Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shrapnig posted:

You're implying there's an international break in MLS to be bitter about.

There is one. We just let teams opt out of it.

Azerban posted:

if you used canadian players, you wouldn't have problems with things like WCQ

Unfortunately the best Canadian on our team a) doesn't actually have his citizenship yet and b) is barely old enough to drive.

(I still think Teibert will come good and it looks like he'll get the chance to show it this year. Maybe under the Glorious Zambrano Junta he'll actually get MNT callups too!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Azerban posted:

if you used canadian players, you wouldn't have problems with things like WCQ

But you'd have problem winning games. Double edged sword

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Dallan Invictus posted:

There is one. We just let teams opt out of it.

Unfortunately the best Canadian on our team a) doesn't actually have his citizenship yet and b) is barely old enough to drive.

(I still think Teibert will come good and it looks like he'll get the chance to show it this year. Maybe under the Glorious Zambrano Junta he'll actually get MNT callups too!)

And take playing time away from NASL superstar Kyle Bekker? I don't think so, bud

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Meanwhile on the internet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm shocked :geno:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Syrinxx posted:

Meanwhile on the internet

The fact that they did not expect precisely this outcome this suggests that they're incompetent enough that they shouldn't get a bid.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/RealSaltLake/status/847167701147500544

I kinda wonder why they held out until after their game vs. NYRB.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
WHY DID YOU HIRE PETKE

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

WHY DID YOU HIRE PETKE

I dunno, because Daryl Shore didn't want to be fired several years later after he became head coach? :shrug:

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
petke is a good coach by mls standards, his firing from rbny was a shock and a ton of people wanted him back for the entirety of last season

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

fat greasy puto posted:

petke is a good coach by mls standards, his firing from rbny was a shock and a ton of people wanted him back for the entirety of last season

"The entirety of last season" is a massive exaggeration

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He shouldn't have been fired is probably more accurate.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Seriously Petke is a great hire and he'll get RSL back to where they belong quick enough. He's good, and anyone who's taking a spot some useless Adrian Heath type might try and fill is a net benefit for the league.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Petke is a legitimately good coach. He knows MLS which is the biggest hurdle for new coaches in this league.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Seltzer posted:

"The entirety of last season" is a massive exaggeration

yea yea

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Caps trading Manneh to Columbus for Tony Tchani and $300k in Garberbucks.

No, this is not an April Fool's joke, but that WAS my initial reaction!

Taking some time to think about it, though, Vancouver is way overstocked on wingers, Manneh is fast as gently caress but also horribly inconsistent and an iffy decision maker with glass legs, and none of that's changed in four years, his contract was up this year, and maybe Tchani can improve our central midfield or the GAM will help us get someone who can.

edit: also the heartless lizard kings in the FO got us a ton of clauses: Columbus' 1st round pick if he re-signs, GAM if he's traded within the league, and a percentage of any transfer fee if they sell him outside MLS.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 30, 2017

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
That trade seems really lopsided in Vancouver's favor

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

camoseven posted:

It could be a win-win move where each team is filling a weakness with a surplus player, but IDK whether Columbus actually needs someone in Manneh's role or not.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dallan Invictus posted:

It could be a win-win move where each team is filling a weakness with a surplus player, but IDK whether Columbus actually needs someone in Manneh's role or not.

Maybe this is their way of realizing Higuain is dead (last week is an outlier), and that they are gonna move Meram too the middle, Manneh and Findlay would both be fast as gently caress and make things awful. Plus with Jacobsen injured and Teibert being bad, if Tchani gives a poo poo like he did in 2015 their midfield should be pretty dangerous almost like having Koffie back, who I think the Whitecaps really missed last year.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2017/3/30/15130524/derlis-gonzalez-transfer-rumor-sounders-paraguay

Also I think the Sounders like spending money.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Great! If I recall correctly, the Sounders have a perfect track record with Paraguayan DPs. please be better than Valdez

Wonder where he'd fit in if signed. Looks like a speedy attacker. Would play up top with Morris moving to winger, I guess? No idea.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

Great! If I recall correctly, the Sounders have a perfect track record with Paraguayan DPs. please be better than Valdez

Wonder where he'd fit in if signed. Looks like a speedy attacker. Would play up top with Morris moving to winger, I guess? No idea.

Who would get removed in order for him to play?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The anus/roof opening in the new Atlanta stadium is not working as expected, which is going to impact the construction completion schedule and possibly gently caress up the team's schedule from late July.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

trem_two posted:

The anus/roof opening in the new Atlanta stadium is not working as expected, which is going to impact the construction completion schedule and possibly gently caress up the team's schedule from late July.

Other articles I've seen about that have said the most likely scenario is opening on time but with a roof that won't close. I guess we'll find out for sure soon enough, though.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

binge crotching posted:

Who would get removed in order for him to play?

