Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sure, I'll give it a go!

Is the next soldiers game still in the queue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Podima posted:

Not a signup as I'm still abroad, but please rebuy your avatar or PM me and I will send you a cert to do the needful. It's the least I can do for a fellow Jocastan hero.

Well, if you insist...

I've been without an avatar for far too long, anyways :)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I Understand That This Game Follows The Normal Ecco Rules Regarding Unvoting, And Also That BottleKnight Is Younger Than I Thought.

Also what kind of rear end in a top hat murders a fellow miner down here, this is our shot at freedom. You're a bunch of jerks, scum!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I don't know if it's remotely relevant, but I'd like to note that I am human, not a lizard like poor old Saqaada was. I don't think there's going to be any kind of split that matters regarding that (like how in that one parliament one a while back the Pink-party people were the traitors), but it may as well be mentioned. Also means that the vanilla chunk of my town PM is very slightly different from what was posted.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Dick Bastardly posted:

What motivated you to share this? I'm not seeing the relevance here. This reads like it's a 3P claim essentially but clearly states your alignment as town. :confuoot:

Mainly to get people talking. I did a bit of a double-take when I saw the discrepancy between my own role and the sample flip, and I had to reread my PM (to make sure I hadn't misread a bit of flavor) and the OP (to see if that flavor had significance) before I realized that it was (I *assume*) inconsequential.

I mean, yes, in theory there's some weird 3P role that wants everyone from one species wiped out, but I that's far enough along the "what if" train that I think it's worthwhile to use it to get some information flowing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

got some chores tonight posted:

tloh whats your char's name

I'm Nahas, and I just want to get the hell out of this stupid mine.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Please, everybody knows I'm very trying.

:golfclap:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I never know what to do this early in a game. It's always a sequence of jokes and then the hidden countdown timer goes off and someone jumps on a jokepost for being scummy and then someone just on *that* person for being scum, and I think I might be really bad at Mafia that doesn't throw out a million data points like Soldiers does, guys.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I mean, that's certainly a possibility, but I agree with Keane that there isn't a good reason for AA not to be answering at this point. If you've already claimed your role why go to such lengths to conceal its flavor? This is an Ecco game, and if there's one thing I associate with Ecco games it's having lots of well-written flavor text. It's not like it's hard to say "I'm a MAFIAROLE, I do this through FLAVORTEXT".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Forgot I missed that one. If you look in the OP, there's both human and lizard miners. (The specific line is "a mixture of human and lizard stock", iirc).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

it's not a problem, I mean you get proof of me being town, and you can use my ability as a contribution instead of negative. It's still a gamble, but at least this way, town collectively has some say in how it all goes down.

I don't really follow this line of thinking. With you out in the open like this, the best case scenario is... a scum refuses to drop the hammer and everyone decides to switch to them? That feels less likely to me than just winding up with multiple dead town.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

##vote AA

I really need to get better about actually dropping my vote when I've got convictions.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Well, bleh. I felt good about that one, too. The way every last bit of info had to be pried out of him felt scummy as hell.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Grandicap posted:

My PM doesn't say if I'm human or kobold, but it does reference my hair, so I guess human.

This is the same reason I said human, yeah.

CCKeane posted:

He flipped town.

I don't disagree with Lord of Hats. I'd like to hear from them.

What do you want an answer for? Any questions you've got, I'll give you.

My vote was on AA because, as I've said, he was so bad with how he was giving out that info. Like, look at MMT's claim--it's straightforward "I am Rolename (Rolepower), I do Rolepower by Flavortext", although in this case the flavor text was in Ecco's post. The fact that AA phrased it in such a non-serious way ("blaster lunchingbomb") and then didn't expound any further than that really threw me off, and the ideas for how we could turn the power to our advantage felt like hasty backtracking on a fakeclaim. And then I was wrong, and now I need to go back and recalculate.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sorry, I had a busy weekend, and the free time I had got eaten by Stardew Valley.

Now, I don't know the ~*~meta~*~ as well as the other people here, but I don't get a scum read off of Tobbs. He just reads kind of frustrated, and I feel like scum would be more motivated than he's being. I mean, maybe that's an act and I'm reading too much of my own tendencies into him, but I'm not really seeing it. Gonna look at the Stick stuff now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Max posted:

That being said, at this moment Quid, Hats and Pmom have less posts than Ecco and we are on day 3. In fact, Quid and Hats have half as many posts as Ecco, which is really shameful.

I don't have much to read from Quid and Hats, since they haven't done much of anything, but they sucketh.

Yeah, I sucketh, and have no excuse at this point for my sucketh-ing. So, today's mission: get back to more posts than Ecco, and do it with actual substantial posts! Time to go read Mr. Scum Man and see those interactions.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Max posted:

So probably mylo at this point.

If you really think it's mylo and we don't have any better leads, vote me. It's not a great solution but it's better than a no-lynch.

A quick reread gave me a strong town read on DB, and then I remembered he died N1 and I'm just a dipshit. Stick kind of pinged me though, so I'm going to take a look at that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Lord of Hats is still pinging me hard, and chaos DID ask why I was feeling Hats over Quid.

Not to corner myself into a godawful meta trap, but I'm way more active as scum than I have been this game.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Max posted:

You may have been lurking but please don't throw in the towel, that's always lame. That was also before I saw that CLord flipped scum instead, because Ecco is a dirty trickster.

