper coin on a cart*

You: Here's your change.

The coins were solid copper plates with the metal value equal to the face value.The 10 daler coin weighed about 19kg (41 lbs) and had a value roughly equal to 30 000 SEK, or 3 500 USD today

Thats pretty interesting, never saw that before. The Laconians (Spartans) in the archaic and classical period used heavy iron skewers as their currency. It had little inherent value, it's believed that part of the reasoning was to make transfers of wealth (and underhanded things like bribes) difficult and cumbersome. When the Greeks adopted coinage, the standard coin or obol takes its name from these skewers.

In the South Pacific, the people of Yap used giant stones for currency that make the daler look downright convenient. The largest known weighs 4 tons. Because they are so difficult to move, trading them is largely based on agreeing that ownership has transferred and leaving it where it is.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I remember being totally surprised (pleasantly!) by the twist in that movie. A few people actually left the theater during Cheech's sales pitch.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Peeny Cheez posted:

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a tedious dork who should talk less than he does.

https://mobile.twitter.com/neiltyson/status/27038631191

Considering Italy didnt unify until 1861, I think Spain had a bit of a head start there

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

snergle posted:

They sell tootsie rolls to fund raise. They then give 1%of each sell to what they told you its to raise money for and use the other 99% to further the churches political views / ignore the pope and further their political views. They donate heavily to anti lbgt non profits who create things like the bathroom bill.

I've audited the books of the local KofC council before, and unless the Special Olympics are behind the bathroom bill, you might be wrong here. 100% of the money goes to charities that work with children and young adults born with developmental disabilities, with the council itself covering the cost of tootsie rolls and high visibility vests for the volunteers collecting money at intersections (yes they did have to replace the old ones that said "retarded")

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

snergle posted:

https://www.newwaysministry.org/2017/06/07/new-report-shows-just-how-deep-knights-of-columbus-anti-lgbt-efforts-are/

This is a catholic pro lbgt organization.

https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/young-voices/3-things-know-you-invest-knights-columbus

This is the original article i was citing.

The afa is generally considered to be behind the bathroom bill that happened in nc.

The national organization does not get the tootsie roll money

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Memento posted:

is Salty Bet still a thing?

One of my friends will host a Salty Bet party like 3-4 times a year. He smokes up some brisket or something like that, and we have this arcane system to gamble away a few dollars. You throw a dollar (or if we're feeling fancy, it could be a $2 game) into the pot and bet on which fighter is going to win. If you're right you get a playing card. We keep going until most people have at least 5 cards to make a hand, and the best hand wins the pot. Then we usually order pizza at like midnight but it takes 20 minutes to place the order because my friends are high as balls and keep laughing for some reason.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

giving me flashbacks of Lower Guk

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

yeah sorry, this is not the place for that, I edited my post

mediocre content, but I feel the need to contribute something now. the cover for the new Cabin Boy bluray is kind of awesome:

Im pretty sure im one of like 9 people who actually saw that movie in the theater

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Some friends and I rented it in high school (Hollywood Video reprazent! -- goddamn but I'm old). Anyway, I remember us all kind of watching it in that "I can't look away from this train wreck" sort of way, and the father of the guy whose house we were at came in at some point to see what we were watching.He stood there for about ten awkward minutes or so, and then all he said was, "I'm just waiting to see which of you owns up to wanting to rent this."

When we were at the video store, we had chosen Cabin Boy over The Naked Gun 33-1/3. To this day I'm not sure if we made the better choice.

Most of 33.33 isnt quite up to par with the first two movies, but that third act at the Oscars is fantastic. I still love how the bad guy distracts Drebin with "Look! It's George Hamilton!"

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

In my experience someone just has to say "I'm vegan" to be labelled militant.

Riffing on vegans is about the laziest possible humour.

E:

I must be starting to develop OCD, because those Bs and one E being upside down is bothering me ever so slightly

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Data Graham posted:

There's also that "This business has paid its police protection money" light they were putting up in Detroit

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/01/23/detroit-green-light/109524794/

No doubt Green Light is a controversial project. Now in most big cities a lot of the violent crime is gang related. But the carjackings and shootings that happen at gas stations and corner stores usually have innocent victims and they get the most news exposure. The green light cameras are so clear that its leading to tips and fast identification of some suspects. To be honest, if I had no choice but to get gas in the city (which is roughly about as advisable as starting a land war in Asia), I would go to a green light location (they usually have a flashing green light right on the exterior signage). And if I was a dirtbag who wanted to rob people at a participating gas station, id have second thoughts about it (which I think is the primary objective).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Samuringa posted:

This isn't what you're looking for, but your post reminded me of it

In the same vein of right-wing fantasy literature, Dan Simmons wrote a book called Flashback. Now he is best known for Hyperion, which is in my opinion a really strong book (and the rest of the series is decent too). But Flashback makes thinly veiled references to a president like Obama basically ruining everything and the world quickly collapsing into a dystopian nightmare.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

When I was a kid, one of my neighbors bought a bright red Volvo sportwagon. I think it was a 740. He had a personalized license plate that said "TURBOX"

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I hope im not too late to poo poo on Voyager.

The show was looking to trim the cast a bit to save money and they were about to fire the guy who played Harry Kim. But then he made People Magazine's 50 most beautiful people list, so they fired Kes instead. Then she ended up on Intervention. I think 3 former Trek actors were on that show with drug problems.

