Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I feel like all this exposure for work talk is helping me understand the concept of being triggered. I'm a GIS consultant, which in layman's terms means I set up mapping systems or design maps for organizations.

Setting up mapping systems usually garners a better customer base because if a company or individual knows they need to hire a GIS professional in the first place, they've already asked their IT guy to do it, and have subsequently learned it's its own beast and not something everyone can do.

Cartography design, though, holy poo poo. People do not realize the amount of time and money that goes into making maps. I need $3,000 a year in software licenses alone, and this doesn't include my plotter, material costs, computer hardware costs, field equipment, etc, etc.

It's like all the worst parts of being a graphic designer mixed with all the worst parts of being a computer toucher. "Yes, could you please make a map of all 4000 properties our real estate company manages? Updated every month? No, we don't have any geographic data, just a list of 4000 misspelled addresses. Make the symbol for each property our company logo. No, our new logo. And each one has to be legible. On a 24 x 36 map. Can you print us 300 copies? We need it in an hour. We can discuss your pay if we like your work."

This is why I have implemented a $100 consultation fee for all new customers, which gets you a 2-hour on site consultation that acts as a deposit towards any further contracts. It weeds out a lot of the fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Phy posted:

"Why the gently caress would we pay you to do a google image search"

You have no idea how confusing that acronym is for me when I'm reading these forums.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've been looking at real estate for the past couple years. It is laffo how completely inept they are at having online presence.
Plus, they don't know gently caress all about to list houses to actually sell. I've found so much wrong information, or I've had to figure poo poo out myself.
And whoever takes pictures needs a goddamn class taken. Like, FFS, learn to take decent pictures

In my experience like 1/10 of all real estate people are even okay human beings. I had one firm who did not understand why I wouldn't extend my "friends, family, and good people" discount to them like I did to a local animal shelter.

Aleph Null posted:

Alteryx + Tableau and like $30,000/year in licensing fees for datasets is what the guy we have uses. I have no idea what his salary is.

Good lord. I use the ESRI and Adobe suites, personally, but I'm just a crappy, early career one man operation. I couldn't even guess what that guy makes; in house GIS analysts go for anywhere from 30,000 to 120,000 or more depending on industry, experience, and location, but if he's worth that much in datasets and using specialized analysis software I'm gonna guess he's making bank.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

ewwww esri.

they are some of the most annoying vendors/partners/clients ever

I don't disagree. I get regular emails from ESRI liaisons asking me in the vaguest possible ways whether there's anything I need for my account. Problem is, they never specify which account (I manage my own + 3-4 others), are never the same person so I can't cross-reference emails, and never reply when I ask what the gently caress they're referring to.

Buuuut they're the industry standard. And their software sucks, but it sucks less than everything else available so :shrug:

Anyway, I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread with GIS talk

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Are gender reveal parties a separate event from a baby shower? I feel like I don't have enough time/interest to attend 2 parties for the same baby before it's even born.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Memento posted:

I use MapInfo and it's perfectly *crashes*

To be honest I use QGIS if I'm consulting, which crashes probably just as much but is free. My company uses MapInfo because the woman whose job it is to decide these things is married to a guy from Pitney Bowes. :thunk:

If I had any goddamn sense in the world, I'd spend all my professional downtime learning QGIS. Would save me so much money.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

If I was in charge of that city, I'd immediately take advantage of that. Get that tourist money rolling in.

They made a bid for the first ever WakandaCon or some such and lost to a real city.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm guessing they ordered from using a website or whoever runs the bakery is an idiot.

(whynotboth.jpg)

South Carolina, soooooo

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Yellow Ant posted:

The political alignments of Mario Kart characters

https://twitter.com/arthouseptx/status/981332471617933312

I'd have thought Luigi was one of the dying breed of blue collar pro-unionists.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Hobo Erotica posted:

I get that it's not the true meaning of irony, but there is at least some kind of a funny connection between a movie being about water ingress and not being able to watch it because of water ingress, which is kind of 'ironic' in the common understanding of the term. But I don't get anything about the Mario one. I guess it's just characters playing themselves maybe? Seemed like a weird thing to enshrine in a motivational poster. gently caress it, never mind, we've all got bigger things to worry about.

