Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So brickseek's inventory tracking is counting preordered units as in stock; I'm gonna try the other Walmart near me, but I may just be out of luck.

Guess I should have preordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Complete strike out at my local Walmarts. Went ahead and just bought Wii U Zelda. I'll get a Switch for the holiday season

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

Lol just realized the system is officially out and we still don't know whether we'll be able to play any virtual console titles we already own on this and how much they'll charge for the privilege.

Well, there's no virtual console on Switch yet...nobody already owns any virtual console games for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wendell posted:

Goodness you're annoying!

That was my third post in the thread, and my first on the topic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

If they keep the Wii U "pay a dollar to rebuy titles you already own" thing, I won't be thrilled but it'd be ok. Honestly the portability is a huge selling point for VC stuff for me. Having SNES games on the go without smartphone emulator touchscreen crap would be great.

Obviously the ideal would be that you don't have to pay if you already bought them, but we all know that isn't happening.

You don't already own any Switch virtual console titles though. You won't have to pay a dollar to rebuy Switch virtual console titles.

There may be a discount on Switch virtual console titles that correspond to 3DS or Wii/Wii U virtual console titles registered to your account though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

You know exactly what I mean dude why are you acting so obtuse?

Because while you may mean one thing, you are actually saying quite another.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

Why are you defending lovely business practices?

I didn't realize "selling a product to a customer, and then sometimes offering discounts on related products" is a lovely business practice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kawabata posted:

no the practice were talking about is forcing you to buy the same game twice

its very lovely, much like your posting

Who is forcing you to buy a game? If you are being held hostage or are otherwise being forcibly coerced, try to call the police.

Otherwise, you are not being forced to buy any games, let alone 2 separate ports of a retro title.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thexerox123 posted:

Actually, Tender Bender never used the word Switch, you rephrased it to be able to contradict your own phrasing.

Well in that case, Nintendo has never made anyone ever rebuy a game if they've already bought it once. Once you buy a game, even digitally, it's linked to your account and can be redownloaded at will.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why you chose this as your hill to die on. Do you own stock in Virtual Console games or something? Nintendo sells us access to ROMs they downloaded from the internet and then wants us to pay again for those same ROMs. That's dumb.

Same rom, different emulation. Buying an Xbox One game doesn't entitle you to the PS4 version; why should buying a Wii U game entitle you to a Switch version?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

That's the worst argument you can make as buying an Xbox 360 game (digitally) entitles me to download and play it on the Xbox One for free (assuming it is backwards compatible).

Cool, Microsoft offers a bonus feature. That doesn't make it required. Or make not offering it anti-consumer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

I would gladly buy the emulator if they allowed me to use the same roms I already paid for.

Nintendo's Virtual Console emulators are often specifically tailored for each game; you'd be buying one for every retro title...kinda like they currently already do.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

Also don't talk to jivjov you idiots lol.

Awww...but I like talking to my goon friends

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

Nintendo...ran themselves right out of the home console market

-Less than 72 hours after Nintendo launched their latest home console

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

It's a portable console, that docks into your TV. If it were a home console it would be laughably underpowered by any metric. Jivjov, are you seriously going to argue that the Wii U was a success?

"The Switch isn't a console, it's a console!!!"

And yes, the Wii U is a very successful console.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

I also am staying out of the Zelda thread because I don't have the game yet. I have a special edition supposedly arriving at Walmart this week. I'm still on the fence about canceling it because I can't decide if the case is really cool or really lame.

For anyone with the DLC, mind spoiling the chests you get on the plateau? If it's just like rupees and that Switch shirt I think I'll actively avoid it. I dunno I think my first playthrough should be fresh.

A single ruby, 5 bomb arrows, and the Switch T-Shirt. That's it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nephzinho posted:

Danke. So not enough to replace farming, but if you're ging to take a month or two to get through this it will add up and help over time.

You can scan in each amiibo once a day. So if you're like me, and have all the figurines and all the cards, you can easily scan in over 500 things a day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fly with me posted:

In the last 2 years, how much have you spent on Nintendo produced items?

More than I spent on my first car.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nephzinho posted:

Dont the non-BOTW amiibo just give you basic food/rupees?

Random supplies. It's not much, but if you have a whole bunch to scan...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

New Stux: poor man's Jivjov.

My username is traditionally rendered in all lowercase.

Saves money on Shift keys

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wendell posted:

Do you own a Switch yet, jivjov?

