Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They were probably yelling "Puto!" on when the opposing keeper were taking goal kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

They should yell, "You suck! rear end in a top hat!" It has a nice cadence.

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status/841346864674922497

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/841730807949611009

highme
May 25, 2001

I am liberated!

highme
May 25, 2001

It's way better than the guy with a custom Timbers kit that is the number 7 with "TD MAN U" as the player name, or the guy with "IMPEACH 45".

highme
May 25, 2001

That guy was on Twitter the first couple of Timbers MLS seasons as @timberssuck. He deleted his account, but I'm happy to see he's still out there yelling at clouds.

highme
May 25, 2001

At some point in the last year I discovered that Facebook Messenger filters out certain messages and found these in the "Filtered" folder. I think he had commented on an article a friend had shared and I felt like loving with him in the comments. I'm a little upset he correctly spells "foreign" now instead of "foregin" like in the past.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

highme
May 25, 2001

Reposting this from the the Oregoons thread because this is loving hysterical. "Conservative sports radio host", Dino Costa, has been in Portland for 2 weeks on the station that is the official Timbers broadcast partner. Since I don't pay gently caress all attention to sports radio, I missed out on some of this dude's greatest hits. Apparently he claimed that Portland was going to adapt to him, not the other way around. Last weekend was the TA pride tifo and apparently it triggered him.

He goes from this...
https://twitter.com/DINOCOSTARADIO/status/874765468480946176

to this
https://twitter.com/DINOCOSTARADIO/status/875050251115274243

in less than a day.

highme
May 25, 2001

Correct

highme
May 25, 2001

Sunday's Timbers/Sounders has been rescheduled from 1:00 to 7:30pm due to forecast hot as balls temps (99° according to my weather app).

I for one am very happy about this. My section would be in direct sunlight for the entire time we're in there. It's loving miserable.

highme
May 25, 2001

Free Dan Kennedy

highme
May 25, 2001

Although I didn't get to watch the match because I was selling beer tickets, a point in Texas in July is more than I expected.

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Hey Portland fans, do you remember this guy at all? From what I can see he's a depth player with little time as a professional and not much to show. Classic Rapids signing.

https://twitter.com/MLSTransfers/status/891364459482161152

Fochive was relatively solid for a depth midfielder. I don't think anybody here wanted him to go, but he and the team parted ways so he could get playing time.

highme fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 30, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

Apparently a whole bunch of San Francisco cocksuckers in this thread never watched Deadwood.

highme
May 25, 2001

This is some good shade

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status/894588989637668864

highme
May 25, 2001

This is some bantz
https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/907065107061993472

highme
May 25, 2001

eh... I think it's a @dog_rates "they're good dogs, bront" reference, but... I was high

highme
May 25, 2001

I am very happy that Valeri was able to set the record for scoring in 8 consecutive matches with a real pretty headed goal against Rimando.

highme
May 25, 2001

El Jebus posted:

He has 5! I forget where I read that, though.

It was mentioned on the broadcast.

highme
May 25, 2001

Timbers signed an actual 5 year old to play keeper, if that makes you feel any better.

It should because it was a Make A Wish thing
http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/sports/timbers-sign-5-year-old-goalkeeper-grant-article-1.3514405

highme fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 23, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

Quick poll, who do you think deserves league MVP over Valeri?

highme
May 25, 2001

camoseven posted:

Josef Martinez

C'mon, I was expecting serious replies, like VAR.

highme
May 25, 2001

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Victor Vasquez or Gio

Valeri's stats are less impressive because the West is an absolute loving dumpster this year.

Agreed, but he's scored in 9 straight while our target striker has been injured, and those games have moved us from the middle of the garbage west to the top.

Also, I will absolutely admit I'm biased as gently caress.

highme
May 25, 2001

Hello Towel posted:

I know there's been some concern about children and heading the ball, and there's been accusations that pro teams haven't handled concussion protocols well, but nothing as systemic as what's going on in other sports.

Went to watch a friend's son's U-11 game a few weeks ago. Any heading of the ball resulted in an indirect free kick. At U-12s they can head the ball. 6-10 years ago when my kids were U-11s, they could head the ball whenever they wanted.