The dude who played Chakotay wanted off the show, but he had signed a long-term contract. So he started acting like a total rear end hoping they would fire him. He demanded a big jump in pay, and creative control over his character, thinking that would do the trick. Instead, they agreed so he made sure his character got with Jeri Ryan.

Theres also a Youtube video that shows the crew lamenting that they only have like 30-something photon torpedoes and no hope of resupply, but they go through something like 140+ over the course of the show.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Source please, cause I couldn't find anything about this

One of them was Linda Li, and the third one if memory serves was another background actor but I couldnt find her name.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

Health class always told me if you take acid, you can get flashbacks years later.

I remember two stoner chicks in high school bragging that because they had cumulatively taken 50+ hits of acid they were "legally insane in <state>"

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

How could you guys forget about Sassiest Nurgling?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

In Detroit, Muskrats are acceptable to eat on Fridays during Lent for the same reason. A few charities and civic groups still have fundraiser dinners.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Still feels a bit "Rules-lawyer" to me, like how certain items are classified as X to get around various import taxes.

Anything classified as a truck has a huge import duty into the US (I think its 25%). So I heard that those new little Jeep Renegades are put together in Turkey, tested, them disassembled and sent by ship to somewhere on the east coast, imported as "parts" where they are then re-assembled to get around the duty.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

One of my biggest regrets is meeting Wesley and not getting a headbutt.

I also had an opportunity to get a headbutt, but he smelled so drat bad I curved him. Still not sure if I made the right choice.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Eh! Frank posted:

This reminded me, when I was working grounds-keeping at an apartment complex last year, the strangest thing I found on property was an unopened case of Soylent next to a dumpster. Second weirdest was a custom-printed Cyclops Lego minifig, also next to a dumpster.

One of my friends lives in an apartment complex and a neighbor across the way got a box of Blue Apron stuff on their porch. Sat there for weeks. People started to worry about the residents, but apparently they had been spotted going to and from their car. Then a second box showed up and was stacked on the first, which by then was starting to wilt a bit from being exposed to the elements for a month. Someone even made a Facebook page for the boxes, then they finally disappeared. :iiam:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

this poo poo will blow your mind:

but people also got raises back then, had more buying power.

I dont think thats very accurate. I remember most NES games topped out at 39.99 when the console was new. The first two games I got were Metroid and Kid Icarus for like $29.99, on sale from the normal price of $34.99.

When Zelda 2 finally came out after a delay caused by some shortage of chips or something, it was $42.99, and people grumbled about the price ceiling being broken.

I remember SNES games being at that higher price point though.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

There was also a version released in 2007 with Knights vs Orcs, but it didnt seem to approach the popularity Weapons & Warriors enjoyed in the 90s.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I saw this guy at the airport once, I mean its not like I could confuse him with anyone else

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Friend of mine worked with this really intelligent guy in a technical field. The only issue was, when the guy was seriously thinking about something, he would make little noises out loud. Almost like an audio track of the wheels turning in his head. And it totally weirded out clients and other coworkers.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I remember my babysitter's family had a Vic-20 and I vaguely recall some text based adventure games. One with Dracula, and one was a more generic fantasy game.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

You leave coke out of this

This is extremely ironic to me, because almost all coke nowadays is cut with Levamisole, which is a deworming agent used for cattle and pigs rather than horses

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I've pooped into an open, roaring campfire. Luckily I had enough pressure to kinda-arc it in so I didn't singe my sensitive bits.

Have a funny pic:

I think I was in like 6th grade and our new family dog took a huge bite out of my homework. I mean I still had like 75% of the page, and importantly all the sentence diagrams were still intact and legible but my English teacher who looked a bit like old Cruella de Vil still took me out into the hallway to yell at me for giving such a "bullshit excuse". I was so pissed off because I was actually being completely truthful.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Charley Marcuse is a former hot dog vendor at Tiger Stadium and Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan. He became known for his distinctive yell while selling hot dogs as well as his refusal to serve ketchup with them, responding "There is no ketchup in baseball!" when asked. He received national recognition after he was temporarily banned in 2004. He was fired permanently in 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Marcuse

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I always liked Judas Priest's cover of "Diamonds and Rust"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OHJP1BSVgM

Bonus points for posting the markedly superior "live" version

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Hell yeah, this is like those times someone shows up with their own register at department stores during Christmas rush. They work as a regular register but just keep the money lmao

Heard a story going back to the like 1960s where an A&P grocery store was consistently in the red and they could not figure out why. At wit's end they decided to inventory everything in the store down to the fixtures. Eventually they realized there was an additional checkout lane that was slightly different and not in the store plans. The store manager had installed it and would just run the line whenever the store was really busy and would pocket all the money.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

I read something in a book that said spy agencies can point a laser at a window and get what the people are talking about through the vibrations in the window.

That picture reminded me of that.

I forget what spy agency was building a shiny new facility, but the rumor was they were going to use special double paned windows with an air gap between them, and white noise would be piped into that space, preventing this kind of eavesdropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sasso is also in the 3 stooges remake.

Which is a much better film than it has any rights to be.

The shark lawyer seeing Larry's hair and saying something like "Please tell me Supercuts did this to you!" is just a great piece of writing