Shipp I guess?

Frei
Fisher Torres Marshall Jones

Dempsey Roldan Alonso Lodeiro

Morris Gonzalez?

Something like that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

camoseven posted:

Other articles I've seen about that have said the most likely scenario is opening on time but with a roof that won't close. I guess we'll find out for sure soon enough, though.

Cobb County United

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Shipp I guess?

Frei
Fisher Torres Marshall Jones

Dempsey Roldan Alonso Lodeiro

Morris Gonzalez?

Something like that.

Sort don't think we would go to a flat 4-4-2 though, probably just drop Shipp and slot in this guy Derlis at RW, which looking on his FIFA card is his position :shrug: Honestly the Sounders need more fast players, and other than wanting a right back better than Fisher blowing money on a young DP sounds better than bringing in Honda.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

camoseven posted:

Trading a third string CDM + money for a starting winger seems fair to me. Manneh will compete with Finlay for the right wing slot as Finlay has not done poo poo since 2015.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
No one's mentioned the reporter who asked Schweinsteiger if the Fire could win the World Cup? No one?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jack2142 posted:

Sort don't think we would go to a flat 4-4-2 though, probably just drop Shipp and slot in this guy Derlis at RW, which looking on his FIFA card is his position :shrug: Honestly the Sounders need more fast players, and other than wanting a right back better than Fisher blowing money on a young DP sounds better than bringing in Honda.

Yeah I tossed that together really half assedly. I agree about the pickup, seems like a good move but I feel like the Sounders need depth at fullback more than anything else. This will be easier with Fisher and Evans back, but they could use some help all the same.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

all-Rush mixtape posted:

No one's mentioned the reporter who asked Schweinsteiger if the Fire could win the World Cup? No one?

I think this is one of those things that is just so embarrassing that everyone is pretending it didn't happen.

Though someone did mention it in another thread.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So former D.C. (And now retired) GK Charlie Horton is suing the team, Olsen, and Fabian Espindola for his career ending concussion suffered...after a film review.

Everyone on my team needs to wear Kevlar helmets just to survive.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/847866763853385730

Maybe they'll go down to a GAA of <4 with this move.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
Yes, what a blockbuster trade that is.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/847866763853385730

Maybe they'll go down to a GAA of <4 with this move.

I'll believe it when I get the ESPN notification. Until then? Nah.

A midfielder who's bounced around Sweden a bit and had 50 appearances with Columbus, a US winger with bad knees, and money for a fairly rock-solid (albeit yellow card happy) midfielder and a left back who ran the offense last game? I know the Rapids need to do something, but this? Eh...

Some other thoughts: Cronin felt like Pablo's man through and through. Trading him would be extremely surprising. Who plays left back now? Williams? Serna? Also, really, that's all the Rapids could get? Ultimately...if there's not another piece to this coming in a few months (See the rumors about Aron Jóhannsson for example), this is a crappy trade.

Also, supposedly, no money changed hands which makes this trade that much crappier. - https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/847871227171676162

Edit - The peanut gallery is chiming in that this feels like the Beckerman trade right now. I agree.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Rapids have no idea what they are doing and last season was a fluke.

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah I tossed that together really half assedly. I agree about the pickup, seems like a good move but I feel like the Sounders need depth at fullback more than anything else. This will be easier with Fisher and Evans back, but they could use some help all the same.

I would love for the Sounders to pick up Abdul Salam from SKC, he had the second most assists for a fullback last season other than Jones, and we should move before SKC realizes playing Zusi at right back is a bad idea and Vermes remembers he already has a better, cheaper and younger fullback on his roster.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 31, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

The Rapids have no idea what they are doing and last season was a fluke.

That wouldn't surprise me.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So former D.C. (And now retired) GK Charlie Horton is suing the team, Olsen, and Fabian Espindola for his career ending concussion suffered...after a film review.

Everyone on my team needs to wear Kevlar helmets just to survive.

Wow, I don't recall that name at all.

Also digging the Rapids trade, Burch isn't that good and we can slot Boateng into Cronin's spot.

EDIT: OK not digging so much what we got for them, but I'm holding out hope we're getting Aron or someone comparable.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 1, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Moktaro posted:

Wow, I don't recall that name at all.

Also digging the Rapids trade, Burch isn't that good and we can slot Boateng into Cronin's spot.

EDIT: OK not digging so much what we got for them, but I'm holding out hope we're getting Aron or someone comparable.

Yup. As of right now it's a crappy trade. If something big/good comes of it later, then fine.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

It's not a good trade in itself, but I'll take some action over the FO being all ThisIsFine.jpg again. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Has any player had a smoother transition from US lower-tier soccer to MLS than Christian Ramirez? He is white-hot right now

• Locked thread