Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think Chrysler likes electrical gremlins too much to hire someone like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well yeah, how are they gonna sell new cars if their old ones keep working?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well yeah, how are they gonna sell new cars if their old ones keep working?

True but they would have to have a running base group of cars to begin with. :classiclol:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Wow, lots of work for a mirror switch. That is the first time I've ever heard of that and would have certainly been the last thing I would have ever thought of.

Glad to see that 2.7l is alive and kicking. The PO was right with the pure synthetic changes to keep it alive.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 4, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My mind is loving blown. I think the Nissan that needed a transmission replacement for some completely unrelated electrical gremlin might still top this, but only barely.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

loving bravo Adiabatic.

Holy poo poo Chrysler.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Mother of god... I would have burnt the fucker to the ground in an insurance job before i worked that one out!

Well done colossal AI Overlord!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Requesting thread title change to "our mod is a goddamn wizard".

What in the ever living gently caress.

loving excellent job Adiabatic. I bet it would have taken most shops weeks of throwing parts at it before they gave up, followed by the dealer saying "oh it's the computers, it'll be $1000000000 to fix, but hey we have all these new problem-free cars here on the lot!".

I have almost lost my voice, I have already repeated this legend so many times.

At the end of the tale, it's a verbal pondering of the reality that the sun would have burned down into a cold, hard cinder before I would have ever figured this out.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
To be fair, you were incredibly thorough in documenting everything you did. I think if you had read the OP to any electrical diagnostician, with the backwards power mirror issue and the symptoms creeping up right afterwards they would have gone right for it. Im gonna tell the story to my mechanic buddies anyway though :coolfish:

Still, thanks for the praise everybody. AI owns!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

To be fair, you were incredibly thorough in documenting everything you did. I think if you had read the OP to any electrical diagnostician, with the backwards power mirror issue and the symptoms creeping up right afterwards they would have gone right for it. Im gonna tell the story to my mechanic buddies anyway though :coolfish:

I bow to your electrical wizardry sir. I deal with Chrysler that backfeed the 5v reference to the pcm all the time. This is 100% a Chrysler thing to do.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Adiabatic posted:

Somehow I missed the whole mirror switch part in the stupid question thread. Seams so obvious now! Killer effort. OP got chirsled hard.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Told it to my most capable bud and he thought it was the radio

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Chevy ventures radio talks to nearly every module and caused a security no start for me. This particular one had an after market radio put in years ago and never acted up before. Another chevy venture this time with an original radio was showing a 9 amp draw on the radio fuse. The culprit was actually a power door module in the back not seeing the door being closed.
The best tho is a story I heard on a f150 had a no start. His brake lights were drawing voltage from the fuel pump. Turning the car on foot on the brake no start.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This is one of the best threads I've ever been witness to on SA.

You deserve the hell out of that single malt, Adiabatic.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I had the switch as prime suspect myself. What I didn't have, was anything approaching the ability to back up and confirm that hunch via a wiring diagram over the internet.

Seriously impressive stuff. I learned a lot with this thread.

This is exactly why I keep coming back to AI and SA.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I wanna know what intrepid.net thought of this! Post a link? Or some quotes?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Left Ventricle posted:

I wanna know what intrepid.net thought of this! Post a link? Or some quotes?

They were impressed. No one ever heard of that one before.

(I.net poster): "Great that it's solved. I don't see anything about installing a mirror switch in this thread. Did I miss something? What post was it in?"

(me): No, you are correct. It is my fault that I never posted about it, I posted about this over there, and went through & made notes of every little thing that I had done. That seemed entirely inconsequential.

Of all the searching I did for solutions to this problem, nowhere, anywhere, was an issue with a defective power mirror switch mentioned.

(I.net poster): "Yeah, pretty sure this is the first time anything like this has been the issue. Congrats on being the first. "

Then:

"I think we did pretty good with just the one fact of the oil light staying on.

