Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Famously beautiful football player Cristiano Ronaldo has just been honoured by having an airport named after him and a bust put there in his honour:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abgBM_jecSE

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

trickybiscuits posted:

They are almost as funny as Madeline Kahn, who was a goddamn genius and I have still not recovered from her death.

I just rewatched Clue a couple of days ago and looked Madeline Kahn up afterwards to see what she was up to these days.

Yup, I forgot that she died; that was a fun thing to be reminded about :( I will watch Mixed Nuts in her memory.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's not very funny, but I have a lot of sympathy for Lovecraft. He's a horrible racist who was so against miscegenation that he likened it to having sex with fishpeople, but he was also afraid of ending up in an asylum (since that's what happened to his parents, especially his mother). He essentially starved to death because his stories never earned him much money. His racism came from fear, and not hatred. That makes him pitiful, and you can't hate someone like that. Also, his writings and ideas are super-influential on generations of writers.

Here's a picture of a dolphin:

http://i.imgur.com/H2STmEC.mp4

I remember reading somewhere that along with his terror of darker-skinned people and insanity, Lovecraft also had a massive fear of being cold - at first he needed it to be 80+, then 90+ degrees, so I find it quite amusing that the real source of fear for him in At the Mountains of Madness probably wasn't the Terrible and Incomprehensible Ancient Ones from the Dawn of Time or the Unholy Horrors that Luck in the Depths AKA Shuggoths, it was that antarctica is really quite chilly and uncomfortable.

Edit:

mind the walrus posted:

Man the Persian Purrsian Rug industry has upped their game.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Poor ol' Howard, thought of that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes, and died.

:(

Pookah has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Aug 10, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

How dare you bring shame on this celebration of sheep!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They left out self-medicating to block the pain.

('totally scuttered' is irish slang for getting really really drunk, like completely banjaxed, polluted, mauldy drunk)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RFC2324 posted:

I still have to ask questions, as I have never heard banjaxed, or mauldy used as words.

'Banjaxed' when used about things means completely wrecked, damaged beyond repair and when used for people means very tired or very drunk. Now that I think about it, I don't think it really exists in any other grammatical form; like, you can't actively banjax something, it can only have become banjaxed.
'Mauldy' (first syllable is like Mao of the little red book) is a variant of mouldy and means something is very nasty - a person can be described as mauldy-looking (ugly), a food can be mauldy-tasting (horrible) and if you are mauldy drunk then you are very messily drunk.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Subjunctive posted:

My girlfriend's sister uses "mauldy", but mostly as an affectation. I don't know if it's a Newfoundland thing or what.

Newfoundlanders are mostly escaped irish people so some slang from the aul sod probably went over with them.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Context: Dude is apparently an American who is super proud of his Irish heritage and wants to let everyone know that Blue Lives Matter. He very obviously has no knowledge of the irish language and used a dictionary to translate 'Blue Lives Matter'.

The result is so incredibly bad, like really amazingly bad - it basically reads "Blue (the colour) dwelling (as in Kevin's dwelling) Matter (as in dark matter)".

Bonus Fun: even if he managed to accurately translate the phrase 'blue lives matter' into coherent irish, it would STILL mean 'Black Lives Matter' because for weird historical reasons black people are called blue people in irish!

Not even going to start on the utilikilt and hip-mounted e-cig holster.

https://thegeekygaeilgeoir.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/even-racists-got-the-blues/

Pookah has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Sep 8, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

https://www.theuncomfortable.com/

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Most parrots go through a stage at around the age of two which is pretty much like adolescence is in humans - they get rowdy, destructive and rebellious. They also take up 'hangin out' at the mall, as pictured above.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Powaqoatse posted:

so youre saying that all parrots existing or historical are two years old

Yes, they are all two years old.

All of them, and forever, that's why they are quite small and are cute.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was just having another look at https://www.theuncomfortable.com/ and saw this line in the designer's 'about' section:

quote:

My goal is to deconstruct the invisible design language of simple everyday objects and tweak their fundamental properties in order to surprise you and make you laugh. But also to help you appreciate the complexity and depth of interactions with the simplest of objects around us.

