Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
(jump to votecount)

(source)
This is an old story.

A long, long time ago, dragons ruled the land. They were as capricious as they were cruel; each dragon lorded over their domain like a tyrant, treating every creature beneath them as a slave to their whims and desires. It was from this era we have the abominable saying: "a dragon does what he can, and the weak suffer what they must."
One such dragon - Khaz Gebsi - had a love for gold which could never be satisfied. He traveled from every coast in the Morze, stealing what treasure he could (and destroying what treasure he couldn't). Some say he even killed other dragons - seven of them - such was his lust for all things that glittered and gleamed. His journey finished deep in the deserts of Charnaz when he discovered a lode in a mountain alongside an oasis. He ordered his followers to empty the mine stone by stone until every shred of gold was in his scaly grasp.
So they mined. Generations passed, and still they mined. An entire town grew around the oasis to feed and serve the workers, a mixture of lizard and human stock, and still they mined. Gebsi had finally met his match - his indomitable greed had discovered a seemingly never-ending source of gold, which drove him to madness. As his trove grew larger and larger, he became more and more paranoid that others would steal his wealth. He murdered all his guards and withdrew into his cache, never again to leave.
Some say he imagined a thief in his chambers, and he breathed fire at his phantom bandit. Some say it was a flow of lava, bubbling forth from the earth suddenly. Some say it was only a small tremor, and in his terror he blew fire every which way. Perhaps even it was his own madness that convinced him to die rather than live and see himself despoiled. Whatever happened, Gebsi's hoard became his tomb. He melted every coin and nugget and ingot into a bubbling aureal sea as his cave collapsed around him, burying him and returning his riches from whence they came.
Thus ends the story of Khaz Gebsi the Greedy.
But it was not the end of all stories. In his furious demise he triggered a small earthquake, which collapsed his mighty mine. A dozen of his miners found themselves trapped deep in their own channels... and surrounded by their latest excavation. Come morning, they were still trapped, only... one of the miners was murdered. The miners had to figure out among themselves who was a violent killer, and bring them to justice.

So the story goes, at least.

(source) ........................................................................................................................................................................................................... (source)

Welcome to this game of mafia! This is a 15 player closed-setup game. However, it is a "traditional" game; there will be little that isn't featured on the SA Mafia Wiki or the Mafia flash thingy. However there might still be some surprises thrown your way! Who knows?

The standard mafia rules apply: don't do anything that could be construed as "not in the spirit of mafia." But I'm not a huge stickler for rules, so as long as you don't break the game it'll probably be fine. For instance, feel free to edit your posts to fix minor things like formatting, even if you get caught by the ninja; just be reasonable about it.

However, please remember that I reserve the right to punish someone as I see fit for whatever thing they do.

My unique quirk: please ##unvote before re##voting. I will not count revotes without unvotes unless you are a double-voter. It doesn't matter what votebot says; votebot is just for your convenience, only the votecounts I present are to be assumed accurate and reliable. If you think you see a mistake in a votecount I have posted, please contact me privately so I may check it.

Posting is very important to me, however I will not expect you to be abuzz with posting things left and right. If you haven't posted for a while, I'll probably prod you with a PM casually, maybe with a "hey go post GO POST NOWWWW". If you have a reason why you're not posting, feel free to tell me -- I like to think I'm fairly reasonable. If you aren't posting and it's going to be a chronic problem, I'll ask if you want a replacement; it's up to you, I just want everyone to have a good time, you included. However, if you're put on probation for more than a day, then I will replace you without warning. So don't get probated!

Deadlines are the most effective and easiest way to encourage participation. To that effect, every game day will have a deadline. If majority voting has not been reached by then, the day will end with no hanging. The Day 1 deadline will be at most 5 days long, and they'll only get shorter! Note that if I am ever for some reason unavailable for a deadline I've set, you should assume it to be floating.

To sign up, simply say whether you want to play or be a replacement, whether or not you have PMs, and your email address. I'm "eccoraven" via g-mail. I only check my email every other day or so, so if you don't have PMs you should really consider getting them!

If you are living with, or otherwise have direct RL contact with, another player in the game, please tell me when signing up. It won't affect your chances for playing the game, I just like to know these things in advance.

Here we go!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c:

NOTE: just an estimate, not assumed to be accurate!

Current Phase: N / A
:h: N / A
:d: N / A

1) Anomalous Amalgam
2) BottleKnight
3) CCKeane
4) chaoslord
5) Dick Bastardly
6) got some chores tonight
7) Grandicap
8) Jonathan Fisk
9) Max
10) Murmur Twin
11) Pinterest Mom
12) Quidthulhu
13) Rarity stickup
14) The Lord of Hats
15) Tobbs Gnawed

Night 0: TaoJones, Saqaada, Miner (town-aligned vanilla), died.
Day 1: Anomalous Amalgam, Faham, Blaster (town-aligned bomb), executed. Dick Bastardly, Mauel, Miner (town-aligned vanilla), died hammering.
Night 1: Jonathan Fisk, Subul, Janitor (town-aligned cop), died.
Day 2: Tobbs Gnawed, Kam, Miner (town-aligned vanilla), executed.
Night 2: got some chores tonight, Hajair, Miner (town-aligned vanilla), died. chaoslord, Mifta, Foreman (scum-aligned godfather), died.
Day 3: Quidthulhu, Maatab, Goon (scum-aligned goon), executed.
Night 3: CCKeane, Dhaba, Machinist (town-aligned gunsmith), died.
Day 4: BottleKnight, Tab, Goon (scum-aligned goon), executed.
Night 4: Nobody died tonight! How utterly interesting!
Day 5: Pinterest Mom, Khalia, Enforcer (scum-aligned jailor), executed.