The whole key to troubleshooting was in these statements:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peva
That right there is a clue. The engine oil pressure light goes thru no computers. Its body is grounded thru the engine block, and its wire goes directly to the oil pressure warning LED in the cluster...SO - something is putting voltage to that Fuse 1 circuit when the ign. switch is turned off - either that ignition switch contact is staying closed (you just replaced it, so unlikely), or something (a wire or device on the Fuse 1 circuit) is feeding 12 volts to that circuit from an always-on (hot) circuit.

Use the FSM schematics (start at page 8W-40-6) and a voltmeter or troubleshooting light to find out how voltage is being forced onto the Fuse 1 circuit. (Also look at page 8W-12-8.)...Again, troubleshoot to find out why the Fuse 1 circuit is staying powered."

...so they were a day later & a dollar shorter with this diagnosis, which Adiabatic posted & then sped off into glory at 88-MPH within an hour or so.

I'm guessing they'll file it away with all of the other mind-loving crap that can go wrong with semi-androidal motor vehicles in the age of copy & paste engineering.

I still like this car. I will just have to go all ISO9000 every time I change a light bulb.

Meanwhile, my fifty-year old Pontiac just...can't fail like this. I am concerned she may develop an inferiority complex

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 5, 2017

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Adiabatic posted:

Jesus loving Christler

Fixed it.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

TheFonz posted:

Fixed it.

Automotive Insanity: Jesus loving Christler

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like that. Too bad the March chat thread was just started because that would be the best title.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

EL Bombastico posted:

Automotive Insanity: Jesus loving Christler

My uncle used to yell "GEE-EMM-CEEEE CHRYSLER!" as an exclamation when he was around us kids and he hit his thumb with a hammer or something. Still my favorite pseudo-swear to this day. :shobon:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
When you work on a Chrysler and it just blows up and or shits in your face it's called getting chirzled.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BEST PAYMENT EVER

Thanks bud!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:yayclod: :scotland:

My pleasure.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I think this is the most impressive display of electrical sleuthing I've ever seen...on the internet. :stare:

Also, that is a mighty nice booze you got there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Me : So why the hell is this thread rated 5......

:: reads ::

JFC what the hell? How? HOW? This has utterly blown my mind, let alone how the hell anyone worked the issue out

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Me : So why the hell is this thread rated 5......

:: reads ::

JFC what the hell? How? HOW? This has utterly blown my mind, let alone how the hell anyone worked the issue out

Man I love this place

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
This is like the car talk puzzler of the forums. 5.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Brafuckingvo.

Mighty fine work Adiabatic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Adiabatic posted:

BEST PAYMENT EVER

Thanks bud!

I thought the only currency you accepted was beer? :colbert: Or is that only the case when someone uses your lift?

(.... I'm super jealous, and I'm not even a whiskey guy)

Mental Hospitality posted:

I think this is the most impressive display of electrical sleuthing I've ever seen...on the internet. :stare:

I'd say it'd have been impressive even if it had been done in person, especially given how quickly it was resolved.

That poo poo got fixed faster than having kastein troubleshoot RENIX.... or do a Subaru engine swap.

(please don't kill me Ken)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Scotch is like beer, a balance of pain and pleasure, just concentrated to get you drunk quicker and less peeing.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

BEST PAYMENT EVER

Thanks bud!

Excellent payment.

My jealousy abounds.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Ok, so I keep thinking about this.

Keep in mind I've never as much as looked at a wiring schematic for anything but this cab forward cloud car, but what keeps malfunctioning 'hot' switches (power mirrors, seats, hazard lights, headlights...) in other better designed cars from acting up in exactly the same way? A relay switching both positive and negative ignition, uh, wires?

This is also exactly how that flip the hazard switch over to bridge contacts and you can pop start it and drive off [other than the steering wheel lock] top gear thing works right?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm more amazed that a 16 year old Intrepid is still running, much less refusing to stop.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Anticlimax:

Dorman mirror switch arrived today; works as it should, car behaved normally.

You bet your rear end I plugged it in & started the car before even snapping it into the door-card.

LeeMajors posted:

I'm more amazed that a 16 year old Intrepid is still running, much less refusing to stop.

Still searching for that hidden bag of Bolivian marching powder.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
To echo: holy sucking poo poo.

That is some Colombo poo poo right there.

• Locked thread