Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Shrapnig posted:

Who would even suggest he would play as a number 10? He's been a holding midfielder for a decade.

:shrug: everyone online seems to say he can't run anymore and they already have at a pair of d-mids who for MLS are pretty good. I mean he hasn't been a #10 ever, yet this is the league that had Colorado decide Jermaine Jones is a #10 and that Kevin Doyle the store brand Robbie Keane can be a play-maker on a playoff team. Keeps him closer to goal making it more likely he will score and thus make everyone happy except people spergin about MLS being a retirement league because like 5 old Europeans play here now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I guess he's probably talented enough that he could saunter around like Riquelme in the middle of the park and dictate play in MLS.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Jack2142 posted:

:shrug: everyone online seems to say he can't run anymore and they already have at a pair of d-mids who for MLS are pretty good. I mean he hasn't been a #10 ever, yet this is the league that had Colorado decide Jermaine Jones is a #10 and that Kevin Doyle the store brand Robbie Keane can be a play-maker on a playoff team. Keeps him closer to goal making it more likely he will score and thus make everyone happy except people spergin about MLS being a retirement league because like 5 old Europeans play here now.

It's never been his regular or best position, but he has played as a 10 for Bayern a few times back in the day.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Atlanta just made Josef Martinez's transfer permanent, he had been on loan to start the season. I wonder what arcane rule that 3 game loan helped circumvent.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

trem_two posted:

Atlanta just made Josef Martinez's transfer permanent, he had been on loan to start the season. I wonder what arcane rule that 3 game loan helped circumvent.

I'd think it was more to do with "hey is this guy gonna actually be good? OH gently caress YES"

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ShutteredIn posted:

I'd think it was more to do with "hey is this guy gonna actually be good? OH gently caress YES"
Don't worry I put him on my fantasy team thereby ensuring he will no nothing and/or get a straight red

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Presented without comment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSCd2gigr34/

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

MLS social is the worst. More Nintendo TIFO for everyone. Doooop!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm getting very close to writing off this league entirely, and I loving love supporting my poo poo team.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

No MLS just because Lletget is loving one of the new power rangers, don't please no...

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Shrapnig posted:

I'm getting very close to writing off this league entirely, and I loving love supporting my poo poo team.

Thats what I did

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Days like this I need to spread the gospel of not caring what people you don't know think of your domestic league or how you support your team, or how it markets itself on social media you don't use, and simply excising the word "cringeworthy" from your vocabulary.

It's remarkably liberating!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/PCarrESPN/status/845771147790700545

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Days like this I need to spread the gospel of not caring what people you don't know think of your domestic league or how you support your team, or how it markets itself on social media you don't use, and simply excising the word "cringeworthy" from your vocabulary.

It's remarkably liberating!

Well yea.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

At some point Minnesota is going to figure out what the hell they are doing, but every team that plays them in the first few months of the season can basically mark that one off as a guaranteed 3 points.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I am liberated!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

binge crotching posted:

At some point Minnesota is going to figure out what the hell they are doing, but every team that plays them in the first few months of the season can basically mark that one off as a guaranteed 3 points.

Except Colorado.

God we suck.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Star Man posted:

Except Colorado.

God we suck.

I would have said new england but uhhhh um.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Crew actually looked decent again but our defense is still suspect as gently caress.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

silvergoose posted:

I would have said new england but uhhhh um.

Well the Revs did let in two silly goals based on pretty basic defensive errors, so there's that. Pretty sure my Revs are still awful, but the Loons are so much worse that we still won easily.

At the game I realized that the Revs shirt sponsor is also the reason why Minnesota's team is named United and not the Stars or whatever.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Do over Ham posted:

Well the Revs did let in two silly goals based on pretty basic defensive errors, so there's that. Pretty sure my Revs are still awful, but the Loons are so much worse that we still won easily.

At the game I realized that the Revs shirt sponsor is also the reason why Minnesota's team is named United and not the Stars or whatever.

The number of people who had Bobby Shuttleworth as the Revs MOTM yesterday

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There's been one constant in those three games where they allowed 4+ goals: Demidov starting at CB.

