Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just throwing it out there, but Name of the Year is down to the final four: http://www.nameoftheyear.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I *just* went there last weekend. Holy loving poo poo. That place is indescribable.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

If you save some of it, you can use it to make caccio e pepe, where you cook the pasta in just enough water to hydrate the noodles without having to strain. They should be super starchy, which makes it creamy without having to use actual cream. Great dish for lactose intolerant people.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I know it's coming and every loving time :lol:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm hesitant to re-watch that. I remember loving the hell out of that movie when it came out.

Especially the Lamont/Khan banter about buying ties in NY.

Weird, it holds a unique place for me: it was the first movie my dad took me to in a theater that I left thinking it wasn't that good. It was kind of a shock as a kid to learn that not every movie was awesome.

My dad asked me what I thought as we were walking to the car, and in a moment of panic I lied and said it was great.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

A?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

1stGear posted:

Immediately after that shot of Mario and Sephiroth, it cuts to show that the sword just grabbed him by his overalls. Sephiroth did not kill Mario. Mario is still alive.

Mario is immortal. And he just needs to bop people on the head to kill them. Brutal.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we're talking about bands that are better live than on record, TISM need to be mentioned.

As they are not well known outside of Aus., here they are, and this is how they dress up for an in TV studio single song performance. Yes, the big smiley face balloons are attached to their heads.
So imagine what kind of a show they put on when they have the stage to themselves.

If you loved Blue Man Group, you'll like Yellow Guy Troupe.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Academics can’t type accents, and they’re too pedantic to just ignore them.

Shockingly accurate.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, it's a long way to the shop.

If you want a sausage roll.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

People that get mad at masks would have a loving aneurysm if they ever went to east Asia.

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you take it off it goes cold and then you have to put a cold damp mask back on your face when you get where you're going next.

Also this.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

When I was in year 4, I did this with "loincloth". I'd never seen the word "loin" before, and it made sense to me that hunter-gatherers would wear lion cloths around their waists. The teacher made fun of me.

gently caress you, Mrs Metcalfe :(

Similarly, a kid in my 8th grade class was trying to say something was vague, but kept pronouncing it 'vahhhg'. The teacher just did not pick up on what he was saying the whole time, and it clearly took the wind out of his sails.

I always felt bad because he wasn't normally outspoken in class, or even interested in joining an academic discussion, so to be shut down for mispronouncing a word that he clearly just read and never heard pronounced was pretty rough.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah that's checkmate.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

yaffle posted:

I live in Beijing and this is all true, except now you need to add a billion immortal Kuai-di delivery men on totally silent electric mopeds to the mix. (Also a guy driving a green dump truck approaching the intersection at 60mph so befuddled by cheap amphetamines and lack of sleep that he no longer understands how to brake, let alone having any intention of actually doing so.)

Having also lived in China, there is a certain acceptance of fate every time you cross a road. It takes me a few weeks to acclimate whenever I go back. But eventually, you find the zen of it, and being nearly run over doesn't even raise your heart rate.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I loved the poo poo out of EV:Nova. I should go back and play Override.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm still amazed anyone gave Jimmy Fallon of all people a talk show. Dude always sounds like he's desperately afraid people are about to laugh at him instead of with him. He's not bad when given direction and lines to read, but hoo-boy can he not carry a show off-the-cuff.

This is how I felt about Leno. He was an *awful* interviewer. Guests would lead a conversation one way, and he would just snap back to his pre-written questions with zero engagement. Never liked his interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Babymetal pics belong in the badass pic thread.