Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Soon™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Literally kill dominoes pizza

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Stay off facebook, they're recommending spoiler videos :(

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I think that there are rubber guides inside the dock.

Has anyone tried flinging their Switch onto the ground to find out if the screen is glass or not?

I promised my cousin he could have my second preorder if he got straight As in school and he got a B in algebra, so I'm going to do this right in front of him

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Amazon delivered mine at like 8:30 this morning. Gonna be a long fuckin' day

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Can someone please tell me if USB headphones work with the dock?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Kawabata posted:

I'm very happy that Nintendo chose to respect their fans and release BOTW for both the Wii U and the Switch but I can't help but wonder what this means in term of Switch sales. This is one of best (and best reviewed) game of all times, and other than for an increase of 180p in resolution it looks identical on the two consoles.

Some of my friends bought a used Wii U specifically for BOTW, spending 100 to 150 euros. With the added bonus that they can now access the entire Wii U / Wii games lineup which they discovered to be absolutely loving incredible. They won't buy a Switch anytime soon.

"oh no, they might buy more software without us having to manufacture more hardware, whatever shall we do?"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

VideoGames posted:

It is a really good and informative OP. Also, I only change thread titles when threads start posting really, really badly. Hopefully this one will not suffer like the last two.

Sorry for your lots

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Haven't been to the stores myself, but according to my brother our local best buy has a crapload of them available

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Docked mode is probably hosed unless they start dialing back on cpu requirements in their games. Per digital foundry:

This is only a theory, but it does make sense based on the data available. Laying out the maths here, docking increases pixel count from 720p to 900p, a 56 per cent in resolution. However, memory bandwidth only rises by 20 per cent, from 1331MHz to 1600MHz. Bandwidth is shared between CPU and GPU, so the higher resolution in the home console mode may be sapping memory bandwidth away from the main processor cores, making us more prone to slowdown when the CPU is under load. Bandwidth concerns may also explain why resolution doesn't scale closer in line with the difference in clock-speeds (307.2MHz or 384MHz undocked, 768MHz docked). Suffice to say, if you're looking to play Breath of the Wild with minimal performance drops, running undocked is the way forward.

This is a big problem

This really bums me out

Least you can lock it to 720 in docked so you won't get the same slowdown

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Bardeh posted:

No, you can't, that's the issue. If it's docked it will render at 900p no matter what and you'll get the frame drops.

Welp. poo poo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

IAmKale posted:

I have a fancy Anker five-port USB charger, can I use it with my Pixel's USB-C cable to charge and play?

Yes, but it might be very slow depending on the voltage/amperage output it is regulated at

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

My cec works perfectly so idk man

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Now that I have played it for a few days, I can confirm the Switch is excellent.

As a handheld it is unmatched. I am truly surprised at just how comfortable it is and how good it looks. I look forward to all manner of funky joycon addons and games. Plus, if it truly is similar to the 3DS, then homebrew emulators would be so very sweet.

Docked mode is ok. The UI is a bit fluffy with the upscaling and playing the games on the TV is nice, but I just want to return to handheld mode all the time. I didn't realise I'd enjoy it in that mode as much as I do.

I am very excited to see where Nintendo goes!

I agree but switch (ha) our opinions of docked and handheld mode

I just like the pro controller way too much

Also. Zelda is like, unfathomably good. Really exceeded all of my expectations, to the point where I was actively thinking that it excused the mediocrity of Skyward Sword

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm worried Splatoon 2 is going to be Splatoon but with more gimmicky stuff and costumes, I really hate costumes in video games. What about new gamesplat, or new ideas. It looks like the exact same game.

This is my fear too. I played it at the DC event, and it was quite fun, but it really did just feel like more of the same.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just surprised the Wii is still moving nearly 400k units in Japan

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Wendell posted:

Is there a way to see how long you've played in Zelda?

Playlog in Wii U version, I don't think Switch tracks total playtime though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

deetee posted:

Did anyone in Canada buy this screen protector?

https://www.amazon.ca/Screen-Protec...Nintendo+Switch

It has no reviews, so I was hoping to get it vouched before I drop $$'s on it.

I don't want to have to resort to paying extra shipping/dues to get the amFilm one from the American side.

I can't help you there, but I can say that the amFilm one is lovely and 100% worth it. I did manage to get some dust trapped, though, even though I did the application in a steamy room. :(

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

HyperPuma posted:

when does us puyo puyo tetris come out

April

Or you can download it through the Japanese eshop if you don't mind Japanese menus/voice acting

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Utnayan posted:

For those on the fence, this is the only video you need to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

How the hell did this get 2.6 million views in 24 hours

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I think they made a good decision with the plastic screen considering that a substantial number of these devices will be in the hands of children who A) couldn't give a poo poo about bezel scratching, head-scratching of a design flaw as that may be, and B) will drop it all the drat time

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Amazon has Neon Switch in stock and the particular seller has them 10% off for $269.99? Really weird, 2 units left in stock. I wonder if I could contact Amazon since it is less than a week and see if they will give me 10% in credit back.