Goal achieved ten times over as far as I'm concerned; her designs are wonderfully funny, annoying and they really do make you appreciate the processes that produced so many of the things we use every day.

Also coffee and teapots that fail one of their fundamental requirements - which is to pour well, are depressingly common.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I will get and read this book, it sounds very interesting.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Just ask yourself, "how would these beings wear their pants?"

If they wear braces they'll have to hook 'em over their ears.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brilliant thank you!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

One of these days I'm going to have :10bux: to spare and I'm going to change your avatar and when I do, hooo boy just hang on.

Edit: Probably to this:

I kinda like this one:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Murray Hogarth's nemesis.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that those two tools who won some sort of BBC talent show or something?

I say that as an American who occasionally watches British Panel Shows on You Tube.

Count yourself fortunate that you know so little about Jedward.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/stranded-jedward-rescued-by-coast-guard-in-malahide-1.1853903

drat you watchful coastguard.

drat YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

fishtobaskets posted:

Not being from the region, is getting marooned by the tide in Dublin something that is blatantly simple to avoid? Or can it really catch you off guard if you're not a native?

It's very easy to avoid, very rarely happens and the two dum-dums are from Dublin, so I'd say the situation was 99% due to Jedward being eejits.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I like runny eggs.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ghosthorse posted:

I wanna know what saying this one's supposed to be

Looks like fat Satan is depressed about his waist measurement.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZiW43ld-_Y

Danny was right.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

`Nemesis posted:

Birdy cap battle

That was just wonderful - the fight, the victory dance and finally the doomed attempt at being satisfied with the obviously inferior green bottlecap.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

cash crab posted:

This eggcellent joke did not get the recognition it deserved

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I'd give it a standing ovation.

You're both eggshellent

:haw:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Married 41 years and their eldest kid is 18?

They waited 23 years to have a kid?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Picnic Princess posted:

What's wrong with that?

Nothing at all, I'm sure after all that waiting they'll be grand parents, just grand.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

dumb. posted:

Guys... it's made up.

I'm fairly sure that's not allowed.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

At first I was going to say she looked angry because her gloves didn't match, then I realised she was just co-ordinating them with her bag and shoes.

Nice accessorizing Scarlet Lady .

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Are they anything like Wagon Wheels? Because those things suck, and I still hold a grudge against the people who gave them to me as Halloween treats when I was a kid.

I desperately envied the kids who got things like wagon wheels and capri-sun in their lunchboxes. All we ever got were flasks of hot chocolate* and cheese and ketchup sandwiches :(

*occasionally it was a flask of hot water :( :(.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Nothing will ever be funnier to me than the time I saw a guy yelling at his barking dog: "Richard! Stop it!"

The loving dog's name was Richard.

Once when I was out walking my dog (Henry btw), we saw another person with a much bigger dog coming the other way, so my dog got into position to say hello to to the other dog. Other dog dodged the friendly meeting by walking closely behind his person until they passed us - all the time he was staring at my dog in that sidelong way dogs use when they want to look at something without being seen.

'Michael's shy', his owner explained.

:3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Probably shouldn't have taste-tested so many mysterious chemicals.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Et tu Crouté!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was googling 'mohair turtleneck' today for entirely normal reasons, and discovered a whole world of puzzlingly enormous fuzzy sweaters (and other knitted things).

Why are they so big?

Is it maybe an illusion and it is in fact the woman who is very tiny?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

:saddowns:

I think you may be right.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Picnic Princess posted:

None of you are women, are you?

That's the saddest thing; I am a woman, I've just never considered that anyone would get all fetish-y about a giant hairy sweater.

(On re-reading that last sentence I admit that the symbolism is not very subtle and I might just be a bit oblivious.)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In the still she looks like she's actually a spiderwoman and is knitting her own legs.

(Which would mean that she is tiny because spiders cannot grow over a certain size due to the limitations of their breathing mechanism.)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 13:06 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Moonpies sound like vastly inferior Tunnock's Teacakes.

(Bonus picture of Mr. Teacake, surrounded by his offspring)