Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

here's hoping this year's final isn't Literally The Worst Game I've Ever Seen, Ever, like last year's was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Star Man posted:

The Rapids would have to win the league first before being the Leicester City of MLS. But that was your point: we're members of a pretty dumb fan base.

2010, my friend.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Hello Towel posted:

Schweinsteiger to Chicago is finally official.

Seriously?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Looks like Kansas City is well on schedule for jumping out to the top of the conference in the spring, then inexplicably collapsing and backing into the playoffs in sixth place again. Consistency!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Off the field and behind the scenes he did good work. On the field...not so much.

He does look a little too old to keep pace with the rest of the league.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

It does seem like we've had more high scoring games than usual.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

As the only KC fan here, I'm pretty befuddled by the Dwyer transfer. We can't score goals on our best days and I'd have to imagine the FO has something lined up. Otherwise we're looking at a 0-0 in every game for the rest of the season. Nemeth isn't good enough and I'd hope there's some kind of big name striker on the horizon for us.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

bewbies posted:

ahem

(they'll sign mmmbop)

Diego Costa's on his way out of Chelsea, right???

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The RSL local guys are the worst, without question.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

bewbies posted:

"the internet" suggests SKC might be in on aron johnansson. it won't happen but if it did happen that'd be pretty awesome.

Oh god I forgot about him.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'd laugh at this but the last time I made fun of an old guy signing, it was Schweinsteiger and it actually worked out

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Up the sportings, etc. This will make our first round playoff exit more palatable, again.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

They're consistently Good. Is that more or less frustrating?

I mean, I guess I should appreciate what I have. It's the same as being a Chiefs fan over the last couple years. It does feel like the FO uses our minor successes as an excuse not to invest in the team sometimes though.

This has been a cool season. I was skeptical of Atlanta getting the expansion but they've built a team the right way and the city seems to accept the club.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The west is going to be really interesting in the last couple weeks. I think Portland/Seattle/KC are probably safe but pretty much anybody else could snap up those last two playoff spots. Except LA haha

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Kill the MLS2 teams. Grow the sport either by affiliate program (DC-Richmond has been mutually beneficial) or by just loaning players.

If we’re giving all of USSF a rethink, let’s loving rethink it.

Swope Park has been great for KC and we've already signed quite a few players from there. It's not all bad.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

MLS is fine

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It worked for Japan, and South Korea despite the similar lack of soccer culture in those countries.

Those leagues don't attract the same kinds of big ("big") name players that MLS fans are crying out for. I'll admit that their national teams have done very well, albeit in a confederation possibly even worse than CONCACAF

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I agree that I'm not thrilled to see old guys, but I think the majority of MLS fans get excited about seeing Villa, Schweinsteiger, etc. Beckham barely played and he managed to bring more attention and fan excitement than the league had ever seen before. The league is always going to listen to those fans, especially when they're the ones buying tickets and absurdly expensive shirts. The US is a unique place in how loving big we are geographically and how many sports are ahead of soccer on the pecking order. I really don't think that copying other leagues is a recipe for success because of that. MLS isn't perfect but it has to find its own way forward. Looking to someplace like Japan or even England would be a disaster, largely because pro/rel would 100% kill fan interest in the league, and fan engagement is ultimately the most important thing. No fans, no league; no league, no national team development.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Look at the ratings for when small-market teams make MLS Cup, like KC vs. RSL a couple years ago. Imagine those ratings when MLS Cup is Casper, Wyoming vs. Edmond, Oklahoma. I know ratings aren't everything but I'm happy with a system that ensures teams come from cities with people in them

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

bewbies posted:

this

I was at the first "Kansas City Wiz" game in 1996. It was played in a big mudhole half empty NFL stadium and the teams best player was a guy from zimbabwe named digital. also, the team's name was "The Wiz".

I love the Wiz and I have a Kansas City Wiz bumper sticker. Fight me

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Man it feels weird to have ownership using our silly-rear end shorthand - especially to reporters who don't get it.

Honestly, done right Austin COULD be another Portland, but this dude ain't gonna do it right.

We don't need more Texas teams.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Atlanta is getting the All-Star Game, to the shock of basically no one.

I hate that they try to hype it up as a big announcement. Nobody cares about the ASG anymore and we all knew what they were gonna say as soon as we learned it would be announced in Atlanta.

I'm just mad because MLS sent a push notification to my phone for this poo poo.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

gently caress, they may be putting one of the conference semifinal matches on Halloween. Why the gently caress would you do that?

think of the tifos tho

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bill Hamid to Midtjylland is a done deal. Bill Hamid to never having a chance with the US national team is also a done deal

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

We Don't Need More California Teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Let's just move San Jose's rights to Sacramento, give the expansion spots to Cincy and Nashville (or don't expand) and then lol at Detroit in general, a city that will have 30 people living in it by the time the team would get off the ground

• Locked thread