Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Philly gets a road point

:toot:

Like I said on the last day of the off-season thread, I really hope Vancouver can sign a playmaking mid and, say, McInerney to back up Montero, because on last night's evidence this is going to be a long goddamn season and for all JackMac has been a disappointment in the past few years he literally cannot be worse than Hurtado, who is rapidly replacing Atiba Harris as the All-Time Whitecaps Player I Most Want To See Shot Into The Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
On current form, he actually looks like he'll renew at United so this probably won't happen, but the Galaxy have been mediocre enough (by their standards) lately that it's almost hard to hate them these days.

We can't be having that, can we? So, fine, Zlatan. Make the Galaxy Hated Again.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

"Extreme weather" lmao, there's like 2 inches of snow on the ground for fucks sake.

Is it the snow or the cold that's supposed to be the problem? (also I look forward to seeing Minnesota's home opener, why the hell did they put it in March?)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Hoover Dam posted:

It's not the snow--one of the Revs' best playoff games looked like it does outside now--it's that whole "10 degrees F at kickoff plus 20mph winds" thing. I'm disappointed, because I really liked the idea of making Kaká-less Florida Team play in that, but I know it's an expensive pain in the rear end to postpone. It wasn't like they asked Alexa for a weather report and decided "meh, not feelin' it." Waiting to hear back if I should take the pennants for tomorrow and just scribble in the new date with a sharpie.

Is the NFL schedule out yet? A part of me giggles at the idea of soccer lines at Gillette on 9/3, even though I'm absolutely certain they will find a way to avoid that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Anyway, I'm glad MLS has mostly avoided the really terrible kinds of sponsorships you see in Europe. PAYDAYLOANBET

I figure the PL's loan shark/bookmaker sponsors are the equivalent of MLS' pyramid scheme sponsors.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

They're certainly loving gone from MLSLive. I'm pretty pissed about it. I really don't want to watch condensed matches all the time. The 4 minute highlights were perfect.

Check the smartphone app, they seem to be available there.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Basically Adrian Heath is a great third-division manager who is hilariously out of his depth in MLS and has probably already blamed the snow, the refs, his team's travel schedule, and a bad haircut for Minnesota's showing today.

This is really the main lesson that should be drawn from today. Why didn't they hire Savarese again?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

By this logic, why didn't he sub himself in?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Not to interrupt this fascinating topic, but we have a winner for the 2017 Sack Race. Jeff Cassar, come on down (to the unemployment line).

Honestly I'm surprised he only got three games if they bothered to keep him through the offseason.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Popero posted:

Based on their roster it seems a weird way to spend money either way.

I mean, they've been pursuing him for months and he was balking so they went and got Dax and Juninho instead. Then, where a sane FO would pull an Arsene Wenger and move on while going "oh well we almost signed him", they keep talking and eventtually he says "okay sure, for one year and we'll see" and you'd be stuck with three starting holding midfielders but one of them would be Bastian Schweinsteiger, and at this level he still seems like a guy who can do A Job. (also, off the field it's clearly moved the needle and made a Statement of Intent and all that cliched jazz.)

Of course it's hard to tell what he's still got because he insisted on staying on a United squad where he was clearly frozen out for a year-plus longer than he should have, so "weird way to spend money" is putting it mildly but Who Among Us hasn't made a silly decision after something/one we really wanted but couldn't have suddenly fell into our laps.

Ah, well, not my team, not my money, not even my conference, and frankly at this point they have nothing to lose so why not take a Big Flashy Insane Gamble? Even if they don't completely shake up their formation to fit all three of them in - between injuries, squad rotation, refusal to play on turf, theoretical MNT callups for Dax, I imagine all three of them find games.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Days like this I need to spread the gospel of not caring what people you don't know think of your domestic league or how you support your team, or how it markets itself on social media you don't use, and simply excising the word "cringeworthy" from your vocabulary.

It's remarkably liberating!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

It's just that their imports have all been useless or just about useless.

I applaud their commitment to reflecting local heritage by bringing in a ton of players from the Scandinavian leagues, but it's worth remembering that those leagues are, at best, a sidegrade to MLS (aside from certain overrated youth prospects in Football Manager. :colbert:).

Also I had heard Demidov was a holding midfielder in denial like a cut-price David Luiz but nope, apparently he always was a CB. And a team captain! And his team finished second in Norway last year conceding the second-fewest goals! So IDK what the gently caress happened to him in the offseason to explain this. (My guesses include "Adrian Heath is not a defensive-minded manager" and "actually the Tippeliga is Not That Good" as above).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Wow, this has been a rough week for injuries. I'm nervously eyeing the CRC-HON game hoping that the Hondurans don't take out the murderfucking they got from the USMNT on any of our Tico contingent.