:toot:
TOWN VICTORY
GAME OVER

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 17, 2017

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I picked the letter for this (possibly) so after basically single handedly losing the game that had my namesake in it I have to redeem myself here

:negative:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:rip: megan ma

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
It's the same old story,
All love and glory,
It's a pantomime

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ecco game, woo, sign me up

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Hello friends.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Sure, I'll give it a go!

Is the next soldiers game still in the queue?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

The Lord of Hats posted:

Sure, I'll give it a go!

yeah! probably going to be a summer blockbuster!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
:vd:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Ok.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

there was another mine story far back, yes?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

EccoRaven posted:

yeah! probably going to be a summer blockbuster!

Oh man, I've been waiting and waiting for this.

Not a sign up, sorry, but hi everyone!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Jonathan Fisk posted:

there was another mine story far back, yes?

they're all mine stories in that they're not thine stories.

mwahahaha

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Sure, I'll give it a go!

Not a signup as I'm still abroad, but please rebuy your avatar or PM me and I will send you a cert to do the needful. It's the least I can do for a fellow Jocastan hero.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Hail Khaz Gebsi, our Golden Dragonlord!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ecco wants me to play.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Max posted:

Ecco wants me to play.

I want you to play.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Mafia

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Ecco tried to hide this game from me.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

Meanwhile, but a long time ago, a mine has collapsed and trapped some lizards. Enter A Gateway to Greed and see if you can make it out alive.

so secretive!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
You can't join this mafia game if you're not worthy.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i will play and i will actually try my hardest

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
#vote tremta look ma im trying

vote intentionally broken

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
BK you in??

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
now I don't have to resort to loving a robot! Thanks Beeeeeeeek!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Dick Bastardly posted:

now I don't have to resort to loving a robot! Thanks Beeeeeeeek!

You should still consider it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is there space?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Rarity posted:

Is there space?

I think, unless I missed someone, you fill it up! game tentatively begins Monday or Tuesday, which would be a really nice thought wouldn't it? I'll try to make that world happen, but you know.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'll be traveling back home on Monday, so expect very little engagement if it starts on that day.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Podima posted:

Not a signup as I'm still abroad, but please rebuy your avatar or PM me and I will send you a cert to do the needful. It's the least I can do for a fellow Jocastan hero.

Well, if you insist...

I've been without an avatar for far too long, anyways :)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

I think, unless I missed someone, you fill it up! game tentatively begins Monday or Tuesday, which would be a really nice thought wouldn't it? I'll try to make that world happen, but you know.

Monday the 13th?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

Monday the 13th?

of November.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

of November.

I had to check the calendar just to make sure you did your homework.

I'm proud of you.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Holy poo poo I got a role PM

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hooray! Everyone should have their role PMs; check your inboxes and emails. Thank you for being patient with me!

Instead of saying some variation of "confirm" type the following sentence (capitalizing the first letter of each word):

I understand that if I do not unvote the mod will not count a revote unless I am a doublevoter.

For reference, all the role PMs look something like this:

A Sample Role PM posted:

TaoJones - Saqaada - Miner (town-aligned vanilla)
You have toiled away in the mines for all your life; from before you were even hatched you knew how you would die. It could be from suffocation, from a cave-in, from even something as simple as a slip and fall, or even from your lungs filling up with rock dust until you can't even breath above ground. It is an awful existence, and you have dreamed of escaping it some day.
Now it looks like you have your chance. You and everyone in the mine heard your master's wails of terror, which became a pained gurgling, and which were suddenly silenced. Could he be dead? Could your bonds of servitude finally be broken? You could leave this place - you could grab your family, what meager gold and food you have left, hop on a caravan, and travel far away, to where the sun doesn't hurt your eyes and where the ground doesn't crust itself between your scales. But first you have to escape. Not only has the entrance to the mine collapsed, but some of your fellow miners have decided to take all your latest gold for themselves by murdering the rest. Now you need to find them and bring them to justice. Freedom is within your grasp - you only have to take it.

You are a townie! You seek to protect yourselves from the scum in your midst, and as such win when all scum players are eliminated, or nothing can stop the same. You have the normal powers of posting and voting in the thread.
You have no other exceptional powers or abilities.
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned.

Character names are generated randomly using various easy-to-find internet programs, as well as random Wikipedia articles and my own creativity.

Flips will look like this:

:s: Player Name, Character Name, Flavor Title (alignment-aligned role), died in a flavor-specific way. :s:

Example:

:s: TaoJones, Saqaada, Miner (town-aligned vanilla), was ripped to shreds night 0. :s:

The game should be beginning shortly!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Gebsi was dead. The miners weren't certain, but there was no other way to interpret what happened on the surface. But with the cave collapsed, the miners couldn't escape - at least not until the entrance was cleared, which could take days. There's more than enough food, and air, thankfully. But it seems others disagree - one of the miners died last night, his flesh rent apart by drilling equipment, and a pickaxe lodged in his brain. He was a lizard, whose scales were as red as the blood-sun. He was murdered. Now, none of you are safe, so long as murderers are among you. You must bring them to justice... or else you may never know the touch of freedom.

:s: TaoJones, Saqaada, Miner (town-aligned vanilla), was ripped to shreds night 0. :s:

It is now Day 1!
:h: With 15 alive it takes 8 to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Thursday, March 9th, ~11PM EST.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Yay! I can't wait to swing my pick at this game and unearth veins of scummy metals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Confirming that I am vanilla town.

• Locked thread