In the one game he didn't play? Two goals allowed, one of which was the dreaded "everyone loses concentration right after scoring" thing that can happen to anybody.

BUT HE'S A EUROPEAN HE MUST BE GOOD! Brian Kallman, who was a backup in the NASL for three and a half years until becoming a regular starter for Minnesota sometime during 2016, has been better than him.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 27, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Are the Gophers doing spring practices right now? Maybe the Loons can borrow a tackling dummy to replace Demidov.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

There's been one constant in those three games where they allowed 4+ goals: Demidov starting at CB.

In the one game he didn't play? Two goals allowed, one of which was the dreaded "everyone loses concentration right after scoring" thing that can happen to anybody.

BUT HE'S A EUROPEAN HE MUST BE GOOD! Brian Kallman, who was a backup in the NASL for three and a half years until becoming a regular starter for Minnesota sometime during 2016, has been better than him.

Demidov is hilariously bad and is a strong example of Minnesota having no loving clue what their doing and I honestly look forward to their tire fire DP signings, its too bad they weren't in the league last year probably could have sent them Valdez.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

Demidov is hilariously bad and is a strong example of Minnesota having no loving clue what their doing and I honestly look forward to their tire fire DP signings, its too bad they weren't in the league last year probably could have sent them Valdez.
Nah Minnesota has a clue as far as the domestic or from-elsewhere-in-MLS players go - the NASL players they brought up have been fine for the most part. Molino has done some good things. Venegas has done some good things. Saeid and Warner have been effective in spurts. It's just that their imports have all been useless or just about useless. Alvbage? Terrible before he got his knee gash. Demidov? Single-handedly responsible for about five goals against over the first two games. Schuller? Crap all year so far and was subbed out at halftime last weekend. Kadrii? Had one decent game but was worthless and subbed out at halftime yesterday. Calvo? Part of that great 1-2 center back punch with Demidov.

To be fair, in Calvo's case he was playing as a left back in Costa Rica and had scored about 15 goals over the last two years. That's the one move that you can really blast them for. "Let's take a LB who's apparently pretty nifty in attack and shove him into the middle in a new league where the players are more physical and get away with more poo poo. Yes that will work great." That and still using him at CB when Davis was suspended and instead putting Jermaine Taylor at fullback oh my god

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazy Ted posted:

It's just that their imports have all been useless or just about useless.

I applaud their commitment to reflecting local heritage by bringing in a ton of players from the Scandinavian leagues, but it's worth remembering that those leagues are, at best, a sidegrade to MLS (aside from certain overrated youth prospects in Football Manager. :colbert:).

Also I had heard Demidov was a holding midfielder in denial like a cut-price David Luiz but nope, apparently he always was a CB. And a team captain! And his team finished second in Norway last year conceding the second-fewest goals! So IDK what the gently caress happened to him in the offseason to explain this. (My guesses include "Adrian Heath is not a defensive-minded manager" and "actually the Tippeliga is Not That Good" as above).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

Nah Minnesota has a clue as far as the domestic or from-elsewhere-in-MLS players go - the NASL players they brought up have been fine for the most part. Molino has done some good things. Venegas has done some good things. Saeid and Warner have been effective in spurts. It's just that their imports have all been useless or just about useless. Alvbage? Terrible before he got his knee gash. Demidov? Single-handedly responsible for about five goals against over the first two games. Schuller? Crap all year so far and was subbed out at halftime last weekend. Kadrii? Had one decent game but was worthless and subbed out at halftime yesterday. Calvo? Part of that great 1-2 center back punch with Demidov.