Are we all going to start getting bitter and resentful about international breaks like the Euro fans do?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

You're implying there's an international break in MLS to be bitter about.

There is one. We just let teams opt out of it.

Azerban posted:

if you used canadian players, you wouldn't have problems with things like WCQ

Unfortunately the best Canadian on our team a) doesn't actually have his citizenship yet and b) is barely old enough to drive.

(I still think Teibert will come good and it looks like he'll get the chance to show it this year. Maybe under the Glorious Zambrano Junta he'll actually get MNT callups too!)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Meanwhile on the internet

The fact that they did not expect precisely this outcome this suggests that they're incompetent enough that they shouldn't get a bid.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Caps trading Manneh to Columbus for Tony Tchani and $300k in Garberbucks.

No, this is not an April Fool's joke, but that WAS my initial reaction!

Taking some time to think about it, though, Vancouver is way overstocked on wingers, Manneh is fast as gently caress but also horribly inconsistent and an iffy decision maker with glass legs, and none of that's changed in four years, his contract was up this year, and maybe Tchani can improve our central midfield or the GAM will help us get someone who can.

edit: also the heartless lizard kings in the FO got us a ton of clauses: Columbus' 1st round pick if he re-signs, GAM if he's traded within the league, and a percentage of any transfer fee if they sell him outside MLS.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 30, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

camoseven posted:

That trade seems really lopsided in Vancouver's favor

It could be a win-win move where each team is filling a weakness with a surplus player, but IDK whether Columbus actually needs someone in Manneh's role or not.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Cross St. Louis off the expansion shortlist, as voters rejected a measure to help fund a stadium.

I mean, they can get back on the list if they actually stump up an extra $60m for their own drat stadium, no?

Also re "expanding too quickly" I've always thought that was BS and Atlanta just proves my point, the only thing stopping a new MLS team from not being terrible is their own bad judgment and cheap-assery.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 8, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Atlanta is an exception

I guess we'll see tomorrow now won't we? :colbert:

whypick1 posted:

Seriously. Going back to 2005 (Chivas/RSL), each expansion team's inaugural season:

In a league where player acquisition mechanisms change at least once every goddamn year, things might possibly have changed since 2005 to influence the situation.

I mean, one could say that it's early (it is), or that they lucked out in that the international players and manager they picked out didn't flame out spectacularly, but there's nothing they they are doing that could not have been replicated by Mionnesota, or maybe NYCFC/Orlando (I'm not sure whether TAM was in place or at current levels at that time).

The competitive argument against expanding too quickly is that it dilutes the domestic talent pool. This is true for the other American sports, but soccer is different (though yes, the US/Canadian talent pool is currently loving ankle deep) because:

a) in the short run, there's an effectively limitless supply of international players capable of performing at MLS level, especially via pillaging Central and South American domestic leagues for their best non-Europe-bound players by offering More Regular Paychecks and Slightly Fewer Violent Crimes, and even without trading for slots you can build most of a starting 11 this way, which will generally be enough to Not Be Terrible if you do well at your scouting.

(admittedly the Trump Administration may complicate this plan somewhat)

b) in the long run, spreading the regional footprint of the league improves the talent pool. One of the biggest problems facing youth development in North America is i) not enough academies and youth teams finding players across our gigantic-rear end continent, and ii) most of those that exist are poorly funded (mainly because they have to rely on the players/their families for funding) and sharply limited in the players they can filter through (for the same reason). This means that they can't afford good facilities and good coaches to actually teach anything more than kick and chase, and they miss a lot of potentially good players who happen to have chosen the wrong parents or been born in the wrong part of the country.

MLS academies address ii) relatively well (though it would also help if American academies could collect training compensation/solidarity from the good players they occasionally develop), and a side benefit of expansion is addressing i) (the actual motivation is, of course, hopes of improving the TV deal.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 7, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I believe the commissioner, who is a fuckass, explicitly said in a presser, "No public funding, no accepted bid". Like...the group putting up all the money for the stadium themselves isn't good enough because it would set a precedent and we can't have that!

Huh. That's weird, Orlando paid for theirs themselves and Minnesota just got some tax breaks IIRC, so if he was afraid of setting a precedent that train has already left.. Garber has his delusions but I don't think "MLS has more leverage than the NFL" is one of them.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I'm just going to pretend this is the only thing that happened in last night's game and be much happier.

https://streamable.com/613zm

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

camoseven posted:

Wasn't Toledo reffing that match? I'm shocked he didn't give a red for that

He probably didn't see it, which means there's the slimmest possibility of the DisCo issuing a retroactive red for throwing a snowball at a defender behind the play, which would be so hilarious that I'm praying it happens.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

So if a fan yells at you and you tell him to gently caress off you get suspended. Does the fan also get a stadium ban?

