Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Amazon has redeemed themselves by shipping using UPS instead of USPS. They even included the pro controller in tomorrow's delivery, even though it originally said that wouldn't show until Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Zelda is indeed good, and I enjoyed the two plus hours I've put in so far. I like how the "tutorial" doesn't really feel like one because you have so much freedom and it's just tiny pieces here and there. Control based things are usually just quick onscreen instructions. Other things send you exploring to find it on your own, but you can get sidetracked like crazy. I'm also a really good sniper apparently. I haven't had too many melee battles as I just keep picking everything off from a distance.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Also, Zelda Protip: While you can press X and a direction to jump up, left, or right while climbing, do not press down. Instead you will jump away from the cliff and fall to your doom. My first death was doing this on the Temple of Time. I did it at least once more.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent screen protector? I know there's hori but I'm hoping for a glass one

I don't have it yet, but some article linked to on reddit said this was the best one. It's currently sold out though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
CEC works great for me on the PS4. It switches the input on my receiver when I power it on and then I can control it with my TV remote. I turned it off for the Switch though because if I'm playing handheld, that's because my wife is watching TV in the room with the Switch. I don't want it to pop over from the cable box to the Switch when I dock it when I'm low on battery.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

TheScott2K posted:

There are also - in America, at least - a lot of us who drive ourselves to and from work every day, for whom video games are a thing you do at home. Something being portable is less of a value-add and more of an excuse for expensive slow hardware.

Portability has its place in the home as well. The living room in our house has the largest TV and best surround sound setup. Therefore, all of the consoles, cable box with DVR, etc. are hooked up in that room to provide the best experience. With the Switch, I can continue playing in another room while my wife watches something on the DVR (or falls asleep on the couch). Also, it'll be nice to take it with me when I have to go out of town for work.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I finally exited BoTW for the first time today. Not because I wanted to, but because it crashed. Still a million times more bug free than a Bethesda game though.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Katana Gomai posted:

And I refuse to believe that Nintendo hasn't done exactly that and came to the conclusion that the material used is fine

The same Nintendo that released multiple editions of the 3DS that had its top screen scratched by the bezel around the bottom screen because they didn't just make the rubber bumpers a little bit thicker? And no, I didn't put them in my pockets. Edit: Hell, it's a portable, it should be able to survive in pockets.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 10, 2017

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My dock doesn't seem to want to work anymore. Was playing on the TV, put it in sleep mode before dinner. Came back, hit the home button of the pro controller, and it won't output any video. I can play it handheld. When I plug it into the dock, the screen turns off on the Switch, but doesn't output anything. Powered the Switch off and back on, unplugged, replugged everything, rebooted TV and receiver, and nothing so far. :( Guess I'll keep loving around.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

FireMrshlBill posted:

Does the green light on the dock light up? Try a different HDMI cable and plug directly into TV (no receiver or hdmi switch). I know mine didn't output video when I had it plugged into my hdmi switch and then plugged that into my sound bar and then into the TV.

I was getting the green light, but no output. I switched to a built-in HDMI port on the TV and that didn't help either. I just kept unplugging and replugging poo poo and changed all the TV settings to auto instead of the manual settings I had and it finally started working. Well, the pro controller didn't work for a minute after that, but it's working now. Pretty lame I had to go through all this when I had done nothing but or it into sleep mode like I've find dozens of times in the past.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My amFilm screen protector came and it has to be the best tempered glass screen protector installation I've had. Use the steamy bathroom method. This is the first dry screen protector install I've done that ended up dust and air bubble free.

It feels great. It's nice and slick like glass should feel. The glass screen protector I installed on my wife's phone felt more like plastic. I even installed it slightly off at first. The top left corner was slightly too high, so it was slightly raised and was basically a long air bubble. I was able to carefully remove the entire thing and put it back on. Still no dust and absolutely zero air bubbles. Every other time I've tried lifting one off a phone, I got spider web fractures where I lifted. Not here! I have a perfect install and a spare if I ever need it. I don't do a lot of Amazon reviews, but I will on this thing.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Man, I got a really good bow I've never had before out of shrine chest. Of course, I immediately drop it so I can take a picture for the compendium. Too bad it slid off of the platform into lava. :(

And unrelated, but my issues with the Switch not wanting to output a signal when docked unless I unplug and replug the HDMI cable a few times was resolved by swapping in a different HDMI cable. I haven't had an issue in days now. Not sure if it's worth the hassle of bugging Nintendo about a cheapo HDMI cable though.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I think part of the problem with the voice acting is that the pacing is a bit off because it seems like they're trying to match the lines to start/stop when the mouths do. I'm going to assume they used the same animations for every region, seeing as they don't try to do any true lip-syncing, just the start/stop crap. It just ends up like "Why are you putting all these weird pauses in your sentences, Mipha?"