Nobody that I know, seem to know the results of the lawsuit (English) Eddie Johnson filed against the Timbers back in 2012-13ish. Like it was settled quietly and nobody from the FO has let it slip.

highme
May 25, 2001

Kids should be playing futsal (or other small sided games) way more than they're currently playing outdoor.

highme
May 25, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

I think there are rules that allow American players to make more than others in MLS?

Nah, a team can only have so many international players. Other than that American & foreign born players are pretty much treated the same in the MLS Calvinball Rulebook Bonanza.

highme
May 25, 2001

MLS adjacent Portland Thorns beat NC Courage for the NWSL championship today 1-0. It wasn't a terribly attractive game unless you like hard challenges & refs who are afraid to card stars early.

highme
May 25, 2001

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It's my biggest problem with refereeing. The idea that a foul isn't a yellow or red in the first minute, but is one in the 70th. It drives me absolutely nuts.

Tobin should have had a yellow in the 2nd minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJl2pUjx_UU&t=25s

wicka posted:

I just watched the highlights clip NWSL posted, it was seven minutes long and a six and a half minutes of it was yellow card-worthy fouls.

yup

Also, at least 2 members of the broadcast team referred to Taylor Smith as Taylor Swift.

highme fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 15, 2017

highme
May 25, 2001

whypick1 posted:

Social media interns are one of the best things about this league:

https://twitter.com/RealSaltLake/status/919692591234347008

That's loving great, but probably not an intern.

highme
May 25, 2001

Akileese posted:

I don't think a team has ever relocated

The current team in Houston was originally the San Jose Earthquakes.

highme
May 25, 2001

whypick1 posted:

Hey, here's something about this league that's not another loving pro/rel argument: Manchester Yankees probably playing in the Mets' stadium for the playoffs. Avoided only if NYC gets the #2 seed (could happen) or the Yankees don't make it to the World Series (please happen, because gently caress the Yankees).

One of my biggest fears about the playoffs is that the Cup Final could be held at Yankee stadium. Games there are loving horrid to watch. I doubt Shea (is it still called Shea?) Stadium is much better.

highme
May 25, 2001

bewbies posted:

this

I was at the first "Kansas City Wiz" game in 1996. It was played in a big mudhole half empty NFL stadium and the teams best player was a guy from zimbabwe named digital. also, the team's name was "The Wiz".

One of the women that plays in a different division on our regular futsal night has an old school Wiz jersey she wears all of the time. I love it.

I also think the Sporting KC rebrand was a good move.

highme
May 25, 2001

The current top 3 teams from the East are guaranteed to host if they make it.

quote:

the finalist with the highest regular-season point total hosts MLS Cup

Also, I should unequivocally state for the record; gently caress Vancouver.

highme
May 25, 2001

I guess I don't really get why it's so important that "American soccer" becomes some great thing. I don't care much for MLS but it's the league my preferred team plays in.

I don't care if we "develop" USMNT players that can compete with the best "footballing" nations regularly. So I'm completely ok with MLS becoming a league for the Not Quite Good Enough Central & South Americans.

Like this guy...
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/10/18/best-portlands-diego-valeri-goals-highlights-and-skills?autoplay=true

highme
May 25, 2001

This loving guy

quote:

“Our kickoffs are at 7:30 p.m. I see people hanging out on Rainey Street or walking around Sixth Street at night. It’s not too hot and humid for them.”

highme
May 25, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What if we did the best of both worlds and potentially had like, an American version of a popular Mexican soccer club in MLS

Xolos almost fill that niche.

highme
May 25, 2001

whypick1 posted:

Surrender Cobra Dracula, make it happen MLS.

Also, way to not post this stuff in the playoffs thread.

Surrender Cobra Commander would be better.

highme
May 25, 2001

In the USL era the Timbers would have regular "Bark in the Park" nights. It wouldn't be possible to do it for Timbers or Thorns games but there was one night you could bring your dog to a Timbers2 match this year. Attendance was way up that night.

highme
May 25, 2001

Ok folks that pay better attention to NASL. Are there any reasons that I would not want Giovanni Saravese as the new coach for the Timbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

shoplifter posted:

Hahahaha Precourt about to get BTFO based on what I just heard

Bought the gently caress out?

• Locked thread