Wasn't there some sort of altercation with the KC fans caught on security video? I read someone mentioning that but nobody's released the video so who the gently caress knows?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Seltzer posted:

So apparently Howard got into trouble mainly because he grabbed a fan in the tunnel post game. Well ok that's a bit much, but it begs the question why the gently caress does SKC allow fans in the tunnel at all. TBH I'd give him 1 game for what he did and I'd kick all the rich assholes out of the tunnel.

The players' union seems to agree with you.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

To be fair, Larin is only that cheap because he's on his rookie contract. If you manage to keep him, well, at least his number is going to get go way up.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Looks like David Beckham finally found his sucker big money partner:

ESPN posted:

David Beckham's goal of bringing an MLS expansion franchise to Miami is inching closer to the finish line, with banker Todd Boehly being added to his investment group, sources confirmed to ESPN FC.

(...)

Boehly is the chairman and CEO of Eldridge Industries. Boehly previously served as the head of Guggenheim Investments at Guggenheim Specialized Products, LLC, where he was responsible for the firm's asset management business. Prior to that, he also served as the President at Guggenheim Partners, where he was responsible for launching the firm's credit investing business. He remains part of the ownership group that purchased the Los Angeles Dodgers back in 2012.

Boehly joins Beckham, Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure, CEO of Oak View Group Tim Leiweke and Beckham's business partner Simon Fuller on MBU's investment team.

Assuming this isn't further bullshit they might actually pull this off and I'll finally be able to see what bizarre Brand Beckham bullshit he'll bring to his own team, years past due.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Minnesota United are becoming real boys. One of their SGs is feuding with the league because they couldn't put their logo on a joint SG banner. The logo? A loon with a Soviet hammer and they are a 'Marxist' SG.

If this means we can send like 70% of supporters' groups to gulags then I am all in favour.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Let's keep expanding when half the league is coasting on the attitude of "maybe in a decade we can sell this team and in the meantime let's do nothing to make the organization good."

Counterpoint: the expansion teams are by and large the ones that give a poo poo. Keep expanding until we have enough Actually Ambitious teams to contract DC and maybe, just maybe, you can finally be happy.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Instead of complaining that other people are posting about their teams, why not post about yours? My team made an actual Deadline Day Signing to pick up a backup striker from the A-League (of all places), so maybe Montero can rest once in a while without leaving us stuck with Erik Hurtado of all people.

Toronto chat: actually why isn't Giovinco playing? I thought you were resting him on Saturday but he didn't even make the bench last night either, and there's no news of an injury either. It's honestly kinda weird.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 11, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Well then!

(in my defense, not reading the Sun is usually one of my better decisions.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Arquebus posted:

Not really sure why that's an 'of all places', Ibini's a good lad.

(...)

anyway yeah effort-posts i guess

Honestly, thanks for this. I'm not throwing shade at the A-League (as you say that would be a very glass-houses thing to do), it's mostly just a surprise, I can't think of anyone else who's come here from the A-League besides...um, Cahill? Or was that the other way around.

He sounds like a solid rotation option (guess we'll see in the summer when he comes back?), but it's mildly funny that we got rid of Kekuta Manneh only to replace him with a guy that sounds exactly like him, but Australian.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

2 Caps youth charged with sexual assault. Dont know much more.

gently caress's sake, the kids can't score properly either.

(nobody knows much more, police and courts and media up here are notoriously (and, usually, compelled by law to be) closemouthed about youth crime, ESPECIALLY when it involves sexual assault.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Oh my word it's even better, we traded allocation money and an international roster spot to Houston for the right to use the allocation order for THIS guy.

....I didn't think it could get better than "sign a dude under a medical ban from FIFA" but by god DC Striker Signings found a way.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I still think we are. You're going to keep your coach.

I mean, I get that you guys are in the middle of an injury crisis but if Onalfo wasn't fired after Tuesday then what on earth would it take?

That said I won't believe that LA can't come back and make the playoffs like they always do until a) the transfer window closes without some big summer signing (like the rumoured Gignac bid I guess? I don't know if striker is LAG's biggest hole though, as opposed to, say, a better central midfielder than Jermaine Jones and a better keeper than Clement Diop), or b) immediately after the final whistle on October 22nd.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tigren posted:

We're on our way to being able to support pro/rel, but we're not there yet. FC Cincinnati and Sacramento Republic FC averaged 17k and 11.5k respectively last year. I think they're doing even better this year.

