Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zelda BOTW is incredible you guys.

Just spent hours doing absolutely nothing and had an absolute blast.
All the little things about this game are just going to blow your mind once you get your hands on it.
The spirit of wonder and exploration is back. My god is it back :allears:

Will post a 1-2-Switch trip report as well later, as my Niece was over and we played through all 28 games.

For now tho, I need sleeep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Got a tldr on 12 switch?

Wanna feel dem balls

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So my 10 year old Niece had a pupil free day today, and we played through all of 1-2-Switch this morning!

Here's a breakdown of each game, and how well we enjoyed it.

1 Spice Factor Games
- Telephone - Fun good little fake-out game. Put the joycon on the table, then wait for the specific ring tone and answer as fast as you can. Niece kicked my rear end at this.
- Ball Counting - Absolutely amazing showcase of HD rumble. You can really 'feel' the balls inside the box. Pretty difficult as well to get right!
- Zen - Game randomly chooses a pose. Hold that pose as still as possible, the more you move the quicker you lose. Pretty good, but not very exciting.
- Treasure Chest - Remember Zen Bound for the iPhone? It's that but with a chest in the shape of the joycon. Rotate to untangle your chest from chains as quick as possible to win. Really fun use of the joycon. Loved it.
- Milk - Yes it's the wanking game. It's very difficult to get the motion constant to squeeze out a lot of milk, def a bit of skill involved. It'll get plenty of laughs at a party with an older crowd that's for sure.

2 Spice Factor Games
- Safe Cracker - Really fun game. Rotate the joycons like a safe dial until you feel a 'click' in the tumbler, then hold it in that position until it 'locks' in. Do that 3 times to open the safe. My Niece said she couldn't feel the micro-rumbles with her joycon, but we swapped around a couple of times. She's just bad at it :v:
- Quick Draw - Read Set Fire. What else do you need to know? Quickest draw wins and we got very competitive with it. Loved it!
- Samurai Training - One player swings a sword down. The other tries to 'catch' it by clapping their hands together. REALLY good game from the whole "Look at your opponents eyes" angle. Highly encouraged to try and fake out the clapper. Hell of a lot of fun.
- Sneaky Dice - Shake your cup and flip it down on the table. You'll feel, via rumble, how many dice your opponent has rolled and vice versa. Highest roll wins and you can reshake your dice to get a different number. It's a psychological battle where you try and get your opponent to reroll if they've rolled high. Can def see the potential there, but my Niece is 10 and has absolutely 0 poker face so I won every time :v:
- Signal Flags - You're posing like a sailor with a signal flag. Up, down, left, right. Point the flag in the direction the female sailor tells you. Point in the OPPOSITE direction to what the male sailor tells you. Have to be paying attention! Could be a lot of fun when half-pissed.
- Soda Pop - Wanking Game 2 Wank Harder. Using a single joycon you 'Shake up' a bottle and try and have it pop on your opponents turn. Yeaaaaah this'll get some laughs at a party.

3 Spice Factor Games
- Shaver - Hold the joycon to your chin, then try and shave off your virtual beard as quick as possible. Really good use of the joycon rumble and you can feel where you haven't been before. My Niece reckons she could kick my arse, but I've been shaving for over a decade and a half darlin :v:
- Joycon Rotation - Pick up your joycon and rotate it around as far as you can and drop it back down. You get 3 turns to rotate as far as you can. If you go 'off-centre' or your joycon leans to a side you lose a turn. It's all about keeping the joycon completely vertical and still. Do you go for a big rotation, or do you go for just enough. Pretty good, but I can see it get boring quickly.
- Table Tennis - Virtually hit the ball back and forth. You can lob it up in the air with a different button. Fun, but my Niece was having a hard time imagining the table we were playing on.
- Baby - Just terrible. Couldn't get it to work at all. You put both joycons in the Switch and have it in your arms and try to 'rock' the baby to sleep. Neither of us could seem to get the correct motion to stop the baby screaming, and what even is the point of the loving game? You put the baby to sleep and then try to put the controller down as softly as possible on a flat surface. They can't all be winners.
- Fake Draw - It's Quick Draw, but the announcer will say different F words before he says "FIRE!". Really nice variant when you want to mix things up a bit.
- Baseball - Baby may be terrible, but Baseball is probably the worst game in the pack. Could not get it at all. One person pitches, the other person tries to bat. Pitcher can do a fastball or a change-up. Batter is meant to listen for the ball coming and swing to hit it. Could not get it happening at all, even when we took turns saying when we'd be throwing it so we could try to hit it. It's Wii Sports without a visual queue. Who the gently caress thought this would be a good idea? :psyduck:

4 Spice Factor Games
Eating Contest - Take the right joycon (with the IR sensor) and hold it up to your mouth. Make a chewing motion with your mouth and eat as many sandwiches as possible. Can see the potential for competitiveness here, but boy oh boy does your jaw hurt after a bit.
- Beach Flags - 'run' in place as quick as you can until you feel you've reached the flag, and then raise it high in the air. Pretty fun little game, but it'll take a lot of energy to beat your opponent.
- Wizard Battle - Hard to explain. It's basically a Harry Potter wand battle. If you thrust your wand forward the energy moves towards your opponent more. So you're constantly pushing it back and forth. If you thrust just after your opponent, you counter them and it pushes back greatly onto them. You need to be able to see the Switch/TV to see how you're doing. Pretty fun, but it broke down into who could shake their arm more. Pretty tiring when it goes to a draw!
- Sword Fight - You're swinging your swords around and trying to hit your opponent, you can push a button and guard. If you're not guarding in the right direction you'll get hit. Sounds great in theory, but it's pretty bad in action.
- Boxing - Wii Boxing without a visual aid, and only one control in a hand. You tell me how terrible you think that concept is.
- Spinning Plates Holy gently caress this game with the right crowd would be incredible. You make a spinning motion with the joycon to keep your plate spinning and you have to keep your joycon vertial as well. The game actively encourages you to gently caress with your opponent and knock their plate off. This will be an amazing standout game with your mates.

5 Spice Factor Games
- Copy Battle - Listen to the sound queue, and then strike a pose. Your opponent then has to mirror that. Game will tell you how close you came to matching your opponent. Pretty fun.
- Fashion Show - VOGUE! STRIKE A POSE! You're walking down a runway and have to swing your hips back and forth like a fashion model. Then after 2 turns on the runway you meet in the middle and strike a few poses. Really really fun to get into and get those hips swinging.
- Air Guitar Battle - Strum along like an air guitar! Think you need to be in the right mood for this one, and it just comes off feeling silly having an arbitrary score attached to how well you've done. Dunno could be fun, but could have been just us.
- Dance Off - Legit only game we didn't play as we were getting tired at this point. You dance and then when the music stops you freeze.
- Gorilla - Beat your chest like a gorilla to the rhythm the lady gorilla in the bushes sings out. Have a better rhythm then your opponent and she'll blow you a kiss. Do this a couple of times and then you'll have a 'beat off' :v: where you can pound your chest as much as possible for extra points at the end to determine a winner. Fun, but very physical. Also the game will literally stop and warn you NOT to physically hit your chest, but just do it in the air in front of you. Lawsuit The Game.

Favourite Games
Spinning Plates
Fashion Show
Ball Counting
Quick Draw/Fake Draw
Samurai Training

Worst Games
Baseball
Baby
Boxing
Sword Fight
Air Guitar Battle

All in all I think this is a pretty solid collection of games. Obviously a great party game, but the price factor is what will keep people from purchasing it. 100% should have been a pack-in game. Had I not been able to get this extremely cheaply at launch, I honestly wouldn't have bought it. They're great games, but not at the price point they're asking for.
If you're going to a party though and can spare the cash, go for it. You'll have a blast!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have fun US goons

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just remember to lick the carts to ensure it's an official Nintendo product

If it tastes like poo poo, you know you're on a winner :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just played a bunch of Zelda in bed with the Switch propped up sideways on a pillow.
Laid next to it on my side, with my arms in weird positions with a joycon in each hand.

Surprisingly comfortable and playable :v:

The future of lazy gaming is here!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But yo, can you imagine people with disabilities or injuries now being able to play a Switch because they can hold the controls in a position that feels comfortable for them?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Has anyone purchased Puyo Puyo Tetris from the Japanese eShop? If so does it have the option to swap to English?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Recommend me a case that doesn't take 2 loving months to ship like the PDP ones.