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

I saw the original reddit thread this was quoting and I think people said that the cloud icon is just what it displays for games you have purchased, but still need to download. Another dude said he also had his saves transferred by Nintendo, they were already on the system memory, and it just appeared because he had to redownload the 1.1 update for the game.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The funniest thing about the NCAA thing is that most people don't care at all about the player likenesses. Everyone I know that ever played the games played Dynasty mode. They'd make up a custom school, recruit randomly generated high school players, and within a few simulated seasons, none of the teams in the game had any players which were actually based on real people. Most of the time they didn't even actually play the football portion, they just played it like a football program management game. I remember roommates getting together, each with a custom school, and see which one could win a national championship first (or be ranked #1 at the end of the year, I think it just was back then).

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My joy cons work perfectly from behind my back in the master bathroom, with three walls, a closet full of coats, and twenty-five feet between them and the Switch. I think I'm good.

I'm also good with weapon durability. I think I've hit all the relevant topics of the day.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

C-SPAN Caller posted:

If you're really nice and sound sad enough they'll give you free overnight shipping.

"Help! I bought 1-2 Switch and have a rooftop party coming up soon! I don't want to let all of my hip friends down."

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I get that they moved jump from X to B because it's closer to the stick with the Switch's controller configuration, but that didn't stop me from opening the map by accident quite a few times.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I was going to suggest that people can pick up the original from Amazon for $46 if this was their first experience, but I figure most people that own a Wii U that played today's test fire probably already own the original. Speaking of that, time to boot it up!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Cheeto posted:

I hear Callie is still alive in the Splatoon port

Callie defected to help the Octarians after realizing that Inkopolis is monopolizing the world's zapfish supply. We help Marie lead an assault against them until we learn the truth. Eventually the single player campaign ends in a truce and playable Octolings.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

The only true way to experience HD rumble.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

Just make sure to delete the ROM within 24 hours!

And if you're a cop, you can't even enter the web site because there's a disclaimer saying so.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I have terrible news gentlemen. Nintendo got word that I downloaded an amiibo. Nintendo agents are about the bust down my door and take me to videogame prison, but they won't take me alive. I'm going down figh

Don't worry. There will be a small passage in your cell you can escape from. Then you just need to make it through a forced stealth section and you'll get your stuff back.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I actually prefer Andre videos to the other guy main Gamexplain guy. The other dude is just so quiet and boring.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Drunk Tomato posted:

Where do you even buy amiibos. Amazon?

Yeah. Or you decide to go down the videogame aisle at Meijer when you went to get ingredients for fajitas and walk out spending $84 on all the BoTW amiibo. Oops.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Wao posted:

That sounds awful.

Nah, man. Fajitas and amiibo are both good.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

COME SQUEEZE SOME HD RUMBLE TITS YOU SHUTINS

That dude's been so busy squeezing videogame titties he didn't have time to comb his hair.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
More than just that, there's a wooden sculpture of a grizzly with a salmon in its mouth (with an antenna sticking out? is it a radio?) in the Japanese direct video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/658geu/theres_a_split_second_grizzco_location_seen_in/

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
While the other consoles have higher power graphical capabilities, Nintendo's use of color and wonderful art direction allows their games to.... WHAT THE gently caress IT'S ONLY RUNNING 720P?!?!

Who loving cares? I played the test fire on my 55" 4K TV and it looked fine to me. I was too busy playing the game to look hard to see if I could see individual pixels.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

Why do you have a 4k TV if you don't care about resolution.

My point was that no one cared about lower graphical output when it came to Nintendo games because their aesthetics were more interesting than 1080p browns, but now people are changing their tunes. I have a 4K because I have disposable income and why not be a bit more future proof? Besides, I use it for more than just gaming, and it has a nice upscaler. Even DVDs look really nice on it. But when playing something fast paced like Splatoon, I'd rather have a high, consistent framerate than a sharper resolution.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yall better stop dissing my tetrimino waifus

Anyone else still call tetriminos "tetrads"? That's what they called them in Nintendo Power's Howard and Nester Tetris guide. It's less syllables and sounds better, dammit.

Edit: Next time you rewrite a post, delete the original. Durrr...

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 27, 2017

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Based on my experience last night, the Boo item was brought back to provide another way for the CPU to take the horn away from you right before a blue shell is launched.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

W O W the water area in blaster master zero is amazingly, game quittingly awful

But how does the water look? Since the Switch doesn't have Miiverse, I don't know MARIO WiiU's opinion on the water situation, so I have no idea how to feel.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I think ARMS is good, but I'm not good at it. I wish we just play some 1-on-1 against an AI or something so I could try working on skills rather than just getting my rear end kicked by people that it clicked with. I still might pick it up though to fool around with single player at least.

Edit: gently caress it, at $48 with prime, why not? Pre-ordered.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I didn't mind the mission structure. Though it might have been nicer if the missions went back and forth between the mansions instead of having to do mission after mission in the same one before moving on to the next.

If they get rid of the mission structure, I wouldn't mind a more open world game with multiple mansions where you have to explore and travel back and forth between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Didn't see it mentioned here, but apparently the NBA Playgrounds online patch had been released.

• Locked thread