There are guys playing in the lower divisions that people should be excited about seeing. Young, promising academy kids, tier 2 CONCACAF players, even Didier Drogba and his weird all star team would be fun to go watch for $10-$20.

If everybody in the NASL could pull Sacramento's attendance then I'd absolutely think pro/rel would be workable (even though it is nowhere near the only way to manage "too many viable, popular teams to fit it one league"). Of course, historically MLS has just co-opted the few outlier teams in lower divisions that manage that (mine, for example). If people keep giving Their Local D2 Team a shot and liking it even though it isn't The Absolute Best In The World, I believe that MLS will continue trying to hoover up popular D2 teams in good markets until they are literally too big to logistically manage. At which point, who knows?

As for Silva, I agree with camo that he's basically just trolling - that proposed deal would come out to like $10-15m per team per year (barring further expansion), which, sure, triples the paltry amount of TV money teams currently get, but it's nothing near accounting for the financial risk of relegation, let alone the opportunity cost of breaking up the joint venture that's already produced a hell of a lot of ROI from the appreciation in franchise value, even leaving aside the revenues from SUM (mostly because nobody knows what those revenues are or where they go).

I figure anyone who actually has that kind of money to burn, isn't willing to buy into MLS and push their agenda from within the group (there are absolutely differences of opinion between the owners, as any CBA negotiation will reflect, and if expansion takes in more ambitious owners on balance vs. conservative ones - more Arthur Blanks and fewer Robert Krafts - then interesting things can happen), and wants to accomplish something rather than make a point would just force the issue and fund a competing league, honestly.

Go all AFL/ABA/WHA-But-With-Pro/Rel, outbid for player contracts, the whole shebang. Even if you don't win the day through the sheer compelling power of your Orthodox League Structure, a credible competitor to MLS could certainly draw concessions from it more readily than anything else bar maybe a credible antitrust suit. Certainly more readily than USSF action (lol, as if) or, even funnier, FIFA trying to force the issue. The fact that nobody is actually trying this is telling.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 24, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I really wish MLS/media would stop referring to allocation money as money, and instead call it what it actually is, which is "salary cap credit". SKC will have a lot of flexibility after this deal for the next couple of years, and Orlando will no longer be totally screwed if someone makes them an Offer They Can't Refuse to buy Larin this summer. We'll see who comes out better off in the long run.

Also, I'd actually forgotten that Jono Two Saints played in central midfield, but if it means they get rid of Jones then it's really like two signings. I'll be curious to see how the Galaxy make out without a Big Deal DP Striker though, that feels kind of like their thing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

As the only KC fan here, I'm pretty befuddled by the Dwyer transfer. We can't score goals on our best days and I'd have to imagine the FO has something lined up. Otherwise we're looking at a 0-0 in every game for the rest of the season. Nemeth isn't good enough and I'd hope there's some kind of big name striker on the horizon for us.

Nemeth may not be good enough but I'm pretty sure he'd still be an improvement over Dwyer, at least 2017 Dwyer.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

LA Times journo on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/890589057159385088

It would be hilariously ironic if Sigi's midseason hiring saves the Galaxy the year after Sigi's midseason firing saved the Sounders.

(though honestly signing Lodeiro saved the Sounders)

edit: oh wow, literally a year and a day after he was fired and LA play Seattle on the weekend? Who is scripting this season? I owe them a beer.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 27, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

The news keeps coming:

Aaaaand it's official:

https://twitter.com/LAFC/status/890628052463501312

Probably good that the coach is their first signing, to be honest. I feel kinda sorry for Kenwyne Jones, he was going to be The Guy and then Atlanta went and hired Tata, who brought in an army of tiny South Americans to completely upstage him.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 27, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Azerban posted:

i literally just finished watching the pilot of 21 thunder on the good old canadian broadcasting corporation, and it is in no way that much worse than dream team or club de cuervos

Even John Doyle liked it, and I'm convinced he hates all CanCon on principle and the Globe is ACTUALLY paying him to write soccer hot takes rather than TV reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

DC are hyping a new signing...:

https://twitter.com/dcunited/status/893566157533392896

...of a 19 year old Bolivian striker on loan-with-buy-option from the Chilean league, where he has made three appearance and scored zero goals.

And I thought MY team was frustrating about filling positions of need.

Also, any article that talks about MLS' revenues or business model and doesn't mention SUM (or the recent advances in sponsorship revenue from Adidas et. al) is fatally deficient. Most people believe the claims of losses are just the usual pleas of poverty you get from owners who are thinking ahead to CBA negotiations, but who really knows at this point?

• Locked thread