To be fair, in Calvo's case he was playing as a left back in Costa Rica and had scored about 15 goals over the last two years. That's the one move that you can really blast them for. "Let's take a LB who's apparently pretty nifty in attack and shove him into the middle in a new league where the players are more physical and get away with more poo poo. Yes that will work great." That and still using him at CB when Davis was suspended and instead putting Jermaine Taylor at fullback oh my god

Thats sort of just confirming what I meant when I said they had no clue what they are doing from a talent acquisition perspective, the guys they had sitting in their laps as NASL dudes and random MLS journeymen like Warner are "ok" not good, but not the problem with the team. When they went out to grab guys from international leagues they picked up a ton of lovely players, who at best look like they are just being played out of position (Calvo) and at worst are a worse center back than a loving NASL bench dude.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I applaud their commitment to reflecting local heritage by bringing in a ton of players from the Scandinavian leagues, but it's worth remembering that those leagues are, at best, a sidegrade to MLS (aside from certain overrated youth prospects in Football Manager. :colbert:).

Also I had heard Demidov was a holding midfielder in denial like a cut-price David Luiz but nope, apparently he always was a CB. And a team captain! And his team finished second in Norway last year conceding the second-fewest goals! So IDK what the gently caress happened to him in the offseason to explain this. (My guesses include "Adrian Heath is not a defensive-minded manager" and "actually the Tippeliga is Not That Good" as above).

Yeah the Nordic Leagues are not very good, MLS still has nothing on the big dogs, but compared to any random second or third tier European League no one outside their country watches I would be willing to bet on MLS.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Also I had heard Demidov was a holding midfielder in denial like a cut-price David Luiz but nope, apparently he always was a CB. And a team captain! And his team finished second in Norway last year conceding the second-fewest goals! So IDK what the gently caress happened to him in the offseason to explain this. (My guesses include "Adrian Heath is not a soccer-minded manager" and "actually the Tippeliga is Not That Good" as above).

ftfy

Adrian Heath is a phony!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Atlanta fans appear to have picked up poo poo-talking rather quickly:

http://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/2017/3/27/15070258/we-found-the-greatest-atlanta-united-customized-kit-so-far

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Bragging about beating an nasl side with a backwards Chelsea hat on is not cool imo

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

I have seen Revs fans with "The Morgue" on the back of their Revs jersey, because, of course, they sit in The Morgue, not stand in The Fort. We don't stand and sing in The Morgue, we sit and shout out sarcastic comments at appropriate moments. I should get a Revs jersey with The Morgue on the back, and make it #11, because The Morgue is the 11th man. :tootzzz:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's way better than the guy with a custom Timbers kit that is the number 7 with "TD MAN U" as the player name, or the guy with "IMPEACH 45".

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

Thats sort of just confirming what I meant when I said they had no clue what they are doing from a talent acquisition perspective, the guys they had sitting in their laps as NASL dudes and random MLS journeymen like Warner are "ok" not good, but not the problem with the team.

Well I guess here's the important question: Who had the final say on signing the European imports? Was it Heath? Or was it former manager and current Director of Soccer Or Whatever You Call it Manny Lagos? Did they decide on those together?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they don't have a clue what they are doing from a talent acquisition perspective, because the portion of the roster that consists of players who've been based in the US is probably about where the quality should be. In a league where there is basically no Free Agency except for under limited circumstances, the best a first-year team is going to get is unwanted castoffs from other teams and then some of their own players when they make the jump up. That and trades that involve more than just straight-up cash. Of course, that's going to leave them talent-deficient.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 28, 2017

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Josef Martinez strained/pulled his quad in the last Venezuela match, and will be out at least a month.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Josef Martinez strained/pulled his quad in the last Venezuela match, and will be out at least a month.

Sign a full contract, get injured immediately. Well done Torino.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
And Lletget needs to have foot surgery, will be out for 4 to 6 months

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

And Lletget needs to have foot surgery, will be out for 4 to 6 months

Lisfranc fractures are rough. It's pretty much a fracture plus dislocation of the toe bone.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Wow, this has been a rough week for injuries. I'm nervously eyeing the CRC-HON game hoping that the Hondurans don't take out the murderfucking they got from the USMNT on any of our Tico contingent.

Are we all going to start getting bitter and resentful about international breaks like the Euro fans do?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

You're implying there's an international break in MLS to be bitter about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

if you used canadian players, you wouldn't have problems with things like WCQ

• Locked thread