Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tigren posted:

It's totally mind boggling that Adrian Heath and Ben Olsen continue to be head coaches for MLS teams, but Mike Petke is stuck with Real Monarchs.

He gets a lot of support from this weird cadre of fans. Unfortunately those fans include "the blog that got other bloggers, fan photographers and podcast personalities banned from taking photos or doing interviews at the stadium (or even being in the stadium)," "the one journalist that writes about the team for a professional newspaper," and "the pre-2000 era 'capos' that feel that Olsen is special for being around so long and by association so are they."

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Soccer fans, especially members of Supporter's groups, deserve abuse IMO. They are, generally speaking, really embarrassing and hugely annoying.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let's keep expanding when half the league is coasting on the attitude of "maybe in a decade we can sell this team and in the meantime let's do nothing to make the organization good."

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So D.C. United is chasing deJong and have already failed (according to sources which are probably true) to get their South American primary target. We're also going to lose the bid for Nemeth and Olsson from the British fart league.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Barron doesn't read these forums idiots

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

highme posted:

Quick poll, who do you think deserves league MVP over Valeri?

Victor Vasquez or Gio

Valeri's stats are less impressive because the West is an absolute loving dumpster this year.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

highme posted:

Agreed, but he's scored in 9 straight while our target striker has been injured, and those games have moved us from the middle of the garbage west to the top.

Also, I will absolutely admit I'm biased as gently caress.

Yea, he's moved them up to what would be 6th in the East. That's assuming a hypothetical situation where they were allowed to compete for Eastern conference playoff positions with Western Conference opponents. In reality if they were in the East then Portland likely wouldn't even be in the playoffs right now.

Toronto has been uniformly good this year, and their consistency has to come from somewhere and someone or maybe two someones. These guys are sitting on 2.0 ppg or more 31 games into the season. That is really good and frankly it would be a huge strike against the league to award the prize to someone from another club.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 25, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

MLS today is not MLS of 2002 ok and that's part of the problem. Playing on dirt pitches and not being seen on TV probably bred character in players back then.

This league has increasingly become pretend and make believe. It's NOT a good league. Even the best venues are just OK and that includes DC's very mediocre new stadium with small capacity. Very few of our best players could make it in the top 8-9 leagues. The league has been losing in the realm of TV and is more expensive to view online. The quality of play has simply not improved in the last 5 years. We've stagnated and on top of that the design of the league creates weakness and calls it a stength (parity). The fact that LA is last place right now isn't a strength. It shows that the design of the league is faulty and ownership groups incompetent.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

That wasn't the direct point I was trying to make. I was just saying that the existence of the league itself didn't make the players pool worse. You could definitely say that the way the league is run now doesn't help.

I was agreeing and piling on

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Red Bull Arena is an absolutely fantastic stadium to watch a match in and it's always half empty.

10000 people is still a pretty good number for the caliber of play MLS produces.

It's in harrison, the ghetto and hard to get to. Also the quality of their play has been mediocre even in this bad league

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's both a structural and an 'Americans prefer other sports' problem. You can't passively wait for this young, non-white tide to suddenly crash onto the scene and make soccer popular. People prefer international soccer because the players are good and quality of play is high. MLS has literally not gotten better in over 5 years. It's the same quality on the pitch and for huge stretches arguably worse. The Western Conference for example is a complete dumpster fire and worse than the MLS of over a decade ago, easily. How can this be explained? Parity is praised when in fact it is the supreme indicator of institutional failure. Why is the superdraft a joke now? Why are academies a fart in the wind? etc. etc. etc. etc.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nirwad he was, in a convoluted manner, speaking about international soccer leagues (the Premiere League) and how even that is probably lower than NHL viewership. Or maybe he meant MLS? I don't know, I am pretty sure when you combine canadian and US viewership MLS is smoked by NHL so it wouldn't make sense

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I was going to post that fancy, almost exactly that, how DC is basically symbolic of the poo poo we're in right now, but you nailed it.

