Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

I hope that the signs are good and the Fire turn things around a bit this year. If nothing else I'm going to be in Toronto when they play there so I get to be contrarian for a day. :toot:

We will be better this year. How much better...I don't know. But this is the first time I've been excited about a Fire offseason in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Schweinsteiger to Chicago is finally official.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Yup. There are legitimate questions whether that money would be better used to shore up a pretty bad back line. But he's been one of my favorite players for a long time so I'm personally pretty pumped.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

quote:

In Wednesday’s postgame locker room, Nikolic was asked if he’d been surprised by his fast start in MLS.
“No,” answered Nikolic. “Are you?”

Nemanja Nikolic is the Best Forward in MLS Right Now

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

I love my NASL 2016 Runners-Up Indy 'Masters of the Draw' Eleven, whom should I root for in the MLS? I want to watch more soccer now to go along with the absolute poo poo that is Reds baseball

I'm from Indiana and I've been a Chicago Fire fan since the team was founded. Come join me.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Tonight's Brimstone Cup game should be a good one. It's the first time in quite a while that both Chicago and Dallas have been doing well at the same time.

Also, bring back the Burn.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Fire.... good?

:getin:

I just know that we have to drop points at some point soon and I hope the team doesn't tailspin after a streak like this.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I'm happy that Dax got called up the USMNT again, but the prospect of either moving Polster up from RB or starting Juninho again is not good.

On another note, is anyone planning on going to the All-Star Game? I just got my tickets.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I'm at a software conference in Chicago starting today. Is there a good bar near the Mile-High Marriott where I can watch the Sounders game?

The Globe is better, but Fado is closer to you.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Front page article on Fire supporters in the Tribune today. About time we get some recognition.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-fire-fans-section-8-spt-0630-20170629-story.html

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Azerban posted:

Montreal and Chicago.

actually, no

I mean I'm resigned to the fact that Schweinsteiger will be out there and I'm just praying he won't get hurt.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

It's July, the Fire are in first place, and the city is finally talking about the team. :D

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It helps that both baseball teams are abject poo poo right now

At least in the case of my White Sox, the shittiness is purposeful.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Twitter is claiming Quintero to Chicago is impending. That would be a surprise to me, considering almost all reports had him going elsewhere. But I guess that's what happened with Schweinsteiger too.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire have been absurdly lucky so far this season. Without Dax, this team is god-awful. So much for that first place.

No matter how many games we won, I still got that imposter syndrome feeling that we shouldn't be even sniffing first place. And this loss to loving NYC proves it.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The All Star Game is objectively silly, but I'm still pretty excited to go tonight. Tailgating on the lake is always fun.

And, of course, just in time for the spotlight to shine on the city and the club, the Fire have reverted back to their old ways of shooting themselves in the collective genitals. Accam is likely going to Turkey after a falling out with Paunovic. :rolleyes:

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 2, 2017

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Anyone from Vancouver want to tell me about Christian Dean? Wasn't he a high draft pick? Why hasn't he done much in MLS?

I mean, we have two really good centerbacks already so he should just be depth, but I'm curious.

threeagainstfour posted:

Almost as stupid as we were to sign him in the first place :(

I was so mad about the "blind draw" and all the weird crap surrounding Jones coming to MLS. I'm kinda glad the Fire dodged that bullet, in retrospect.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 10, 2017

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Words about Christian Dean

Thanks for the info. Like I said, he's almost definitely a depth signing.

It feels nice to be able to take a chance on someone like that as a second- or third-string player rather than desperately signing other teams' castoffs and hoping they'll magically pan out as starters. What a difference a year makes.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire apparently signed Richard Sanchez, a former FC Dallas homegrown and Mexico U-17 goalkeeper, from Tigres. Better than broken-rear end Bava, I suppose.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire are in the playoffs for the first time since 2012 :yaycloud:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Popero posted:

Jesus that is depressing

It absolutely is! And my dumb rear end bought season tickets every year anyway.

E: and tbf we should have been in the playoffs in 2013 (the year of Mike Magee) but a bunch of dumb poo poo happened on the last day of the season

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 28, 2017

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

TheBoyBlunder posted:

The Rapids are a terrible team and played a terrible game last night. (Repeat 4 more times for the remaining four games this year) They are also finally mathematically eliminated. About time.

Meanwhile Rapids #9 Kevin Doyle is retiring from soccer due to concussion problems. team announcement that doesn't say concussion problems

Kevin Doyle's announcement that actually says concussion problems.

With all the poo poo going on with the NFL and CTE, I really wonder sometimes how much terrible stuff might come out in the future about our sport/league and concussions.

I know there's been some concern about children and heading the ball, and there's been accusations that pro teams haven't handled concussion protocols well, but nothing as systemic as what's going on in other sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Michael de Leeuw has been diagnosed with a torn ACL. There goes any tiny hope Chicago had in the playoffs. He was a really underrated but essential part of the attack.

• Locked thread