Not yet. Waiting for the inevitable console+game bundle that'll probably hit around holiday season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Loopoo posted:

I completed Zelda: BotW and was planning on selling my Switch onto someone else. However, I've discovered that there's no way for me to backup my save. So I'm pretty much stuck: there's no games coming out in the next few months that I'm interested in, so my console will just be collecting dust. The only thing stopping me from selling it is the fact I'd lose all my save data.

Are there any ways at all for me to save my Zelda progress? I really don't want to lose it all, because when new stuff comes out for BotW, I really don't want to start from scratch.

Why not just hang on to your console? You probably aren't going to recoup your entire purchase price for it, and will be buying another one in a few months when the BotW DLC starts hitting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Deltron 3030 posted:

I read that eventually the new campaigns will be available for free on other platforms if you already have the original Shovel Knight. Not sure when, too lazy to look it up again.

April. Specter Knight campaign is Switch exclusive for about a month and then the big update hits Wii U, 3DS, PC, Xbox, and PlayStation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Suaimhneas posted:

If I thought amiibo spoofing was likely to ruin the livelihood of whoever came up with the idea of amiibos, that'd just make me want to do it more

Seriously, gently caress that guy

You really hate the idea of fun little collectable tchotchkes that much? That you'd wish financial hardship on someone over it?

Reflect, for a moment, on what that says about you.

"I hate this thing so much I want some other random person to suffer for it"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

Please post your sad amiibo collection again.

All of my amiibo are quite happy; free of their plastic prisons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hey, someone was asking to see my amiibo collection?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Not a Children posted:

I'm proud of you for taking them out of the boxes

How else would I play with my fun Nintendo friends? :confused:

The Milkman posted:

that's too many amiibos.

It's actually not enough! I have two in the mail right now, and I haven't yet completed my Mario Sports Superstars card collection!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

No double-gun Samus?

I actually don't really have anything in the way of mistakes or error amiibo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HyperPuma posted:

id really like a well done mario golf but i worry after seeing the half assed job they did with the latest mario tennis

a.lo posted:

The 3ds had a good Mario Golf game

Yeah, World Tour was great. Its my most played 3DS game with over 210 hours logged. We even ran goon tournaments for months. The new Mario Sports Superstars has 4 more 9 hole courses in the same engine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

chaleski posted:

Can you break BotW over your knee with all the item drops this could give you?

Honestly, not really. Non-zelda amiibo only give you a random shower of random cooking goods. Sure, if I had the patience, I could scan everything every day and have hundreds of Hyrule Herbs or whatever...but that's a lot of effort for not a whole lot of reward.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

I wish the new (old) Mario Kart wasn't the same price as it was 3 years ago haha.

This has the new Battle courses and the two DLC packs from the Wii U baked in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I think this justifies the $60 price, how much did MK8+DLC come to when it was all fresh?

The DLC was like $12 or $15 for the combo. So if you price out the battle stages as if they were another DLC pack, that's like ~$20 worth of extra content over what the Wii U version launched with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

I feel all tingly inside whenever JivJov explains why it's ok for Nintendo to charge us more for stuff.

I mean...that's literally how business works. You make a product, you sell it to people. Microsoft and Sony do the same thing.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has the same MSRP as Mario Kart 8 and comes with more content. Like...you're literally getting more value for money here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

Don't you get extra characters and karts now too?

I don't know, $60 isn't too bad for all that poo poo though I think $40 would be a better price point.

Yes; you get all the characters and karts introduced in the old DLCs built in by default in Deluxe, as well as the Inkling, and a couple other new characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't even out yet. They're going to release it at full price to get all the consumers that are willing to buy it at full price.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

Like I said, reviewers are saying the loading times are just as bad on the other consoles.

Yeah, sounds like an optimization problem on the dev's end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ethanol posted:

Functional use, like warding off predatory women

My wife has some amiibo too. Only 7 or 8 though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

Divorce her

Nah; we don't really have a need for multiple complete amiibo collections.

2 of our housemates have small collections as well. This house is positively full of amiibo goodness. :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The plural form of amiibo is amiibo. And the leading a isn't capitalized.

parallelodad posted:

Maybe if you didn't spend thousands on Amiibo you could afford your own place.

This is my own place. I own it. We just rent out the spare bedrooms to our friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have a bit of an odd request: Does anyone have one of the little black gamepad stands that came with the Wii U that they no longer want? Not the charging cradle, but just the simple little stand? I need a spare, and I figured I'd ask NintenGoons before buying one directly from Nintendo

• Locked thread