I'm not throwing in the towel, is the thing.

Look, I'll come out and say it--I'm the mine's Lanternmaster--that is, the Governor. I light all the lanterns in these mines (with magic, and it's a tricky balance to make it go right), and I can snuff them all out with a snap of my fingers. If I use it before the hammer it ends the day early; or I can use it post-hammer. I didn't use it for AA because I was convinced AA was scum, and while I wasn't convinced of the Tobbs case, I didn't have a strong enough town read on him that I felt comfortable skipping a lynch.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

this is a stickup posted:

apart from omgusing bk for voting me without even letting me finish reading the thread, tobbs has made exactly one call and one vote (minus a joke on chaoslord)

it's easy to push keane when keane is pushing aa, especially when you know aa's alignment. as mmt did, here and here are the examples she brought up of town tobbs throwing his vote around and making calls even early in the game.

for contrast, the game she cased him in looks just like this one, and she was right about him being scum there. I'm skeptical that town mmt in this game wouldn't bring this up again after correctly getting tobbs in that game, and later on saying she should've fought harder to get tobbs ded

This is what initially caught my interest on Stick. Besides an OMGUS on BK, his posts are just kind of going with the flow on the Tobbs vote--and even post-flip on Tobbs, it's more pointing at BK. It just feels off to me.

##vote Stickup

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

this is a stickup posted:

I w..what? you do realize I'm the one that initiated on tobbs, correct? post flip on tobbs, I haven't pointed at anyone. I haven't even looked back at the thread yet

:shepface:

Still pinging on you for the moment, but I'll concede that I am an idiot.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Well, I'm sold on Keane as town now--likewise MMT.

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Quid

At this point I just don't buy that Quid is town, for a couple of reasons. The obvious one is that he hasn't made any attempts to play the game, and I feel like we're far enough into the game where town Quid would find it fun to pick out some scummy people and case them. To me, the most obvious reason that he'd be playing the "I'm too busy to Mafia" card (despite posting plenty in other threads) is that he's scum who decided to use lurking as a strategy.

Also, to my recollection chores was the player pushing hardest for Quid. I can't help but think that chores died because scum knew that he was going to be pushing hard for Quid to go today.

If it turns out he's town and just decided "gently caress my teammates", I'm going to be mafia mad at him over this. That said, I see no reason to think he isn't scum.

I think these are some pretty good points. Unlike you I'm still iffy on Stick, but for now...

##unvote
##vote Quid

Gonna take a look at PMom.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Max posted:

Why weren't you sold on MMT before?

I *was* sold on MMT pretty much since they claimed. Sorry for being unclear about that. It's not related to Keane's claim.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

I *was* sold on MMT pretty much since they claimed. Sorry for being unclear about that. It's not related to Keane's claim.

Jesus Christ what is wrong with my emphasis today.

I've had MMT as a lock for town since their claim, Keane I was sort of uncertain of due to the lack of corroboration on the jailer, but everything he's posted since his claim has made sense.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

We're looking at something like 3 scum left, right? So not *precisely* lylo, but not too far off of it either.

If I had to pick a scumteam out of what we've got left, I think my first two picks would be Quid and PMom, with maybe Stickup in 3rd?

Grandicap and BK I have a neutral read on, Max I lean pretty hard towards town, and Keane and MMT are basically confirmed town in my mind right now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, I feel better about Quid than I do about a sudden swerve onto BK here. Not that his case hasn't been made, but Stick empty voting him felt kind of out of nowhere. He's since justified it, but it isn't a vote I'm comfortable switching onto.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

So we're confirmed to be on 2 scum now, right?

And we've got a current roster of...

MMT
Hats
Max
BK
Pmom
Grandicap
Stick

MMT I think we can pretty much dismiss out of hand, and I'm comfortable with Max as town (at the very least it'd be a hell of a longshot for us to try and make at this point when there'd be another scum to nab).

So that means we're looking at BK, Pmom, Grandicap, and Stick. Stick I'm still a bit tentative on, but the more I think about it the less that BK emptyvote seems like something that scum would do. Not sure who I like best for scum out of BK, PMom, and Grandi, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Grandicap posted:

I wouldn't dismiss MMT out of hand. i mean, we can pretty much assume he is not scum. But saying he is town is a different story.

Yeah, but it's scum that we're concerned about right now. If he's an SK then he's pretty easily dealt with later.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

Also, agree with the lurker callout. This game will fall apart if so many people have so little posts. :justpost:

Irony!

I really do wish that BK and PMom were in the thread, though. I'm a little nervy about going after them when they aren't speaking up at all, but I suppose if they're both town and pulling this then town kind of deserves to lose.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Well hey. That last post by BK had me uncertain. Good to see another baddie go down.

This'll probably be the end of the jailings, too. Could be the end of it all depending on how the night goes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Turning out to be a kind of long night, huh.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This night is starting to feel like "Ecco is writing up flavor text because the last scum got vigged".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hey, I'm here!

##vote Pmom

:redhammer:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm just glad that I was able to get back into the swing of things, at least a little bit.

What a nothing scum effort, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I did too. I was pushing for it, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

glass houses, etc etc

Hey now, I moved out of the glass house on day 3 and moved into a flimsy house made out of flammable straw. Totally different.

• Locked thread