Just do what Kotaku did, and put it in a scratchy sock

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Homebrew when? Wanna have portable Secret of Mana (Again)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wish Shovel Knight was like $20 instead of $32.50AUD on the Aus eShop.

Be a bit more enticing to buy it again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

beergod posted:

Shovel knight is good drat

Yeah it's not $33 rebuy good tho.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AUD

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Time to hop on a train and play some Zelda.

Lets see how long the battery lasts! :toot:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

2.5-3 hours on Zelda.

Lets see how long Zelda lasts in airplane mode + low brightness :toot:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Playing Switch on the train was fun.

Didn't help I went to an area in BotW that is permanently raining and dark as gently caress tho

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

beergod posted:

What is ideal Zelda playing on a train?

Tablet mode with joycons attached

Don't be that weird idiot on the train with a pro controller jfc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does Puyo Puyo come with english menus + text?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

So is it just a Musou game or whatever? You just run around killing like 1000s of slimes and then pursue Lu Bu?

Do not pursue Lu Bu!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

In my experience, the kickstand does the job :shrug:

IS IT THOUGH?!

http://i.imgur.com/q7jma8G.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

I'm staying out of the Zelda thread for spoiler, but does anyone know how frequently you can scan in amiibo?

Once a day

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Dont the non-BOTW amiibo just give you basic food/rupees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfFnLoiLqk

The original Link Smash Bros amiibo will give you Epona on the first scan (Make sure you stable him straight away or you'll lose him if he dies, as he's a 1-time scan) after that you get items/armour/etc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I just want to play Mario golf on a system that doesn't look like piss rear end poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhvOtFd2uAs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isn't this Not-Castlevania by one of the original Castlevania devs?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2DH-nKBeA

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It is ridiculous how good Zelda is

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:bisonyes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LcnKRtUfqY

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TIL if you HOLD the Home button you get a Quick Access Menu that lets you:
- Put console to Sleep
- Adjust Brightness (When not in docked mode)
- Turn Airplane mode on/off (When not in docked mode)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol at people having issues getting the joycon sliders off.

They're tight for sure, but I think they're designed that way to stop Wiimote-in-TV style incidents

Put the little T clip down, then push up firmly. That's it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Idk if this is still the case, but the $25 game was 225MX on the Mexico eShop, which works out to $11-12 depending on your credit card's international transaction fee. Make a new user and Nintendo Account, say you live in Mexico, and buy it up. It seems identical to the US version of the game. It's probably the same files with no active region flags. Shows up as "purchased" in the US eShop, and can be played on any user account.

That actually works out pretty well in AUD.

It's $13 here just for Spectre and $15 for the whole thing if you go the Mexican route.

Might do this later.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

That actually works out pretty well in AUD.

It's $13 here just for Spectre and $15 for the whole thing if you go the Mexican route.

Might do this later.

Just did this. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove is 500MXN, which is $33.

So no go. They either jacked the price or you got lucky.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gently caress it. Bought Shovel Knight TT. :toot:

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Okay okay I finally could not resist, and I licked my Zelda Switch cartridge. Couldn't taste anything. I might be immune to it?

Has anybody else licked the cart and come away unscathed?

You should see a doctor because obviously there is something wrong with you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OK Shovel Knight is pretty much perfect on the Switch in handheld mode

Can't wait for Faux-Advance Wars :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_O9Py2QK3E

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think anything beats the 3DS's 1:1 pixels, D-Pad and 3D (if you want it.)

I'm blind as a bat, so giant screen in bed with no glasses in is a big win for me :v:

I'm really hoping we'll get homebrew running on it in the next few months. Gonna SNES it up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:bisonyes:

Of the 2 Wonderboy games coming, Wonderboy and Monsterboy, Dragon's Trap looks the far more enjoyable game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would honestly like a Skyward Sword HD port as I've never played it.

Then also port Link Between Worlds, because I want a top-down Zelda on the Switch :v:

Then make more Zeldas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HD Gamecube games would be nice if they outsourced them to a 3rd party team to port them to the eshop.

Super Mario Sunshine HD :swoon:
Super Mario Strikers HD :syoon:
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD :swoon::syoon:

Or you know... new games in those series :v:

• Locked thread