Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
WELCOME TO MLS, WHERE THE RULES ARE MADE UP, THE POINTS DON'T MATTER, EVERYONE'S NAME IS UNITED, AND IF YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN A FRANCHISE YET, UPDATE YOUR APP

It's Thursday, March 2, 2017, and tomorrow begins the 22nd Major League Soccer season, the top mens' league in the US and Canada. 22 years means 22 teams: Welcome Minnesota United Sort of Promoted (I've heard "fauxmotion" for this but would like to propose "Cascadia promoted") and Atlanta United We Got the Unused 2006 Metrostars Jerseys. Third year Orlando are about to open their own stadium, new sponsorship money is rolling in from Target (plus, like, real merchandise available there), the chicks have a big tv deal, and Pringles are now the Official Snack Food. Our little leagues just keep growing!

And the Philadelphia Union are a team that exists.

WHAT'S AT STAKE

Trophies and tournaments to be won, besides MLS Cup: CONCACAF Champions League (er, places to play that next year 'cause uh), Multilevel Marketing Canadian Championship, Supporters' Shield, US Open Cup.

All-Star Game is in Chicago (Soldier Field, not Toyota) with opponent TBD.

CONCACAF and CONMEBOL have World Cup qualifiers so expect callups for that. Also christ another goddamned Gold Cup.

WHAT'S ON TV

Nationally, Fox networks, ESPN networks, Univision networks, and TSN/RDS networks. Don't speak Spanish for Univision? They're doing an SAP English audio option, although you miss a lot of fun of inane Spanish language chatter and player middle names. How you get those channels is up to you, your cable/satellite/internet provider, and your favorite computer herpes-riddled pirate stream site.

Locally and online, MLS Live, which is traditionally a free preview over opening weekend.

League TV and streaming schedule with instructions on how to use SAP

SHOULD I GET MLS LIVE?

If you only care about your team, and you have cable, your team gets a lot of national coverage, and/or your team's local feed is blacked out, no. If you are a giant nerd--which you are, because this is MLS--and you like to watch any old game that's on, you're a cord-cutter, or you're a big fantasy player, yes.

You won't get any Fox, ESPN, Univision games on it, and a few teams still black out games that are covered locally, but otherwise, I'm a fan.

SHOULD I GO TO A GAME?

Hell yes.

If you've got an MLS, NASL, NWSL, USL, PDL, NCAA, etc team in your area, get out to a game if at all possible. It ain't gonna be Bayern Munich vs Barcelona, but you'll have a good time and meet fun people. Likewise, if there's folks in your neighborhood who meet up at a bar for viewing parties, drop on by. The best way to experience American soccer is to show up and have a good time.

WHAT'S IN THIS THREAD

News, views, discussion, running jokes, and CascadiaChat about MLS. Probably gonna see some NWSL. NASL/USL/PDL, the lower divisions, get their own thread. NCAA soccer chat--Tomorrow's Draft Picks and Waiver Claims Today!--might show up in the fall, might not. Why MLS is/is not bad, why Europe/Latin America is better, why don't we have promotion/relegation, and what expansion means to you are definitely new and exciting topics we're all dying to hear about.

Live weekly or monthly in-game threads for your game day OH loving HELL commentary will be posted separately.

Fantasy league is here: Nobody cares about your fantasy team

REFERENCES: MLS AIN'T JUST A LEAGUE, IT'S A DEGREE

Boys
Girls
Schedule, boys
Schedule, girls
Transactions
Du Nord, Soccer Insider, The Equalizer
and everybody's on twitter, instagram, snapchat these days for your social media needs

The coolers are packed. The jerseys are bought. The banners are painted. The mohawks are bleached. The chainsaws and muskets are oiled. The cannons are loaded. The stars have aligned. Let us celebrate the opening of the 2017 MLS season with the adding of chocolate to milk and the team intros and running jokes to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

The lesson here is never, ever let Toronto near MLS Cup

MERRY MLSMAS :toot:

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

"Extreme weather" lmao, there's like 2 inches of snow on the ground for fucks sake.

It's not the snow--one of the Revs' best playoff games looked like it does outside now--it's that whole "10 degrees F at kickoff plus 20mph winds" thing. I'm disappointed, because I really liked the idea of making Kaká-less Florida Team play in that, but I know it's an expensive pain in the rear end to postpone. It wasn't like they asked Alexa for a weather report and decided "meh, not feelin' it." Waiting to hear back if I should take the pennants for tomorrow and just scribble in the new date with a sharpie.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

Well the Revs did let in two silly goals based on pretty basic defensive errors, so there's that. Pretty sure my Revs are still awful, but the Loons are so much worse that we still won easily.

At the game I realized that the Revs shirt sponsor is also the reason why Minnesota's team is named United and not the Stars or whatever.

The number of people who had Bobby Shuttleworth as the Revs MOTM yesterday

• Locked thread