Take a look at the poo poo we have to deal with in MLS and American soccer generally. Columbus Crew have a roster of Higuain and a bunch of lovely garbage trash that no one on Earth cares about. DC United has Bill Hamid and no one cares about him. Many of us wish he actually takes a job with a team overseas and stops wasting his time here. Probably 90-95% of MLS fans couldn't name a player on Philly or Vancouver right now.

That's the state of MLS. Garbage on top of garbage on top of why the gently caress is Jeff Larentowicz still playing. But hey, people should be willing to spend money to watch Colorados amazing lineup of Aigner (who?) Ford (who?) Burling (Who?) Saeid (who?) Serna (who?) Azira (who?) play

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 11, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Moving this text to keep up

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 11, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nah it's not that deep or talented. You could run through most of the league quickly to see see entire rosters are garbage, there are teams with a few, select talented players and then a big drop for the rest or teams with no bench at all.

Piling onto the league a bit more, what the league has gotten better at overall is pretending. Coaches are better at dressing up like good coaches in good leagues. Supporters are getting better at pretending to be the homegrown and old school supporters we've come to romanticize elsewhere. Stadiums are built on the cheap, with low capacity and never fill. Players sport haircuts of foreign league players and we've mimicked pre and post game rituals of other leagues. However what happens in between all of that on the pitch is really not much better than 2007.

If things were so good and teams so deep and talented right now then teams wouldn't be wildly moving up and down the ranks and entire divisions taking turns being utter garbage. We wouldn't be recalling our players from overseas in a desperate bid to sell jerseys for Colorado (Howard) or toronto (bradley). No, it's all an illusion for the purposes of creating MLS.com articles about how this league is a "top ten" league now and how some player somewhere agrees (maybe it's Henry or Rooney this time). Yet sales are not rising as expected nor viewership and in title matches has declined or stagnated for years overall. With no World Cup the boost isn't going to come and we will see additional suffering rather than real growth.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 11, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

We are getting billionaires doing just that it's just that we're getting the dumb as poo poo billionaires or ones that care very little and not the ones we need. Thohir, al Mubarak, Li, the combined ownership of LAFC, and even Da Silva is worth 600 million. Arthur Blank is another and probably the only competent billionaire or near billionaire running a team.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

[quote="“Dirk Pitt”" post="“477270697”"]
You’d be wrong here. He wasn’t perfect but he had a plan that was cut way short.

I’d blame Gulati and the US Soccer board before I blamed the first head coach with an actual idea of what US Soccer can change to get better.
[/quote]

This result is the ultimate redemption of Jurgen. The guy was right and everyone around him was wrong

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

First, None of the US or MLS academies right now are any good. As far as I am concerned they are again a front or an illusion to make us seem like we're trying to be competitive globally. We aren't.

Second, making this about rich or spoiled people is pretty stupid. The same can be said for other sports like hockey or golf or tennis or whatever but we produce good players in those sports. The issue isn't rich or poor, spoiled or not but serious about being competitive or not. Not just competitive for winning stupid high school or college trophies but to become a professional player. It doesn't feel to me that players are trying to be the best they can to one day be scouted professionally in lower age group soccer. It absolutely feels that way in lower age group baseball, football, hockey and basketball. It somewhat feels like that only on the "under-xx USMNT" squads but barely but by that point kids are already 16-21 years old and just getting nods professionally or internationally (i.e. way later than other countries)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

[quote="“Dallan Invictus”" post="“477274187”"]
I agree with this but bewbies is right that “just go to Europe” cannot be a large-scale answer. Honestly it is fixable though (at least in high school - the NCAA is a huge obstacle but on the other hand they barely care about soccer so maybe they can be pushed to behave or at least nudged out of the picture). There’s nothing inherent to high schools that means they can train decent football or basketball players but not soccer players, it’s about the coaches that are available to one sport vs. the other.

Part of that is about the relative status of the sports in America but there are still levers here for the federation. Subsidise good coaching training, make it more accessible and cheaper.
[/quote]

It's a weird situation in US soccer where professional coaching is almost uniformly a disaster and low quality and at the college ranks there is the illusion of decent coaching because 7 schools get all the good players and win by virtue of beating scrubs.