Nah, it's loving pissing me off and I don't know why. It's not irony, even in the loosest sense, and it's not funny either. It's also been 15 years since any motivational poster was funny.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

New Leaf posted:

In case any of you weren't aware, there's now a podcast by the Welcome to Nightvale folks where they get friends/minor celebrities/other podcasters to read Chuck Tingle books. Each episode is introed by The Tingler himself. They are as amazing as you might imagine.

http://www.nightvalepresents.com/poundedinthebuttbymyownpodcast/

Chuck Tingle is also a pro follow on facebook, even if you don't read his books. He's a force for good in a scary, confusing world.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

AKA Pseudonym posted:

He means this one.

https://youtu.be/saqO_ZqX6uY?t=113

I don't get it either

Watch it again and pay close attention to what kind of bank they robbed, hth

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

How long do you think you'd have to bake your head in order to die?

All I can get are stats on survival in extremely hot situations. Based on that, I'd say a fully cranked oven would kill you in a couple of minutes.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

DandyLion posted:

She's the best part of that mini-series.

The best part of an extremely good series

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Occasionally I wonder "Hey, why did Dance Dance Revolution explode and then immediately fade into obscurity?" and then I'm reminded that society only had so much room in it's heart for this sort of poo poo

I kind of miss the days of house techno and happy hard and all that other objectively bad music. Tiesto was my hero when I was 14.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Barry Bluejeans posted:

As someone who spent the better part of his teen years playing DDR, these posts make me very melancholy and wistful.

I feel ya, totally. I made a lot of friends in high school playing DDR and it's still the most enjoyable form of exercise I've ever known. I recently poked around on the internet just to find out that decent dance pads are now a rare, expensive, niche hobby item. You'd never know that basically every suburban family in America had a pair back in 2007.

I'd love to still have my $90 hard foam insert pads now that I have a ground level condo and no sense of shame, but the market just ain't there and hasn't been for a decade. gently caress guitar hero I guess for making rhythm games that didn't require Americans to get off the couch or listen to techno. I think we need a revival, personally.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

The Toys That Made Us is endlessly entertaining and remarkably candid, strongly recommended for fellow man children with Netflix.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

It's incredible what you can accomplish at Disney World if you're willing to go in November or February.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

I was gonna say sounding kit but you're probably right

:same:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Imagined posted:

Then someone tell the story about how Ork magic works and away we go again

Um, actually it's not "magic" it's a reality-bending field of latent psychic energy and furthermore,

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

When I went to boarding school in nowhere, Tennessee in the early/mid 2000s the internet was practically non existent but all of the dorms and the computer lab were on the same LAN so we had constant Unreal Tournament, Halo, and Half-Life LAN parties.

I kinda miss that.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

St. Andrews, but close!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Ak Gara posted:

I feel like people strongly dislike targeted ads but the thing is, why do I need ads for "yarn! Old People Edition!" or "glazed pottery monthly"?

Give me steam sale ads, computer parts, what's recently been added to crunchyroll etc.

Mine are always "THIS NEW LAW MEANS HUGE SAVINGS FOR COLORADO RESIDENTS BORN BEFORE 1980" and it's like cool, that's not me

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I want to take that image and shove it in the face of every suburban white dude who's ever regurgitated the "It's pronounced Le-dash-a" myth

I guess that was all just projection

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I didn't find a personalized anything with my name on it until I went to England when I was 10. I saved that purple octopus keychain in a shoebox until I was old enough to drive.

