Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«866 »
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The ducks can be ferocious fighters, especially against the undead. There are many holy warriors of Humakt among them.

Soiled Meat

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Weren't they supposed to have fixed that? I bought my switch sometime after they supposedly fixed the left joy con, but I have issues with it all the time

What I was experiencing was a limit of wireless technology than a switch problem. I can replicate the same kinda issues sticking a laptop and phone right next to each other. I'm talking a couple inches of space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

my dj so bad

Does Stardew Valley end, or does it keep going indefinitely as an entertaining Harvest Moon-like farming game? I was going to wait for the Switch version if that was the case, but kinda just want to pick it up now for $9 in the Steam sale.

The White Dragon
Nov 14, 2007

a dragon that is
uh

Fun Times! posted:

Ah cmon it looks nice.

it looks nice for about five minutes, but then every area looks exactly the same because that's what happens when your game's setting has one single environment type and no regional variation

i've talked about it a couple times in the steam thread before, but basically my complaints boil down to:

1) poorly-designed midgame bosses that only have one valid strategy to beat, so if you don't bring the right character, you'll die from attrition (e.g. one boss fully heals itself unless you can dispel its buff and only one character can dispel effects, and *dispel as in the item that teaches you the spell requires some rare materials to even make in the first place)

2) awful dungeon design. one stands out in particular where it asks you questions and if you give the wrong answer, it kicks you out and respawns all the monsters. aside from that, they're all pretty much the same and a number of them have "trap" routes that do nothing but send you further back towards the entrance to waste your time

other complaints, related to the "it looks nice" defense include:

3) it tries to make verbatim facsimiles of a lot of cool-looking effects from chrono trigger, but this translates really poorly to modern particle effects and everything just looks like weird transparent circles and crescents that last for a split second

4) related: everything in the game is a 3d model. because the models articulate smoothly, none of the attacks have any visual punch whatsoever--everyone swings their weapon clunkily, whereas in later snes rpgs, everything looked really impactful because you can do those kinds of visual tricks with sprites.

5) you know how timed attacks in super mario rpg are fun and add engagement to the game? ok so imagine that except it costs a resource that's basically an ff limit break in terms of how you build it up, except instead of an ultimate attack, you get the tiny boost you would expect from a timed attack. it doesn't even make your hit rate 100%

and lastly, only a half-complaint because the soundtrack is actually pretty good:

6) it's good but god drat just the one piano gets really boring after a while.

enojy posted:

Does Stardew Valley end, or does it keep going indefinitely as an entertaining Harvest Moon-like farming game? I was going to wait for the Switch version if that was the case, but kinda just want to pick it up now for $9 in the Steam sale.

it goes on forever. you have a "review deadline," but it's fairly meaningless because you can just get rejudged later on.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

I Am Setsuna was not great. Don't go into it thinking it's similar to some classic game you remember, because it's definitely not that. It's a below average RPG.

There are a lot of good opinions in this thread.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Facetious posted:

What about stealth following the Korok kid through the forest with no checkpoints?

You can sit as far back as you want on that quest and then just walk to the end if you know the route. Using a torch might work too but I didn't both trying since it only took a a couple tries.

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if they haven't announced the Switch VC yet so they can sell SNES minis this holiday season.

Manufacturing time spent on not-Switch stuff means less Switches to sell, and Nintendo could just sell a SNES mini bundle on the eShop.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Brought Switch to a Pride party today and we had a blast playing MK8. My buddy also brought his so we were able to link.

Just like the commercials.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

jabro posted:

I want to play it because I heard the story is halfway decent

Whoever told you this lied to you. It is the most paint by numbers thing imaginable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

The story is literally FF X again.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE

RUNNER-UP

got the knowshon

BattleMaster posted:

It isn't an SRPG; it tries very hard to be Chrono Trigger.

Phantasium posted:

Whoever told you this lied to you. It is the most paint by numbers thing imaginable.

So instead of not buying it because of the combat I'm now not buying because of the story. Thanks for the clarification, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The story is literally FF X again.

No, FFX was interesting.

«866 »