It's a serious problem that we're turning to ex-mls players as coaches when they are not competent, since we can't attract good coaches in our major league.

At he higher levels, that is college and MLS, coaching is a disaster and training isn't going to help the likes of Sasha at UMD or Olsen/Yallop/etc

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

[quote="“bewbies”" post="“477274670”"]
I have no idea why you’d think that talented young soccer players in the US aren’t serious about the sport. the problem isn’t their desire to be good, the problem is that there isn’t anywhere they can go on this continent to become good.
[/quote]

Interacting with top soccer players at a top ranked soccer school, listening to players who came from lower levels of play in other countries in interviews or TV segments like those on GolTV or Bein . Again you're right they have no where to go but there are so many more problems. A lot of people think making chump change in MLS isn't worth it when even a normal job pays more or offers more security or grad school is a better option. How many players have retired or skipped the draft to go to school or passed on the draft for medical school or to go to another sport something like that? It's not simply there is no where to go it's just that there are better places to go then there for their life.

When I look at our under-XX squads it doesn't look or feel like the youth squads of other leagues. It just doesn't. It doesn't feel competitive to be great and play for high end teams but simply to achieve goals within those levels of play (ie the major goal is to win the NCAA championship rather than to become a pro player). It looks and feels like 2 or so guys who stand out a bit barely and the rest are straight up anonymous. It's really just a feeling like how I feel DC United isn't serious about rebuilding but just wants to flip the team for profit after building the stadium at a buzzard point.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 11, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So no Kaka and no Pirlo in MLS next year. Looking pretty thin on anyone worth getting a jersey for. Not many aging thirty something players left to dominate mls backlines nowadays

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'd think you would be happy about this but I should probably know better.

At least we had the coattails of aging respected players to sell merch on. Now we don’t even have that

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Try to wrap your mind around the 65 goal differential difference between Toronto and DC United

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I watched a stream of downtown Austin where hundreds of craft beer toting yuppies watched swallows flying under a bridge. In other words it’s infinitely better than a Columbus for an MLS team.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 19, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Really though mistakes of this league need to be undone and frankly that means finding better places for teams than salt lake, Colorado and Columbus. Sorry guys

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

wicka posted:

If only there were a league structure that could help determine which cities and clubs deserved to be in the top tier...

One that could actually be implemented... hmm... no idea sorry.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The only reason outside country size, relative interest in the sport, financial interests and entanglements, fickle fans who haven’t supported a club for 80 years not sticking around after relegation, having big city teams get relegated because we’re a dumb league of bad coaches and players and gaining poo poo markets to promotion.

It’s like saying you can build a new Hollywood all you have to do is mimic what they did and it’ll all work out

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Go form a petition and get like 2000 people to sign it. I’m sure garber and his crew will wipe their rear end with your ideas so I don’t even see the point of working outside the current system to improve things

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

You know what if we didn’t get a stadium together, even for the purposes of flipping the team, or failed to attract these unscrupulous as gently caress and disinterested billionaires to help keep the doors open I would not have been surprised at all if DC United were relocated. I half expected it for years anyway

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

G-Hawk posted:

Good point, for many teenagers going to college is probably more realistic and a better outcome than becoming a professional soccer player.

Although I think portland is considered one of the shittier in MLS

They are all poo poo. All of them

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

And yet they're still a better route to developing into a professional soccer player than the NCAA.

Yes

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

He’s not an idiot for wanting to leave he’s just a bad person for how he’s going about it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Also how many dumb people opposed to Austin were wrong about Atlanta. Show of dumb hands.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

MLS carries over red card suspensions to the next season right? Assuming no playoffs

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

We need a Crew/Houston Cup final so we can fail to break 400k viewers for the cup final for the first time

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It’s so cool that we have to wait so long after the season for the playoffs to conclude and cup match. Would be interested to know what percentage of MLS viewers are totally tuned out or don’t know when the loving thing is even going to happen as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So he made a mistake Jesus Christ get a grip. Tweets are loving stupid anyway

• Locked thread