Also the lifetime of correcting people on spelling/pronunciation sucks!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I feel like I need to share this with the world:

https://twitter.com/HistoryMuppet/status/1205379580116250624?s=20

I've been debating with myself for years as to whether I dreamed the Prince Muppets Tonight episode.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Oh yay; I was recently researching THC toxicity in dogs and get to share with you, the curious posters of SA

I'll keep it brief but dogs are much more susceptible to the effects of THC than humans, even when accounting for the generally much lower body weight of dogs. This is because dogs have way more cannaboid receptors than we do. Second hand smoke is rarely powerful enough to harm dogs outright but edibles can absolutely be dangerous (especially if they contain chocolate, obviously). Getting into a gummy or two of recreational grade edibles is not likely to cause long lasting harm for most dogs, but there are confirmed instances of canine death from consumption of medicinal grade edibles.

A secondary danger, as some of you have suspected, is how dogs react to being high. It's very much possible for dogs to injure themselves under the effects of THC, or to have unpredictable psychological reactions to the experience such as increased fear reactions to associated sensations long after the experience.

I think it goes without saying that getting your dog high is very irresponsible. Secure your edibles and always take your dog to a veterinarian if you suspect they've gotten into your stash.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I'm gonna find some hot af rule 34 on that toothbrush/toothpaste

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

She was also photographed with a dude who had a swastika on his shirt or something

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

No no no you see it's a joke that he's a cave troll and every single post you see extolling his virtues is made ironically and knowingly so--

Really there are good parts in Parks and Rec, the cast is too talented for there to not be, but you could rename that show "Why Clinton Politics lost to Trump" and it'd be accurate.

Parks and Rec has never been more succinctly explained

It's funny because it couldn't *not* be funny with that cast, but hooo boy it's the most Hilary Clinton sitcom I've ever seen. At least 30 Rock had the self-awareness to make fun of Liz Lemon's bougie-feminist leanings from time to time.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Which is a shame because it's a great term to describe all the corporate Pride bullshit that gets trotted out every June for naive gays such as myself.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

goddamn

this may win out over the wonderwall one

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I'm definitely amused by the thought of people who have mastered the exquisite art of throwing suction-cup dildos against windows so they stick, doing it to cop cars as they drive past a mob of protestors so they emerge at the end lookin like George Washington covered in dicks

This is called porcupining, by the way.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

bike tory posted:

Neil Degrasse Tyson, or hell even someone like Jordan Peterson are great examples of how most people are only "intelligent" in very discipline-specific ways. You only notice that they're stupendous dumbasses when they step outside of their lanes.

Ben Carson is my go-to example.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Does anyone have that parody of written erotica, the only line I can remember is "incredibly average body" but goddamn if it doesn't make me laugh like an idiot every single time.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I rewatched MiT recently and it really didn't hold up as well as other Brooks productions.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Men in Tights has a place in my heart always because it has 19 year old Dave Chapelle in it, and that dude rules

He was 19? That's incredible.

I loved MiT when I was a kid, but something about the comedic timing (and rap) just make the movie drag in a really sad way

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

RandomFerret posted:

I got detention once for saying something sucked. The teacher yelled "I know that means it SUCKS DICK"

Not a single kid in that class knew that

My 6th grade art teacher used that as some kind of gotcha. Every time someone said "that sucks" she'd start yelling "SUCKS WHAT EXACTLY???"

One day one of the more wholesome and well-meaning kids responded "A GIANT JUICY PICKLE :D" and got detention, but at least she never asked again.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

It's me, I'm the guy who goes to Whole Foods exclusively for the hot bar.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

gbut posted:

So, what's the resolution? He forgot to strap one to his forehead?

IIRC they catch him in a noose and hang him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I've been suspecting that Dingo might be part Corgi. He was advertised as a mini aussie but he's longer and lower than any other mini aussie I've seen.

The lady we got him from claimed she was rehoming him for a friend. She also mentioned that she breeds Corgis. I'm thinking that an Aussie snuck into the Corgi farm with lustful intentions.

Anyone else see it too?

I've seen a lot of mini aussies in my life, and that is not one of them.