Saw this, smacks of a scam of some sort.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Once the third party accessories kick in a new dock should be like $30 or so. I plan on getting one or two, but not at $90

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I wouldn't trust their USB C to USB C connection, could be the same issue that people fear from cheap cords.

Well, yeah, don't buy the $8 one off of alibaba or whatever, but I'm sure there's a better deal to be had than $90

FireMrshlBill posted:

Isn't there some type of lockout so people can't use generic USB-c to HDMI adapters? Would Nintendo license that out and lose money on their insanely overpriced ones?

I don't see how you'd lock out a USB-C to HDMI signal other than through an easily subverted/replicated handshake to make sure it's the "right" kind of connection. See also: the lockout chip in the NES

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Keep in mind that whacking weapons (like hammers) work better on rocks than cutting/stabbing weapons

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Everyone was like "man what do they even do after Mario Galaxy" until Mario Odyssey got revealed

Have faith in Nintendo, friends

I want them to make another game with the same engine and minor quality of life improvements with a different thematic tack, a la majora's mask

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

They use a thick, cheap plastic that is inexpensive to manufacture and won't crack when your 4-year-old nephew drops it. I don't really see the problem unless you're carrying it around in a bag with your keys.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

i bought blaster master. its fun! im having fun with the nintendo switch

Ban this sick filth

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

deadwing posted:

hell yeah amazon is still giving 25 bucks for tradeins of the wii u MK8, that'll make the upgrade to the switch version pretty cheap

I was about to be excited, but then I remembered that I downloaded the game. :(

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Quidthulhu posted:

My friend just told me that Puyo Puyo Tetris has a demo on the Japanese eShop and lo and behold it is downloading now. yessssssssssssss

I have it too, and besides playing online why wouldn't I just play this over and over???

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

At least 38% of your life since release has been spent playing this game

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Louisgod posted:

hello, full time worker dad of two here, I cook dinners and do fun stuff with my kids on the weekend.

I've put 15 hours into Zelda since launch because I'm a normal human being

Look at this loser, look and laugh

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Rare Replay should be ported to Switch. Seeing how it was primarily Nintendo games to begin with :colbert:

Just Jet Force Gemini, but with motion-aiming

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is the amiibo scanning feature a once per 24 hours or once per day thing? As in, if I were to scan them all at 11:50PM could I then rescan them all at 12:01AM? I'm asking for a friend (my amiibo collection is my only friend).

You can be friends with JivJov

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait to buy Mario RPG for the 4th time when they rerelease it for Switch

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/843658507719127040

Seiken Densetsu 3 on the Switch? :syoon:

Fingers crossed we'll finally get an official English localised release as well.

Please port Secret of Mana as well :swoon:

I would pay a dumb amount of money for this as long as they don't gently caress it up like they did with the iOS FF ports

re: Splatoon 2 all I want is to be able to choose my game mode. I know they had to have a rotation to ensure that there would always be matchups if the game flopped, but I think they don't really have to worry about that now that the first one proved it can be a system mover.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Camelot is a swell company that puts out groovy music

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

sleepness posted:

Is there a guide for idiots/newbies to afterbirth? I have no idea what all these things do or even how to use them and sometimes I'll get things that modify my attack and then I'll get some magical fingers thing that I have no idea what it does oh god please help. The game is fun though and is a great addition to the switch as I could not get into Isaac sitting on my PC but as a portable, it's fantastic

http://platinumgod.co.uk/

It's more fun to figure it out yourself though

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Just finished the forced stealth sequence in BOTW. 50 hours in, this is the only sequence I would say that's been outright bad. In a game with a clear set of rules and multiple ways to do most things, this sequence broke many of the rules set by the game, and it only really has one solution. Getting one-hit KO'd no matter your armor, health, ferries, or special ability buff is super tedious and goes against everything else in the game. There is only one good solution: Don't get spotted. And every choice you make in your approach is in service of that solution.

It isn't long or incredibly hard, but getting spotted once means you need to restart from the beginning. The whole thing felt like a joke from the devs. They really wanted everyone to see the silly enemy animation when you drop the bananas in front of them. With a small amount of tweaking, it would have been fine.

I didn't particularly like this section, but it's literally only two rooms, they give you a TON of bananas to work with, and the rest of that sequence surrounding it is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Seiken Densetsu games coming to Switch fuckin owns.

I was about to complain that we'll never get it in the states but hell yes easy international eshops

I mean it'll basically be impossible to play through 3 without a guide but I did it when I was 16 so :shrug:

• Locked thread