Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

silvergoose posted:

I would have said new england but uhhhh um.

Well the Revs did let in two silly goals based on pretty basic defensive errors, so there's that. Pretty sure my Revs are still awful, but the Loons are so much worse that we still won easily.

At the game I realized that the Revs shirt sponsor is also the reason why Minnesota's team is named United and not the Stars or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

I have seen Revs fans with "The Morgue" on the back of their Revs jersey, because, of course, they sit in The Morgue, not stand in The Fort. We don't stand and sing in The Morgue, we sit and shout out sarcastic comments at appropriate moments. I should get a Revs jersey with The Morgue on the back, and make it #11, because The Morgue is the 11th man. :tootzzz:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Wondo is the MLS store brand version so LA got like the Aldi store brand version, and the can was dented so they got another 30% off.

https://twitter.com/BenBaer89/status/854848112283848704

Edit: oops, this was already posted in the game day thread. No matter; enjoy it again.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Looks like David Beckham finally found his sucker big money partner:

Assuming this isn't further bullshit they might actually pull this off and I'll finally be able to see what bizarre Brand Beckham bullshit he'll bring to his own team, years past due.

Let me play Devil's advocate.

This will be at least the fourth potential investor that MBU has been in talks with, since choosing the Overtown location, that we know of; the other three all said 'no'.

We know that MBU has been in talks with multiple potential investors for at least a year, some of whom we don't even know the identity of.

MLS owners held a meeting this week, one item on the agenda was the Miami situation.

The timing of this is not coincidental. MLS told MBU this week: you are running out of time; show us what you got.

So, they did. And now we know who MBU is currently talking to: Todd Boehly.

Are the talks with Todd Boehly any further along than any of the previous potential investors that MBU talked to? Are the issues which caused the previous potential investors to say 'no' being dealt with, or is this simply going to be a repeat of the past three or more potential investor talks: a public announcement, followed by months of silence, with a quiet admission later, buried somewhere at the bottom of a news article, that said potential investor was no longer in talks with MBU? Because that has been the consistent pattern so far.

If a series of public announcements and public agreements are made in the coming weeks and months, then maybe something is finally happening. But if this current announcement is followed up with more silence, then who knows.

So far I don't necessarily think this is really news. Beckham has a new potential MBU investor he is talking to; but he is always talking to new potential MBU investors, so is this really news? Is this time really different? If it weren't for the MLS meeting this week we probably wouldn't even know about Todd Boehly, at all. This week's MLS meeting forced this bit of 'news' out into the open.

We shall see.

Edit to add: I realize that the story we are getting at the moment, is that Todd Boehly has been added to the MBU investment group, but neither MBU nor Todd Boehly has confirmed that yet. If this is the real deal we should get some kind of official confirmation today. If it's just more "we are working on it" then I expect we'll not get anything definite today.

Also edit to add: Forget Miami; how about a bit of humor. Saw a link to this on reddit on one of the Portland Timbers threads; it is the (unintentionally) funniest thing I've read in ages:

quote:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/apr/24/letter-bring-baseball-back-to-portland/

Letter: Bring baseball back to Portland

By John Casper, VANCOUVER

Published: April 24, 2017, 6:00 AM

Well here it is — another spring in the Vancouver-Portland area and, in years past, the Portland Beavers would have been starting a new season. But not anymore. For seven long, boring summers baseball has not been in Portland. Instead, we are forced to suffer though a foreign so-called sport where most of the time nobody wins. It saddens me to think I will never be able to take my kids or grandkids to another Beaver baseball game. I also feel sorry for the kids who will never get to see a AAA baseball team in Portland.

My hope is that someday the Timbers will go to Europe, were they belong, and our Portland Beavers will return to Portland, where they belong. I live and hope for that day.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 27, 2017

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

The Rowdies stadium vote in St. Petersburg passed by something like an 88/12 margin, so we can probably pencil them in for an MLS slot unless the owners decide that Bill Edwards is just too litigious to run a team in MLS.

He'll play nice in MLS. He even has a new pacemaker to keep time to.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Bob Bradley wasn't really to blame for the dumpster fire that was Chivas USA; but still, a funny one for those of us who have been around long enough to actually remember that this league used to have a team called Chivas USA...seems like only yesterday...

quote:

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/curre...ming-chivas-usa

Chivas USA Replacement Team Hires Former Chivas USA Coach In Effort To Avoid Becoming Chivas USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Flags Of The World posted:

At least I was conveniently reminded by my email this afternoon that the Revs are doing the "Force you to renew your season tickets a month before the end of the season" game this year.

[strokes beard] Hmmm...Revs season tickets renewing automatically this year...and coincidentally, no talk about a new stadium. Really makes you think.

quote:

The funny thing is that if you only ever watched them at home, you'd think they were a good and fun and competitive team. I think I might take the risk that I won't "have access to my seat location for the 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs" this time.

That's my policy. Go to home games at Gillette, and don't watch Revs away games. It keeps the illusion alive that the Revs might actually be a halfway decent team.

• Locked thread