Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hot takes:

drat it's small.

Battery pretty much dead on joycons and 40% switch battery means handheld mode tonight.

It's annoying entering in a password every time I want to use the eshop.

I can import my WiiU/3DS mii from an amiibo. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Only a few minutes in to Zelda and my switch is about as hot as a laptop.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The switch has cooled down significantly after the fan kicked on. Interesting that it waited until then.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Calling it quits after a little under two hours for the evening.

After an hour of playing, battery had reached enough charge I was comfortable trying TV mode.

The controller grip worked fine for what it was, though I really would prefer the feel of a Pro controller.
The Joycon straps are going to snap off the plastic tabs used to hold the Joycons in place. They have their own locking mechanism but it felt like I had to force them off the joycon even after unlocking them.

The Joycon desync issue is real and not fixed (I was in handheld mode for the whole first hour while updating.) I sat about 10 feet from my TV with the switch sitting prominently to the side of my TV with no obstruction. The controller grip worked fine, but when I switched to the individual Joycons and took a leg over leg sitting position with the left Joycon resting on my raised leg, it started having the issues seen in other videos. Trying it again just now, I'm finding a sweet spot right where I like to lay my hands that causes it. Not a game breaker but something to be aware of.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was going to just buy Zelda but having played BOTW with the Joycons, I want a real controller.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well after a few hours of sleep, it's back to Zelda. Already this morning I've had the left Joycon not even pair with the switch after removal from the dock (having just used handheld mode to enter a Snipperclippers code.) It just acted like it was looking for the Switch. After it stopped looking a second attempt caused it to connect but that was worrying.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I managed to snag a Pro controller. I was really starting to feel the effects of the "comfort grip" on my hands. I guess I don't need to eat next week.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

InFlames235 posted:

I wonder why the left JoyCon drops vary so heavily between people. Some getting nothing, some getting quite a bit. Nintendo better get a fix out ASAP.

It's about your comfy gaming position. Holding the controller wrong, resting the controller on your legs while they're raised, sitting a reasonable distance away from a big screen TV with a table between the couch and system.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow did I find a good example of Zelda slowdown. Just north of Trotter's Downfall is a shrine called Rucco Maag Shrine. Pretty much every graphical effect is in use and the frame rate suffers.

There's no story significance to the name or location mentioned so it's not spoiled.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I finally got the left con issue to come up but it was while navigating the eShop and not at all in the 4 hours I played Zelda.

Turns out it was pointed at my leg. Oops.

Please keep controllers in an upright forward position.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Maybe some are not cooling properly? Someone in thread said there's got real hot. Louisgod maybe?

Mine got hot in the dock but didn't speed up the fan until I undocked.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

Does anyone know if the eShop DRM is any softer than it was on Wii/WiiU/3DS? I don't want to spend a lot on it if it's locked to one console again.

Also why the gently caress does Nintendo give devs the option to block use of their $70 pro controller?

They had Nintendo Network on 3DS and Wii U for years where everything was tied to an account.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It really does suck that I'm paying $70 to import games that are completed and in English but the publishers can't get out for launch.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

I don't mean to sound racist but the black horses run much faster than all the other coloured horses I've found.

4 star speed.

I want to find the perfect horse but I don't know what it looks like.

The black horses go really fast though. There is probably a unicorn somewhere with perfect stats.

Buy the original link Amiibo.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone attached the wrist straps? It feels like you're going to snap off the plastic tabs on the Joycon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only thing interesting is the same size antenna. That extra .3 DBI transmission power makes all the difference I guess.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had two different sets of Joycons now, one from Best Buy, the other packaged with the Switch. Both left Joycons cut out in TV mode.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

My brother left his Switch in the dock to charge overnight, and when his wife and daughter went to play it a little while ago, it wouldn't come on. No response from the Home button, no response from the power button. He examined it and said that it smelled like something inside had burnt up. He tried connecting it directly to the AC Adapter and plugging it in to a different outlet and nothing happened. Console is completely dead.

Has anyone else heard or seen any reports about Switches cooking themselves like this? Because I'm kinda paranoid as gently caress about leaving it plugged in now. :tinfoil:

I noticed the other day that just switching from TV mode to Handheld mode caused the fan to speed up and it was rather warm.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Meh unless you bought a bunch, $100 profit per unit isn't really all that hot. Not exactly rags to riches for that kind of hassle

Those are higher end sales. I see others sub $400 and if you include tax that means they're at $80 profit before eBay fees and whatever shipping they use.

E:I found one right now with 15 minutes left that is at $335.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 6, 2017

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Winning bid $450
Removing taxes makes it a $50 profit.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Where are you paying ~20% sales tax?

Paypal

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm importing a Japanese copy of Disgaea 5 after finding out it changes to English on English account.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

This is probably a great game to get. Ive looked at it on ps4 but Its something I want on a mobile platform. Whats the price after conversion?

$71 after everything applied at Play Asia.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Is that physical? Does the digital not translate?

Digital does too, but then you have to setup a Japanese account and buy eshop credit.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Reading about the sales numbers on the Switch reminded me of something else...The Vita launch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2011/12/29/sony-in-big-trouble-with-ps-vita/

Everyone who wanted one got one right in the first couple days after launch then sales dropped off. Nintendo sold about 10,000 more units than Vita did for a similar time period after launch. It might not have the same memory card issue (though $80 for a real controller replaces that,) but kind of interesting in comparison.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I created my Japanese Eshop account and downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo. Why isn't this a launch title? Some of us want to do something other than play Zelda.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's a teardown of the console by Ben Heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSPyW5v8r0

He starts identifying the chips and finds the 32gb system memory to be right on top of the completed unit, meaning all Nintendo has to do is swap out a small part at the end of the manufacturing process to have more internal memory.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some of the early things I've seen from hackers indicate the Switch has a revision of the 3DS kernel, thus the code bounty for 3DS exploits they're running.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

Why is no Nintendo logo on the Nvidia chip a big deal?

That means it's a stock processor.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://pegaswitch.com/

Turn off updates now if you want homebrew emulators.

An exploit was found. Nothing for end users but they have access.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 14, 2017

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
or maybe some people want to play Sonic 3 on their new handheld gaming tablet device.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Please don't discuss stolen software here.

Some people like to hack together a pokemon team in 5 minutes instead of wasting hours breeding.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/media-create-sales-3617-31217
2nd week Japanese sales are out.

Switch sold nearly 62k units in the second week in Japan. First week was 330k

It's only a data point this early on, but this is similar to PS4 and Vita in terms of sales. They're definitely not doing 3DS numbers, and even that prompted a price cut.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Milkman posted:

Is it still supply constrained over there too?

I see a site claiming it's being rationed as the reason the sales are so low, but the Media Create numbers are just raw sales at retail. It's going to take a few more weeks of sales data to see if that is true.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got Disgaea 5 finally. It doesn't seem to have cut any graphic effects from the PS4 version, but it's rendered in 720p instead of 1080p so there's a bit of noticeable aliasing compared to the PS4 version. Other than that, it seems to be a solid port.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/844370050416967680

There you go. Call Nintendo.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I went to Gamestop an hour early the morning after the announcement to preorder and there was nobody in line.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/845685907369816064

That stuff is gone if you even take a second to look at your bank account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sonicretro/status/848180426925584385

This is probably one of the most disappointing jokes of the day.

• Locked thread